CMC - Conceptual Music Competition 6: Into the Virtual World (RESULTS!!!)

Abadoss

CMC: Conceptual Music Competition

abadoss-CMC.jpg

This competition is based on the rules of the classic TOMC (Thematic Original Music Competition).

The CMC (Conceptual Music Competition) is designed so that each participant enters a piece of music based on a set theme. The participants take the theme and interpret it as they will to come up with something that fits. Any style can work, as long as it portrays a sense of what the theme is.

Feel free to be imaginative!

Each successive theme will be chosen by the winner of the previous competition. For example, say the theme of the last competition, CMC 18, was "Riding Camels" and the winner, Sarah, submitted a piece that knocked the socks off of everyone, so she won. Sarah then gets to decide the theme for CMC 19.

This competition is open to registered members of the forums of

OverClocked ReMix, VGMix, Ormgas, VGMusic, and SheezyArt.

CMC6-forums.jpg

CMC 6: Into the Virtual World

"The hero is suddenly drawn to a virtual world inside of a computer. Think Tron! Digital cities made of holographs, lots of fluorescent lights, anything you think a virtual world would look (and sound) like. Very out of this world." -Sir_NutS

Results!:

There are 11 entries for this round...

James "Mark" McGlocken - "Sonic Splash"

• "The Main Character gets sucked into the digital world, everything is sideways, there is no up from down, no left from right. 'I'm fighting to save her.' while the bad guy has the main character in his grasp 'Lose all thoughts... You won't come out of here alive' while the main character must fight on 'I won't stop... I can't stop... as long as my heart keeps beating... In the name of love I won't lose...'"

stringfield - "The Millennium Bug"
  • "For me, the largest danger of living in a virtual, computerized world would be things like errors, or viruses because they would become real. Bearing that in mind I wrote this piece, about the Millennium Bug as I think it would have appeared in virtual reality. My main influence in writing this piece was from carnival, funfair sort of music largely because its a style I feel comfortable in but also because I wanted my creature to have a 'different' feel to it, because its digital. There's something about that sort of music that can be quite chilling, which I felt was appropriate for a virus. I also wanted my piece to be a little different from the stereotypical computer pieces with all the computer effects and electronica because that's not my style lol. A warning in advance though, in places this piece is quite loud and high pitched. It gave me a headache writing it! lol"

Chris Manson - "Enter the Virtual World"

• "This piece depicts someone awakening in a virtual world, full of weird and wonderful things. It's like a city within a computer, tall structures made of data with avatars wandering around, packets delivered at high speed along fast information roads... You get the idea. Our hero gets stuck inside a game briefly, where he scrambles fearfull for his life trying to get out. Eventually he finds his way back to the path, and continues wandering through the virtual city."

Nikita Ukanyu - "Digital Plateau"
  • "0:01-0:28: The Hero is sucked into his computer and begins falling through what seems to be endless amounts of data.
    0:29-0:50: He finally lands and begins looking at all the things flying around him (be imaginitive).
    0:51-1:16: He notices the cliché destination building in the game due to it looking like the coolest most artsy building there.
    1:06-1:17: He begins walking towards it.
    1:18-1:39: He walks through town looking curiously at all the data doing their daily activities.
    1:39-1:59: He makes it to the building and just as you're about to save the game...
    2:00-2:03: ...you kick the power lead out of the back of your computer with your foot."

IceWind91 - "Binary City"

• "The hero gets sucked into a computer, only to find a surreal, bustling city filled with neon lights set against a dark backdrop. Ones and zeros fly overhead, making strange noises as they pass by."

XFactor - "Virtuality"
  • "The mental image I had of this is like a digital rave party, if that makes sense. Something like that."

Chickenwarlord - "Phasing Out"

• "This piece is very minimalistic as I enjoyed the concept of the piece but didn't have a lot of time to work on something complicated. The idea is one shifting in between two planes of existence, different parts of them being switched around and being distorted while at the same time maintaining commonality."

Maquis - "Into the Ether"
  • "Our heroes are exploring an underground city of sentient computers. The corridors are lined with pulsing data streams, arcing conduits, dazzling arrays of light and color - each room contains wonders more amazing and mystifying than the last, all of them alien and strangely organic. At last they come to the central hub where all the conduits empty into one luminous data stream that feeds the computer core. Curiosity gets the better of one of the explorers, who approaches the data stream while the other shouts at him to stay back. Mesmerized, he gets too close, and he is caught in the current and vanishes."

Kris Davis - "Inside My Head" (Lyrics)

• "As usual I'm taking an unconventional interpretation of this theme and turning it to relate directly with what's going on in my own life. This song was built on an idea that's been at the back of mind for some time, and something that's always been floating around there everytime I put my music out into the public eye, which I mainly do over the internet, in various online communities, open to the criticism of complete strangers and faceless nobodys to me, who are sometimes objective, sometimes supportive, often harsh & critical and occasionaly complete assholes who make me think I'd be better off just giving up completely.
    The lyrics of the song relate to all these questions floating around in my head, is it all worth while, am I letting myself get too wrapped up in the opinions of all these virtual people (the bridge directly refers to this, while the chorus is the re-assurance saying fuck it all and just get on with it) and do I rely too much on the opinions of people I've only ever heard from in this virtual world we call the internet.
    The extro is like a meandering steam of consciousness, trying to pull myself away from this virtual world and back into the real world, whilst trying to tie all the ideas of the song together."

