IceCap Zone "BrainFreeze" UPDATE 8 YEARS LATER

The initial synths are pretty horrible. They remind me of going to the dentist, or a sawmill... Is it supposed to sound like a guitar?

The intro is too long and repetitive. Everything feels very mechanical and inorganic in an unpleasant way.

A clone of the first synth comes in and it still feels like an intro. Where the hell are the drums? Lots of dissonance - the bassline doesn't fit with the melody at all.

The softer synths that eventually replace the sawmill sounds are pretty nice, but I'm still missing percussion.

You need to work on making more stuff happen, all the time, to keep things interesting. It all feels very static, especially the beginning, with the horrible distorted synths. Try adding some pads here and there, some nice drums and modulating the melody instruments so they don't feel like they're on autopilot.

Additionally, I would advise you to work a little more on your wips before posting them here, if you don't wanna get this kind of critisism. It can be very annoying to have someone else tell you about flaws and problems you're already aware of. Work it up to where you think it's good, and then see what others think. :)

The song is very piercing......and not in "shakes you to your soul" way, but a "nails on the chalkboard" way. I think it would help to add more drums to balance out the soundscape, and please, please change up some of those synths/guitar samples. I think you can make this into somethin good, btu you'll need to totally rework it...

And I agree with BGC, this defintiely a unique take on IceCap.

• 8 years later...

i went back to this stupid fucking thing: http://spellmynamewithabang.com/post/128012918968/so-i-did-the-remix-thing-for-that-a-few-hours

i made the original with an fl studio demo on my mom's computer in 2007 over the course of 3 days. this one was made on my mom's computer with an fl studio demo in 2015 over the course of 2 hours, right now. it's still a wip, i guess? lots of placeholder drums, who cares. samples the original a lot, i don't know if i'll ever finish it, i'm just tooling around because somebody managed to dig up the original track. which is here now, by the way: http://spellmynamewithabang.com/post/127997081423/listen-to-this-pure-trash-thing-i-made-when-i-was

lots of mixing/mastering issues i guess

blah, anyway