Lord of the Rings Online

Uh, uh, is there another thread for this game now? I dunno.

Game's hilarious. I love it, maybe only because I was tired of WoW and the like.

I love playing the instruments in the game. I can't play anything for real, and I can't even read sheet music, but I can play Doom E1M1 on the lute, as well as Woodman from Megaman 2. lol.

So you purchased the game? Is everything still ridiculously slow and clumsy engine-wise in the live release?

Go raid Karazhan or something.

No, the combat's not as fast and frantic as WoW or anything, but the only thing terribly clumsy that I've noticed so far is the pet AI. It's rough around the edges; it's been live for less than two weeks.

Go raid Karazhan or something.

No, the combat's not as fast and frantic as WoW or anything, but the only thing terribly clumsy that I've noticed so far is the pet AI. It's rough around the edges; it's been live for less than two weeks.

That's a plain unwarranted quip. I am sick and tired of WoW. I never played the 60 endgame so I was completely unprepared for how horribly dull and unrewarding 70 turned out to be.

I'm not talking fast and frantic. I'm okay (great, even) with the combat style being slower paced and more tactical, but--hell, maybe it was just my rig, but I turned every option down and it was still just generally choppy. Movement was jumpy, the UI didn't feel responsive, and things just didn't run too smoothly. I was really turned off when playing my Dwarf Hunter there, and although the Hobbit Minstrel was interesting (interesting class, interesting albeit repetitive homeland), it wasn't worth the clumsiness.

Don't take the question as an attack on the game. It's an honest question. I'd like to give the game another shot but I'm not blowing $50 without reasonable reassurance. I might just have to wait and see a little further down the road.

LOL sorry. I did take it as something a WoW faithful would say.

In all honestly, you'll probably want to wait a month or two. It's a bit clunky yet, I just happen to love it because it feels a little more social than WoW ever was. It's not as social as, say, SWG was, but SWG was my first and favorite MMO and anything approaching the feel of that in its golden days is exciting to me.

That, and my cousin got me into a kinship full of LOTR fanatics. It's hilarious to feed off their excitement.

I imagine having a group of people you (at least indirectly) know to begin with would be good. I tried to get a friend to try out the beta with me but he gave up at level 4. "It's just a WoW clone"--and he stopped playing WoW 8 months ago. He didn't believe me when I said it got a little more interesting, probably because he really doesn't want to start playing MMOs again.

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure if there's another LotRO thread, couldn't find any.

So what do people think of the game now? I quit WoW 8 months ago and am itching to replace it with something that's more game than job, and LotRO looks like the best candidate atm. Is the roughness still there, are you still entertained after a couple months, etc.?

And if anyone's got a buddy key they're not using, I'd appreciate it. Have the trial client downloaded already, called Turbine but the CS rep said they're out of buddy keys for now. :(