Death Note

I loved the finale.

I echo your statement.

*highlight*

I could not imagine Light coming out of the series alive, let alone the "winner". It was so fun to see Light's world crashing down all around him, but at the same time quite sad when it was all over. Here was a kid with great potential to do some good for the world, but he did it in all the wrong ways. I find that to be tragic.

Ryuk's words really summed things up for me - it was fun while it lasted.

My prediction earlier in this thread would have made a much cooler ending.

But really, it wasn't bad.

Not really a spoiler *Matsuda is my favorite human character - not only cause of what he did in the finale but because of his ringtone in ep19 - ROFL I downloaded that and made that my own ringtone*

I for one was very satisfied by the ending:

I'd come to hate Light so I really wanted to see him lose. It's an improvement over the manga ending imo (even though the manga ending has some stuff it'd have been nice to see in the anime - the last conversation between light and ryuk, a proper rebuttal from near, the flashback to the hidden bit about heaven/hell in light and ryuk's first conversation) - it made me feel sorry for Light, even after everything, by reminding us that he had so much potential to do so much good for the world if he hadn't run into the note.

A few things Tagging this stuff cause it's *spoiler tastic*

The following people have used the Death Note and can neither go to Heaven nor Hell

-Light

-Misa

-Ray Penbar - This is very unfortunate

-Mello's henchman who tested it

-Mello (Assuming he personally was the killer of the SPK folk)

-Higuchi

-Mikami

-Takada

That's a pretty depressing list.

Interesting fact: Sachiko Yagami did the eye deal at most a couple days before his death. He was at the end of his life regardless.

*spoiler tastic*

I really had never thought about most of those people on that list...

But really, wouldn't that be a plus for Mello and whoever? I mean, they don't end up in hell. Surely Mu is better than that?

Also, what were the exact circumstances of Sachiko Yagami doing the deal? I don't remember much of that.

Actually that's the really surprising bit of the last chapter that some people didn't get and I wish was left in as clearly as it was in the manga: everyone goes to nothingness, regardless of whether they wrote in the death note or not. Yes, everyone who writes in the death note cannot go to heaven or hell but neither can anyone else: heaven and hell don't exist, only Mu.

I had to wait until after the VGL meetup to watch this with my friend. We've followed the whole series week by week, we've been watching anime together since... 1998 or so... and we both think this is one of the best things we've seen. I had no real problems with how they ended the series; it didn't seem rushed, it was dramatic but not overdramatized, which was very key, and the matter-of-fact way that revelations were handled was very effective.

I think this deserves to be remembered as one of the better anime, and will be. I also find it cool that they ran a season and a half, and didn't try to stretch things out too long or cut them off too quick. Very few shows end at episode 37, but very few shows are like Death Note.

Awesome.

Mid-way through the series I actually grew to dislike both L and Light for their methods (murder and torture) and personalities. This was the first time I loved the series but didn't actually like any of the characters. However, when the second season began, I found myself respecting Light's intelligence more.

As for the ending, I think the manga ending was a tad bit better, even if it really wasn't that much different. This is a different kind of ending and I can understand why many people didn't like it. Personally, I think it was a very powerful conclusion to the series and I didn't feel cheated at all. Definitely one of the better anime series I have seen in a while.

Now that the series is over, I'll go ahead and give my thoughts of it as a whole. Possible spoilers ahead!

I thought this series was actually a breath of fresh air as far as anime goes. Sure, I'll watch a lot of the stuff even if the ideas and concepts have been overused all the way to hell and back(like vampire anime which I love and cannot help). In this respect, I already found myself enjoying Death Note immensely(unless there's a whole vein of this sort of anime that I've missed). I absolutely loved the portrayal of people in general, the characters, and the concept of the Death God world.

Once the whole element of L as the amazing, world-famous super sleuth and the mind chess games played between the leads were introduced, my friend(who gave me the idea to download the series) and I were instahooked. Not only that, but the sheer brilliance of Light's character when totally playing several characters(most noticeably Penbar's soon-to-be wife) was beyond epic.

Animation was definitely top notch without question, and the music was very fitting to the feel of the anime, the heavy strings/choir piece that plays during the tense moments for example, and was quite excellent. I need that soundtrack.

For the most part, I was hooked from Ep.1 all the way to 25, but it started to slow down too much for my tastes after that for a few episodes, although it came right back shortly after. Everything that led up to the finale and the finale itself was all done amazingly well and I would probably watch it all again.

In short, I thought Death Note was quite awesome and I would definitely recommend it to other anime-goers to check it out.

Did I mention how much I loved this series yet? Sure the Yotsuba arc lacked a little something, but that was more than made up for by eps 23-25, and yeah after ep 26 the show seemed to have lost something essential, but the ending really was terfically well done. Given that those last few minutes of 25, and the second half of 36 were some of the most tense in my entire history of tv series viewing, I'm more than willing to forgive the show for its shortcomings. I have every ep on my HD but heck yes I am buying the dvd when it comes out, crap dubbing and all.

Anyone who liked Mamoru Myano's voice acting as Light might be interested in this translated blog entry he made on the last ep. Spoilers, of course.

http://community.livejournal.com/death_note/1130923.html

and the original blog: http://mycasty.jp/mamo/

Despite the fact that it's been such a rage out here for so long, (It was on TV last weekend but I missed it!) I still haven't seen this. Just by the sound of the title I thought that it might be some kind of cross between murder mystery and horror. Is that what it really is like? If so, do you think that even a person who totally hates that kind of genre could like this anime? If you tell yes, then I'll check it out yo. ^_^

So I watched the Death Note live action 2-movie set.

Spoilertagging.

They had to take a lot of information out of it. They completely removed the Yotsuba arc, having Rem give the note straight to Takada. Mikami, N, Mello were completely removed. The ending was kind of a mix between ep25 and ep37 ... events much like ep37 but with the story at ep25. Misa had black hair wtf. Also Naomi's sidestory was completely different -- They gave Light a new girlfriend who Naomi takes hostage rofl. Demegawa isn't fat. The Shinigami are very good CG, though they gave Rem a masculine voice...

I didn't like the movies very much. They needed a better actor for Light, but the actor for Watari was perfect.