OCR01566 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Eastern Ice Field"

djpretzel

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BGC definitely hits the mood right, starting off with some icy pads and wind chimes. This theme has been done so many times that it's especially challenging to come up with something fresh and creative. I think BGC has accomplished that here, though. The eastern inspired instruments play things out well, but then are meshed with an aggressive beat, which kicks the energy up several notches.

I'm liking how things progress from natural to synthetic as synth elements (bass, gated, then later lead) join the fray. Nice touch with the interlude at 2:02 as well (there's a gap in sound there, which is a bit confusing but not a big deal). Love the abrupt breakin at 2:21 that edgy synth lead.

This is definitely on the more liberal side for a while in the middle, it seems, but still retains the original's underpinnings. I'm mixed on wheather the final section and fadeout did the track justice, but again, no real issue there. Great job by Circles bringing something new to an oft-remixed track.

This song reminded me of Okami. And then I thought just how freaking cool it would be if Amaterasu appeared at Ice Cap, and she had her own music for that level, god that would be it. Absolutely breathtaking.

My mind explodeded. Again.

I love this song so freaking much. It's Asian ethnic, it's techno, it's Arctic, it's amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing. Whenever I listen to this I just want to dance and groove along to it. It really feels like this came straight from the Himalayas or something like that. This is so singularly unique and astounding that you're really not going to find anything else like it and should be in your music collection right now.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing that I've always liked about this remix is the fake-out at 3:10. When I first heard the music fade off, I thought the mix was over, and then it comes back with one last big hurrah before fading out for real.

The purposeful ethnicity of the piece actually makes it sound more distinct from other Ice Cap Zone mixes, and it fits well with the song's overall "icy" sound and feel. I like the chimes especially, because they remind of, for whatever reason, icicles.

I also have to say that I did not catch the Power Rangers theme in there until I read the previous posts. Now I can't unhear it. Nice job with the subtle tribute though.

• 1 year later...

Well, damn, you sure nailed the Asian feeling in this ReMix. Out of the hundred and some Ice Cap ReMixes on the site, this is by far my favorite. The ethic sounding beginning was great and seemed like a perfect fit for the source tune, and then breaking out into a rocking electronic midsection with tons of sweet sounding beats (and a Power Rangers nod that I always seem to miss somehow) right before the fake-out ending. I really love how it hits that heavy majestic feeling in the real ending.

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...

The 52 second intro is really nice. Love the instrumentation, lots of flair and atmosphere. That synth solo is indeed kickass and the hat/clap complement it really well. The comeback sounded great, I just wish it didn't fade out so fast. Pretty cool mix.

• 4 months later...

This came on in the car as I was doing through OCR 1 through 3000, and I hadn't heard it before or known what it was, I just like to go into a ReMix blind. The first 35 seconds are so pleasing, atmospheric and cold. It sounded like it was going to be a remix of some game I'd never heard of that took place in an ancient Chinese snow mountain or something (who's to say it doesn't?) Then at 0:36 when the main lick of Ice Cap came on I was blown away BOOM instant nostalgia8). I wasn't expecting it because the bass line is different even though it's in the same key as the original. 

There's so much I want to talk about here. The busy but unobtrusive bass line starting at 1:28, the often mentioned synth solo (along with the fact that it doesn't drown out everything else), the unexpected ending/key change that gives this mix a unique identity, and the wind chimes/wind breeze that somehow make me feel cold...8O

Everything is so satisfying in this mix I just want to kick back and enjoy it, but at the same time I always want to listen and see if I can hear every instrument/effect. Big Giant Circles has a way of doing that.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01566 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Eastern Ice Field"