Alex Smith - "Fantasy of the Temporal Mystics"

• "I have kept three main subject areas in mind that convey a sense of the theme:
    - A mysterious, "out of this world" element.
    - The grandeur and splendor of the virtual world. Imagine the sight of a whole other world in all its glory.
    - A slightly dark, almost fearsome tone. The hero must be cautious and wary of unknown dangers: the prospect of being thrown into a completely new, daunting world must instill a degree of fear into even the bravest of hearts.
    In terms of harmony and melody I have tried to keep it all interesting and unusual. This is to contribute to the overall sense of a fantastical, perhaps futuristic landscape.
    The final thing I would like to mention is the structure and episodic nature of the piece. The music conveys the hero's journey through the world: the ever-changing sections and ideas reflect the hero's unpredictable path and adventures. Every twist and turn in the music links to the next stage in his/her journey."

The Prophet of Mephisto - "I Hold with Those Who Favor Fire"

• "The inspiration of this piece came from Robert Frost's poem 'Fire and Ice'. I started out with the piano chords (which comprise the hero's theme) - somewhat funky, reflecting his character, and also kinda unsettled because he has no idea where he is. He's walking along, getting a beat going, and it's feeling kinda good, and the poem starts running through his head as he starts to get somewhat unsettled at the odd landscape that he sees. As the different distorted instruments come in, we see how he starts to feel more and more ill at ease, culminating when he fights some evil computer-chip enemies during the chopped part about 2/3ds of the way through. As he gets past them, he starts to settle down and walks off into the distance."

Voting Rules!:
  • Voters will be allowed to pick a first place (3 points) and any number of honorary mentions (1 point). Only one set of votes from any one voter will be accepted and a person cannot vote for any one piece more than once. Corrections to votes, from the original voter only, will be accepted, but corrections will void the previous votes. Basically, a voter can vote and correct the vote, but only the final form of that vote will be counted. Send all votes to
Abadoss by PM. Please include any and all constructive critiques (not to be confused with bashing) about them with your votes as well, so that there's always a sense of growth in the artform. If you wish to remain anonymous, just state so in your PM. Thanks.

• The voting period will last from the moment the entries are posted in the thread to the Saturday of that week. The voting period for this round ends April 21, so be sure to spend some time really listening to the pieces.

• Any participant in the competition can vote, but not for their own pieces. However, in an effort to encourage voting among participants, any participant who votes will have 2 points added to their voting score.

Official Rules!:

1. Each piece must be originally composed for this competition. Arrangements and remixes will not be accepted. (Pieces composed by the participant prior to the competition will not be accepted.)
  2. Each piece must be 2:00 or longer and match the competition theme.
  3. Only one entry per person. Collaborations will be allowed, but each collaborator may not submit any other pieces. (This also means that a person cannot collaborate on two or more different pieces at the same time.)
  4. A link to the entry piece must be PMed to Abadoss prior to the deadline set for each competition. DO NOT POST THE LINK IN THE THREAD! However, feel free to post in the WIP:Other forum.
  5. Important: Each file must be labelled accordingly: Composer_Name_-_Composition_Title_CMC#.mp3
    (For example, if Ruby Edwards submits a piece called "To the World Above" to CMC 13, then her filename would be: Ruby_Edwards_-_To_the_World_Above_CMC13.mp3)
  6. MP3 file format is required. Know that even OGG will need to be converted into MP3. (If someone is unable to do so themselves, Abadoss would be willing and able to do it for them.)
  7. Entries should be accompanied by a description and/or story to help listeners understand what the piece is about. (Not required, though.)
  8. All entries must be submitted by Saturday, April 14, 2007 at 11:59 PM - PST, GMT-8.

You can find the competition threads for each forum listed below:

Good luck and have fun! :D

Previous CMCs: http://www.warnerpacific.edu/personal/kkeyn/CMC.htm

not quite the theme I wouldve hoped for, but I'm sure I can twist it enough to suit my current style of writing :P Not really in the mood for spacey computery effets, tried it once for college assignments...failed miserabley hehe. Should be an interesting month, hoping to see people taking lots of creative liberties with this one, I know I will.

sorry EM haters :P

So here I was, looking forward to making my OCRemix debut through this month's CMC, thinking I'll come out pretty well as long as I don't have to do some sort of electronica...

Screw it. I'm doing an orchestrated piece. And I'm going to make it work. Somehow. :)

So here I was, looking forward to making my OCRemix debut through this month's CMC, thinking I'll come out pretty well as long as I don't have to do some sort of electronica...

Screw it. I'm doing an orchestrated piece. And I'm going to make it work. Somehow. :)

Good. You should never let a theme keep you from any genre if you can pull it off.

I know I broached on this on my last entry with the indian vocals, but are full vocal songs allowable, or is the focus more on the musical interpretations of the theme?

I have a song in mind and lyrics already, just toying with some ideas at the moment...

Just as a way of getting a fire under you guys, you're currently being seriously out-done by VGMusic. They have three entries in so far. Even SheezyArt, which just barely got on board, has one in already! Only five days left (if you count today), so don't slack off!

quality over quantity my dear man, quality over quantity :)

mine will be done, rest assured. vocals are soooooooooooooo tedious and time consuming to mix correctly....

Well, I'm done.

Virtuality

This is the best piece of music I've ever made as well, mostly due to the fact that I'm not such a n00b when it comes to FL Studio as I was around the time I joined. :P

not supposed to post the link here, pm it to abadoss and they're all released together on sunday.

Also, 95% complete and I get writer's block. 4am miracle my &^$&^$%

and also, that wikiupload is terrible, i cant even download the file because of the backwards form system they're using.