Rock Band: Harmonix tops itself

sephfire

This is exactly what I was wishing for future Guitar Hero installments. I enjoyed the GH games but for some reason, despite how awesome they were, always felt like they were lacking something. This game sounds like it's going to be the answer for everything.

So what bands do you hope they get? I hope for more Megadeth (Holy Wars and Tornado of Souls please!), old Metallica (Orion or Fight Fire With Fire would be sweet), Slayer (Raining Blood!), more Pantera, more Jimi Hendrix, some AC/DC, and if they can some Death but I doubt that.

Hell, we need some more power & progressive metal here, and some more prog rock too. Electric blues would be fun too, but I doubt the tracklist would be all that great - GH 1 had a bunch of crap tracks, and GH 2 was even worse with that, so if the short term trend is any indication, the tracklist will get even worse as the idea has already hit gaming mainstream.

Hell, we need some more power & progressive metal here, and some more prog rock too. Electric blues would be fun too, but I doubt the tracklist would be all that great - GH 1 had a bunch of crap tracks, and GH 2 was even worse with that, so if the short term trend is any indication, the tracklist will get even worse as the idea has already hit gaming mainstream.

Your opinion, of course. I thought the tracklists were fantastic for both games.

Obviously, you care not for actual good music, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Truly, this sounds like a complete mess really. I can understand Bass and Electric, but drums and microphone in the same game? I see WAY too many accessories and WAY too much money beng spent on it. I can't see myself spending $50-$60 for the game, $30-$40 extra for a special guitar for that game, another $40 for the mic, then the drum set, yeah, bad idea to me.

Obviously, you care not for actual good music, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Wtf?

I know many who don't like much of the GH2 tracklist, all with pretty wide musical backgrounds - most of my friends have been modding their GH2 and replacing the songs with better ones simply because the tracklist is pretty bad in general, although there are a few good ones in there.

Makes me wonder what atrocities you consider good music.

Wtf?

I know many who don't like much of the GH2 tracklist, all with pretty wide musical backgrounds - most of my friends have been modding their GH2 and replacing the songs with better ones simply because the tracklist is pretty bad in general, although there are a few good ones in there.

Makes me wonder what atrocities you consider good music.

For a mod, you sure troll a lot.

Am I the only one who is starting to find the concept a little over the top. A whole fake video game band? If you can get people together enough to play the game to make all the hardware worth your money, it seems like you should go form a band (which would require learning how to play music). I'm sure it'll be fun, but it will be absurdly fun.

I own Guitar Hero 1 (I didn't like the playlist of the 2nd one at all). Does this make me a hypocrite?

I believe you started it, sir.

GH 1 had a bunch of crap tracks, and GH 2 was even worse with that, so if the short term trend is any indication, the tracklist will get even worse as the idea has already hit gaming mainstream.

I don't see how you could've expected any form of constructive discussion to come from that post.

I believe you started it, sir.

I don't see how you could've expected any form of constructive discussion to come from that post.

Simple, I wasn't naming particular songs. But anyone play the first two a lot? How many songs would you actually play over again? I know I stuck to only a handful since either I couldn't stand a lot of them (after the obligatory one time play of course) or they weren't fun to play through, and most of my friends were the same. I think that warrants calling the majority crap songs.

Simple, I wasn't naming particular songs. But anyone play the first two a lot? How many songs would you actually play over again? I know I stuck to only a handful since either I couldn't stand a lot of them (after the obligatory one time play of course) or they weren't fun to play through, and most of my friends were the same. I think that warrants calling the majority crap songs.

No, it warrants saying that you couldn't stand a lot of the songs. :P If you had done that in the first place instead of flamebaiting, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

But since you asked, here's the songs I play through on a regular basis:

"More Than a Feeling" - Boston

"Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand

"Sharp Dressed Man" - ZZ Top

"Killer Queen" - Queen

"Symphony of Destruction" - Megadeth

"Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie

"Fat Lip" - Sum 41

"Cochise" - Audioslave

"Spanish Castle Magic" - Jimi Hendrix

"Higher Ground" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

"No One Knows" - Queens of the Stone Age

"Crossroads" - Cream

"Godzilla" - Blue Öyster Cult

"Texas Flood" - Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Frankenstein" - The Edgar Winter Group

"Cowboys from Hell" - Pantera

"Bark at the Moon" - Ozzy Osbourne

"Cheat on the Church" - Graveyard BBQ

"Even Rats" - The Slip

"Get Ready 2 Rokk" - Freezepop

"Cavemen Rejoice" - The Bags

"All of This" - Shaimus

"The Breaking Wheel" - Artillery

Hardly a handful, and that's just from the first game. I actually like most of the other songs, but these are my favorites. And some of them I left off because I actually played them way too much (i.e. all of tier 1).

