OCR00703 - Fear Effect "Cel-Shaded Geisha"

Saunders

i thought id comment on this song since i was involved with the making of it. i realize that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and believe me i can take criticism of any kind well.

first off on the issue of the samples... yeah i know that they coulda been clearer, but for the ones of the game we had to record them on a 4 track first, (an analog one mind you) and then transfer them onto computer, so the sound quality as im sure you can imagine was less desirable than we wanted. we also deliberated for days on how to process the samples so that they could be heard properly, because with all the bass, it kinda drowned out the samples at their regular tone and volume. personally i wasnt real crazy about the flanger, but we didn't have many options that sounded good and had clarity.

if you've heard the original, you know that its basically drum sequences, with little real music, so we had to come up with some new melodies for the bass to still keep interest, while still making it sound like the original...

plus, the guitar and bass are live, and they are a bitch to master, and still make them sound good. but we try, and are learning new things about it with each mix.

ok just thought id throw these things out there.... i cant wait to read what yall think of the song :wink:

Reminds me very much of Aphex Twin, but a little more contemporary. And here is a clue for you buddy, I love Aphex Twin, so that means I probably enjoyed it extremely. But lefty, I think you should have remained silent or just claimed that all the mistakes and blemishes were all part of the initial artistic concept, and therefore were intentional. :P Seriously, I think this song in its entirety (including the samples), is amazing and freakish. Which is why I say great work.

well technically its not cel shading in the video game sense... but the term was coined long ago, before video game cel shading was started (circa the release of akira), to describe anime style graphics, where solid colors are used to shade instead of varying tones of black or whatever, so in that sense, its cel shading sorta. atleast it sounds better than "polygonal geisha"

• 3 months later...

Great song. Good guitar work, good atomosphere, good use of Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels sample. I agree with Ginnsu that the sample flaws actually improve the song, I don't really hear any Aphex Twin in here (this is far too straightforward and melodic to remind my of anything by Mr. James...)

My only complaint is that technically, this is a Retro Helix remix. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most (if not all,) of the dialogue samples are from RH. A sampling:

"Was it worth dying for?" - from RH's opening vid. Hana talking to the dead body in the bathtub.

"You had your fun on that pony ride" (?) - right after Hana kills the first boss, referring to Rain's experience with the Hentai-tentacle lookin' machine.

"God, do you ever stop? And here's a clue for you buddy, my eyes are up HERE!" - Hana's second exchange with the dumbass at the party on disc 2.

I think the song this is built off of was in both FE games, though. Overall, great song.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Earf*****g. Horrible, painful, earf*****g. The other songs by Rosencrantz & guildensterN were good in their own way, but this is digital pain in it's purest form. Knife-sharp samples blurred together with weird, high-pitched drum samples creates the worst remix on this site. Sorry guys, better try again.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

It sets great atmosphere and never lets up throughout. Good stage music. :)

The prominent howling (siren?) at the start works well (0:20-0:50) and the harder bit at 1:44-2:00 is also welcome.

hmm... with my head phones I can't make out all the words, but none of them grate on my ears either.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00703 - Fear Effect "Cel-Shaded Geisha"