OCR00706 - Brave Fencer Musashi "Diet Thirstquencher"

Saunders

Brave Fencer Musashi 'Diet Thirstquencher'

*Listening while reviewing*

Mmmm, technoey goodness.

I believe Beatdrop sent me this a couple months ago to listen to.

Not a whole lot to say, although I'll agree with Pretzel, it doesn't sound like Beatdrop's stuff. I think it's less harsh than his stuff is usually. I dunno.

Conclusion: Can't say there's a lot of new, exciting stuff going on here. It's not bad, but it's just regular everyday techno to me. I think I might have liked it more if the bass were a little deeper on the drums. It seemed overall pretty soft.

My opinions.

Dude, this mix is amazing. 2:08 has to be the start highlight of the mix. The ending is just great. Tempo changes grab your attention and tell you how sexy this mix is. My only nitpick about this mix is the lack of panning on the hi-hat. This just disturbs me... Maybe because I'm a realist when it comes to percussion. But, yeah, this IS good techno. Cool stuff, Beatdrop.

When it's Beatdrop, fast paced beats is what I think we've all come to expect. He certainly had no intent on failing us in that here. I certainly like the echoed ping pong effects in this mix. My only complaint would be that at 2:10 and then at 2:18 there are a couple of not so smooth transitions in the music. It sounds like Beatdrop an interesting idea that wasn't so well executed. Other then that, great work Beatdrop, keep it up.

I thought the mix was pretty kickbutt.. It was quite energetic in alot of areas, very upbet and catchy.. One of my favorite parts was at the 1:20-1:24 part, that was truly great, gave it an epic feel at that point.

Outside of the bassline I don't see what makes this a techno theme though

I don't have much of a problem with this one. It's pretty solid all the way across, and the 2:10 tempo shift was actually pretty jarring the first time I heard it, but it grew on me. Light techno (a little too light for my tastes) but gets better at 0:56 and 1:14.

Then again I'm a bass freak (I played tuba in school, even. It's all about the bass.)

It's also good to hear ANYTHING outta BFM, it's one of my favorite Game soundtracks of all time. There's a lot to work with here, I just wish I had any sort of ability to do something like this.

7/10

There there, Rob. Once again I feel the need to reply saying that I share similar feelings as you about this remix. It's not bad or anything, it just doesn't do anything for me. Just chiming in since everyone else here disagrees with you and thinks it's great. Keep up the honest opinions Rob.

• 11 months later...

This is a great mix - it's light and catchy, like several of the Kirby mixes we have. I will admit that it's not much like Beatdrop's usual style, but that's okay because both styles are good. This is fun, with some nice samples, not long but not incredibly short, and overall just bouncy, bouncy, fun fun fun.

And as for the tempo change, I don't really like it a ton, but it's not as bad as some people would have you believe - and I do like the way it speeds up.

This mix reminds me very much of Double A Ron - Floating Islands of Beach Manitoba, so if you liked that you'll quite possibly like this, and vice versa.

• 1 month later...

I really like this one too. It's happy, so it's not like other techno-ish songs, and the instruments themselves sound really cool and different. An example of this would be the beginning, with those parts that have kind of a bass-y synthesizer-like instrument playing in the background. Excellent ReMix!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This is basically a nice sounding midi rip until the tempo changes right before the ending. There's a little bit of arrangement, but compared to a lot of Beatdrop's work, this is pretty throwaway stuff, however enjoyable.

The source tune is fantastic though, so even non-fans of the game will have something to love.

• 1 year later...

The melody is catchy. I don't know the source, but I trust OA that it's apparently not changed much from the original. I can see a lot of places Beatdrop could have gone with the melody, so it's somewhat of a shame that he didn't vary things up too much.

Overall, there isn't any big risks as DJP said, and therefore nothing really stands out. It sounds pretty run of the mill. Still enjoyable, just nothing big.

• 3 months later...

This is a case of the source being bigger than the mix, which is a shame because I really dig the production and the fluctuating tempos. Obviously, that melody is a superb choice for a remix, but I just don't see this expanding to its full potential.

I do like it however. It has bundles of energy, it's unapologetic in its crazy rhythms, and it does a decent job of cradling the melody. But is it an earth-shaker? No. No it is not.

• 1 month later...

I'm just glad that someone made a remix for this game. Honestly, it's not bad.

I really wish more people would make more remixes for Brave Fencer Musashi. I would love to hear some more remixes for this title.

• 5 months later...

I listened to the source and the mix and I've got to say, this is a childhood game of mine, and this mix really doesn't do it justice.

The original manages to sound more epic, more catchy, and has less spots (well, none, in my opinion) that want to make you skip it.

It's not a horrible remix, by any chance, but it's not very good when compared to the source.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00706 - Brave Fencer Musashi "Diet Thirstquencher"