OCR01565 - Wario Land II "Syrup's Secret Stash"

djpretzel

The intro reminds me a lot of the "Burg Lost" theme from the original Lunar. Once this gets going, it's incredible. The wah guitar is utterly pimp. This whole track evokes the 70s - as DJP said, running the gamut from funk to prog and hitting various other genres along the way. It's just bursting with creativity and ideas and a complete blast to listen to. A couple of the pad and arp sweeps hit piercing levels, and the volume of the mix as a whole feels inconsistent, but it's not enough to detract from the overall badassedness of the mix. This is a great piece of music.

First of all: YES - thank you for at last providing me with Wario goodness - maybe someday I can follow suit. Second - this is a pretty badass interpretation of this song. I never would have expected this style to be applied to it, especially because the original song, while awesome, was pretty bizarre. Anyway, other than your awesome game and style choices, you've actually got a lot of cool stuff packed into this groovy little tune. Your solos are a nice highlight, which reminds me - I think my favorite part of your arrangement was at 3:18 when those "melody chords" come in overlayed on your solo - took me by surprise, right at a time when I was wondering how you'd work the melody back in into the groove.

This is really difficult source material, but you took it and ran with it.

Awesomeness abound.

Wow... I didn't know it was possible, but I guess you can make great remixes using Garageband. Yeah, I can tell with the style and instruments that its GB. To tell you the truth, this remix has given me new light, and I'm gonna go back to my GB and try and make one as good as this.

Very funky blend of Funk, Acid Jazz, and Electronica! 9/10

-1 for too much wah/phase/flange.

The first bit reminded me of Super Metriod, but then the quirky feel of Warioness came into play at 1:20.

This is excellent. Perfect for dancing with that conservative Mennonite girl you have a thing for...oh wait, do Mennonites even dance?

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Oh hey now...this is...mmmm yeahhhh. Very sexy.

Normally I'm not a fan of wild panning on the lead, but it works in context here. Plus the lead performance is so awesome that it would take a whole lot to ruin it. Great use of FX to keep everything dynamic. Love the drum programming too - clean, simple, and tight.

Late 70's sitcom background music ftw!

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01565 - Wario Land II "Syrup's Secret Stash"