OCR00708 - Chrono Trigger "Requiem for a Green Revolution"

Ginnsu

Chrono Trigger 'Requiem for a Green Revolution'

After a remixer posts so many mixes, one comes to expect a certain quality, style and sometimes even genre from that remixer. Scott Peeples is not one to let us down in the case of this mix. In fact I would have to say that the quality and style exceeds any expectations of mine. This is a very symphonic melody, almost bordering on new aged. A lot of interesting instruments and instrumentation can be heard here. Mixes like these excite me, their sheer emotional expression that you can feel pounding out if it is like adrenaline for my vanes. Wow, I sound wacked... I'm going to shut up before somebody shoots me. Magnificent remix, Scott Peeples.

I wouldn't say this is my FAVORITE EVER remix by Scott Peeples, but it's VERY VERY good all the same. What I like is how it takes one of the most well known themes of Chrono Trigger and gives it a darkly lush and what I would even consider slightly ominous arrangement. A lot of other versions of this theme have been uptempo, high-spirits and gung-ho, but this one is somber.. reflective.. pensive. I think it reflects the spirit of Chrono Trigger in a way a lot of remixes of it haven't to date. KUDOS!

Well...

I don't know what to say really. The quality of this mix is exceptional, beyond what I expect of "video game remixes" in general, since they're not usually made by "professionals" in the music business, but by aspiring musicians who just love video game music and want to share what they had in mind for a given piece. But a few mixers, such as Peeples, and McVaffe, to name the first two that come to mind, have always had this level of quality that you can always count on to sound like something you'd hear on the radio or in a club, and this song is no exception. Incredible quality, great choice of samples, except for that string sample near the beginning, as it's a bit flat on one of the lower notes, though generally only picky people like myself have the unfortune of noticing this kind of thing.

The only other beef I had was with the chord progression. Not that I mind a change in chord progression from time to time, but when I listen to music, (and this is just me, 'cause it's different for everyone), I hear the melody+chord progression as one. Like you can't have one without the other. For most people, I think, the melody is more important. And I noticed this when I would be in middle and high school and I could plunk out the melody (one note at a time) for any popular song on the radio and people would think it was amazing. Meanwhile I would think "Well, really, that's just the melody, and the chord progression that fills in the rest of the picture isn't there," but it was enough for most people. So I think the fact that you represented the melody accurately, is more than enough for most people to recognize the song and sing along with it. For me, with a different chord progression it makes me look up from whatever I'm doing and go "Ew. What was that?" Now this does open up a forum for all sorts of debates such as "was the change in progression intentional or not?" and "Are there good and bad changes one can make to an original in a remix?" and "Is there a Dog?" The answer to these questions and more will probably remain a mystery to us all for the rest of our pitiful and miserable lives, but we can almost all agree, that this mix, from beginning to end, was very enjoyable.

DC

Scott Peeples delivers yet again.. This is a deep, brooding melody with great sound quality and the kind of inexplicable coolness that all of Scott Peeples' songs seem to posess. Download now, add it to your playlist, and enjoy!

P.S. - Scott Peeples, don't stop remixing, whatever you do! =D

Im gonna make this short and to the point.

There are many remixes out there, many of which find there way to this site. (Not all by the way are good) Every time I have ran across one of scotts. I somehow am overwhelmed with joy. :lol: Pure genius is all I have to say

• 4 weeks later...

Scott Peebles throws in some beautifull trip-hop/ambient song with this mix, most of it sounds just perfect, the pads give the song an eery-feel, without ultimately making it a silent-hill-ish song. The song is lively, yet dead at the same time. It makes me believe that sometimes, people who do remixes should work in this buisness more often.

Scott Peebles deserves a lot for this song, and im hoping that songs like this get noticed all over the world so people can realise that remixers have a lot of talent.

Now if you'll excuse me, i have to loop this song.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Everytime I try to draw this song comes to mind. Its just that good...

Eerie really wouldnt be the word here since 'requiem' is in the title. To me its more of a mourning for the loss of better times. Like when it plays in the middle ages in the game :D very sad melody. Would make for a very cinematic quality death scene. I really like this song...ALOT.. lol.

Great work scott, you da bombs ^_-

:sleepdepriv: mmm... *shudder*..french vanilla...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

In most respects, good work on this. It's got a pleasant melody to listen to, interesting beat nicely concealed so as not to destroy the ears, then the guitar kicks in to follow through with the next section with a pleasant choir echoing through to add the next bit of happiness to it. A wonderful piece altogether.

The only bad thing I have to say is that the echo from the acoustic guitar that happens a second or two later kind of grates on my nerves while using headphones, but otherwise it is generally unheard (and these earphones are rather uncomfortable.

Now for a personal anecdote:

I've methodically gone through, downloading each and every remix on this site and stuffing it on my playlist. I set it to permanent shuffle, and as this song came on, I was duly confused. K-PAX's Grand Central had played just beforehand, and I wondered what it was doing playing twice. Quite the similar piece up until about 2:15 or so.

• 3 months later...

First off, let me say beforehand that everything I type is a matter of my personal preference, but there is SOME amount of universitality to anyone's taste, so... First the negative, since I like to end on a positive note. This song starts very slowly, in my opinion. The intro seems almost dragged out. I wouldn't just sit down and listen to this song unless I was trying to fall asleep. That's not to say it's boring- but it IS very peaceful. Also, I don't think the "real music" kicks in (or rather, slides in) until a little more than halfway through the song. Now for the positive. I'm definitely a Scott Peeples fan. :D "Facility (Hacker)", "PheartheMonkey" and "Gerudo Peeples" are all some of my favorites. I listen to them quite frequently, actually. This is not one of my favorite Peeples' remixes. This song is doubtlessly beautiful, however. It was done better than anything I could have done, for sure. This song is pretty good background music, as well. It's just a bit slow and uneventful for my taste, I suppose. At any rate, it's not his best work in my opinion, but Scott Peeples is still the shizzle.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Really beautiful, poignant track. Might bring tears to my eyes in the right frame of mind. I definitely love the source tunes, but this deep (not too deep though) rendition with softly flowing drums is really enjoyable to listen to. This is a piece that could be turned down low and left in the background or turned up loud and it would just flow over the night like a calming wave. The string intro is really nicely done.

I would have to say that this piece of music is very situational. There's certainly times where it just isn't appropriate mood music.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00708 - Chrono Trigger "Requiem for a Green Revolution"