Galactic Warrior Girl (METROID)

http://www.gamesare.com/music/GalacticWarriorGirl.mp3

Okay, here is my Samus Aran- Galactic Warrior score. I kept overloading my computer and had to restart like 1,000,000,000 times making this, but I finally got it the way I wanted it to sound.

Basically, if I were to make a serious big budget Hollywood Metroid film, this is how I would do the score. Hopefully, if y'all think it is okay enough, I will try posting it (if not, it will have to remain here cuz I ain't going back and editing this resource eating monster anymorez!)

Anywho, thanks for listening :)

This is nowhere near as smooth as the other one. The voice in the intro feels fake, and so do many other instruments later on.

Anyway, this is clearly much more OCReMiX like, and has much higher chance of passing the judges panel than your previous mix did. And I'm saying this preferring it over this one.

I'm kinda missing the source tune though... it's in there pretty briefly, but the theme I was really looking forward to hearing isn't really here at all.

Anyway, best of luck to you. I think you should submit this and see what they have to say. Rarely does a mix made in just a few hours make it past the judges.

Yeah, that percussion that comes in about halfway is way too loud, it sounded like clipping distortion to me at first. :P Turn that down and you can probably raise the overall volume more - it seems a bit on the quiet side to me, even for orchestral. Granted I didn't check the waveform so maybe you've already pushed it as far as it can go without squashing dynamics.

This is pretty enjoyable to listen to...but it doesn't seem like you expand very much on the original. The chimes/strings break near the middle sounds new, but it's very sparse and more like embellishment/ornamentation filler than reinterpretation, imo. The rest of the piece is more faithful to the original with some further embellishments. It's good, but again, doesn't seem up to OCR's standards for reinterpretation. All I can suggest in that vein is to listen to the remixes posted this year, and compare them to the originals. You might also want to check out both of The Wingless's Super Metroid "Girl" remixes - they're highly interpretive, and they were posted a few years ago.

I'm not a judge and don't speak for them, but I suggest you don't submit just yet. I really don't think this would pass as it is, and it may get tied up in the judging process for months, during which time you probably won't work on it anymore while waiting for it to be judged.

That said, this is a great base for a song that is primed for you to expand on. I liked the female vocal as well, is that from one of the EastWest voice libraries? If you really can't go back and edit it anymore, that's a shame, because there's definitely potential here.

I have to ask though - do you have a really old-ass computer? What sample libraries are you using? You could fit everything into one or two instances of some sampler like Kontakt which uses minimal CPU and potentially minimal RAM with disk streaming, so it's weird that the project file is using all your resources. Do you have tons of effects on each mixer channel or something? I'm curious, maybe we can help you get it manageable so you can work on it some more. :D

I'm not a judge and don't speak for them, but I suggest you don't submit just yet.

Some good advice (even before I became a judge) is this. Even if you're really super sure (or other people tell you that THEY'RE really super sure) that your track is *ready*, it never hurts to hold off for a good week or so.

There's ALWAYS going to be something that's going to catch your attention later on that you'll wish you'd done differently.

Anyway, that being said, I'll try to give you a more thorough review on your WIP a little later, but I will say that this is most impressive if it's been constructed in just a few hours.

Great foundation you've got here. I think your track has tons of potential, even sounding as cool as it already does.

Also, expanding on more of what Leah was saying, I find in FL Studio, poorly assigned/managed reverb is what eats up my CPU the quickest. Don't know if it's the same in cubase or not, but never hurts to check.

This needs to be louder overall and EQed differently... the instrument balance just feels weird. Why is the harp so loud but the melodic strings are hard to hear? The voice used needs some more reverb, sounds very dry. In general some of the individual parts could be sequenced better. The high end percussion (shakers) is weird and a little jarring. Too sharp. Then it just drops out abruptly.

Arrangement is little off too. I'm having trouble hearing the Metroid elements at times.

Not a bad start though, keep working on it.

Some effects would really helpp to deepen the overall soundscape. Like zircon said, reverb and delay could be your best friends here. Also some of theinstruments do semm to "pump" over some of the others. Im not sure if thi is overall EQing or a compression issue, but this could use some more mastering b4 u submit.

After it was pointed out the percussion, I agree, you could maybe make the entire volume of the strings louder, or maybe turn the shakers down. Maybe have them continue farther in the song, just even more quiet? I dunno.

Possibly turn up the violin that comes in at 1:00 up too, cause compared to the harp, it seems quieter than it needs to be, too.

Past that, all of it seems really spot on! Great stuff!