Full files?

Anyone ever done/consider this?

I've been thinking of ways for newbies like myself to effectively break into the business that is OCR. But remixing takes a while to learn, and then you have to worry about mastering subtleties and the like. There's no quick and easy way, but I was thinking of something which might help:

I imagine (hope) most remixers are smart and back up their remix projects in whatever program they choose to use. The details of said projects would be very telling of exactly what the remixer did to get a particular sound. So, I wonder, why can't people post the remix files themselves? If we have the same programs as one another (and it sounds like for the most part we do) it would be an easy, excellent and cheap way for people to see firsthand exactly how others have done what they've done.

I expect some people might take issue with this idea because the person who has suddenly been handed these finished tracks can suddenly go ahead and claim the piece as their own. Fair enough, but that's why we should keep it limited to mixes which have already been approved and posted, effectively preventing any sort of full-fledged thievery. Anything less than the whole remix itself (i.e. a particular sondfont, bassline, MIDI sequence, etc) sounds to me like things people would be willing to share anyway.

Thoughtz? Am I full of crap? I hope not, since I think this could work out well.

i've been wanting to release the project files for my stuff but pretty much nobody uses Logic.

now that i have Live, though, i will probably put something out eventually.

most of my work is (perhaps deceptively) minimalist, so my tunes could be adapted for this purpose without too much difficulty.

i did however make some General MIDI adaptations a few years back:

- aquacadence

SMB3 Underwater orchestral arrangement (original)

- final fanta legends

Final Fantasy Legends piano arrangement (remastered original)

- sonik azure

Sonic3 Azure Lake bisexual remix. guitar parts transcribed as well. (original)

cheers.

Could we start with Reason or FL Studio? They're cross-platform, relatively user friendly and they both have their own support forums (which leads me to believe that they're well known around here). MIDI arrangements are useful to a degree, but my ear isn't good enough to compose faithful arrangements myself so, if possible, I'd like to remix a song using a MIDI that has already been created. With that in mind, it's the real nitty gritty of soundfonts, effects, and the like that I was after.

that must be some good crack you're on to think that Fruity Loops is cross-platform.

but if you're looking specifically for Reason project files, i think Rayza and SGX released some.

go ask them about it.

for FL project files, you can try checking out the FL compo.. i think they share the .flp files or something.

Protricity released some of his tracker files a long time ago, but i wouldn't know where to start on finding them.

• 1 month later...

I would love to do this, but there is no way I can. I posted a mixing project a few months ago, finished audio tracks that the people here could mix and master, but as far as posting a project file, that's impossible. First of all, not many people here use Cubase, and even if I were to post a zip with midi+audio files, it would be about 500mb in size. Also, every project is dependent on the virtual instruments and plug-ins I use... so yeah, no SnappleMan project files here.

Now, if you want to get specific, and have people post MIDI recordings of leads and other non plug-in dependent stuff, that would work. That way anyone can import it, and use whatever instruments or synths they want (given that the file would be compliant with GM or not use any exclusive events). If anyone ever wants some Drumkit From Hell Superior MIDIs of mine, or MIDI recordings I use in my projects, they're welcome.

I would be interested in checking out the DFHS midis you used for the Sonic project (Doomsday and Malicious Fingers, assuming those were in fact DFHS). How do you make them? A keyboard or something like the Trigger Finger? E-Drums?

I'd actually be more interested in how they're mastered, since that isn't something I've totally come to terms with and I find my drums often sound weak.

I punch in most of my drums using the drum editor in Cubase and then add the embellishments with a keyboard (I made a DFHS chart and taped it onto my keyboard so I don't forget where everything is) and I find that gives me the most realistic sounding drums. I just can't seem to get things tight enough on the production side.

http://www.sgxmusic.com/tutorials.htm

Sgx has kindly put a few on his site. The ICO one is particularly interesting because its all using default samples and made up synths, no extras at all.

Thanx Fishy. This is exactly what I was after. I know that files from any program other than Reason or FL will probably not work, since they all depend on exterior VSTs. But as someone who's just starting, I don't mind limiting myself to those two programs in order to get the feel.

Can the mods make a sticky for these in the Reason and FL forums?

Now, if you want to get specific, and have people post MIDI recordings of leads and other non plug-in dependent stuff, that would work. That way anyone can import it, and use whatever instruments or synths they want (given that the file would be compliant with GM or not use any exclusive events). If anyone ever wants some Drumkit From Hell Superior MIDIs of mine, or MIDI recordings I use in my projects, they're welcome.

I mentioned before why pure MIDIs are only so helpful to me (since it's the stuff after it's imported that I'm really after at this point) but it certainly can't hurt to have them. Being that I'm a drummer and all.