My GH2 list is even longer (which actually surprises even me). Probably because the good/bad ratio admittedly seems a little bit lower.

* "Shout at the Devil" - Mötley Crüe

* "Mother" - Danzig

* "Woman" - Wolfmother

* "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight" - Spınal Tap

* "Strutter" - KISS

* "Heart-Shaped Box" - Nirvana

* "Message in a Bottle" - The Police

* "You Really Got Me" - Van Halen

* "Carry On Wayward Son" - Kansas

* "War Pigs" - Black Sabbath

* "Cherry Pie" - Warrant

* "Sweet Child O'Mine" - Guns N' Roses

* "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine

* "John the Fisherman" - Primus

* "Freya" - The Sword

* "Last Child" - Aerosmith

* "Crazy on You" - Heart

* "Rock This Town" - Stray Cats

* "Jessica" - The Allman Brothers Band

* "Psychobilly Freakout" - The Reverend Horton Heat

* "YYZ" - Rush

* "Beast and the Harlot" - Avenged Sevenfold

* "Misirlou" - Dick Dale

* "Hangar 18" - Megadeth

* "Gemini" - Brian Kahanek

* "Less Talk More Rokk" - Freezepop

* "Jordan" - Buckethead (although I never actually beat it ;_;)

* "Six" - All That Remains

* "Soy Bomb" - Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives

* "Thunderhorse" - Dethklok

* "Trogdor" - Strong Bad

I'd play Freebird more often, but it's too dang long. :P

No, it warrants saying that you couldn't stand a lot of the songs. :P If you had done that in the first place instead of flamebaiting, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

But since you asked, here's the songs I play through on a regular basis:

"More Than a Feeling" - Boston

"Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand

"Sharp Dressed Man" - ZZ Top

"Killer Queen" - Queen

"Symphony of Destruction" - Megadeth

"Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie

"Fat Lip" - Sum 41

"Cochise" - Audioslave

"Spanish Castle Magic" - Jimi Hendrix

"Higher Ground" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

"No One Knows" - Queens of the Stone Age

"Crossroads" - Cream

"Godzilla" - Blue Öyster Cult

"Texas Flood" - Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Frankenstein" - The Edgar Winter Group

"Cowboys from Hell" - Pantera

"Bark at the Moon" - Ozzy Osbourne

"Cheat on the Church" - Graveyard BBQ

"Even Rats" - The Slip

"Get Ready 2 Rokk" - Freezepop

"Cavemen Rejoice" - The Bags

"All of This" - Shaimus

"The Breaking Wheel" - Artillery

Hardly a handful, and that's just from the first game. I actually like most of the other songs, but these are my favorites. And some of them I left off because I actually played them way too much (i.e. all of tier 1).

Well, I can't really say about GH 2 myself (my copy of the 360 one comes in today actually), but I was just reiterating what my other friends have said, and they play both games quite a bit (although 2 more because they made it quite harder than the first one).

But about 1, the only ones I'd keep from that list is the Boston, Queen, Megadeth, Hendrix, Blue Oyster Cult, Vaughan, Edgar Winter Group, Pantera, Ozzy Osbourne, Graveyard BBQ, and Freezepop songs, and also the Judas Priest song. The others got boring fast or just didn't have enjoyable patterns to match the song itself - my friends who have the game are all in agreement, and most don't even really talk to each other (of those who have the games of course). But seeing those songs, that's only 12 of 40 songs? I'm not even saying my thoughts of those songs I kept, because I don't think highly of a few of them, but I enjoy playing them, just as I enjoyed playing Elite Beat Agents.

Can't say I didn't expect this, though I am happy they decided to go for all current-gen consoles on this one. As for drum games that were successful translations of drumming, I might point out Donkey Konga and Taiko Drum Master. Both simplifications of the actual musical instruments, obviously, but then again, so are the guitar controllers.

As for the song list, they're probably going to have to branch either farther into pop then they have thus far gone, since the focus of these games isn't exclusively the guitars. We'll see.

Having said all that with some constraint, this is fucking awesome. I have a chubby.