Brian Transeau's Studio Broken Into

Beatdrop

BOOM HISS BOOM HISS

But no, seriously, that sucks. Losing property is one thing, but being robbed of your art and your time...that stuff can't be replaced, and a lot of the time it doesn't even do the thief any good.

The cash he could do with it would buy lots of meth, man.

Isn't this like the second or third time it's happened to him?

Can't say I care. The guy is filthy rich and can replace virtually anything. The stuff he couldn't, e.g. project files, should have been backed up. And you'd think after multiple robberies, you'd spend a little on better security or something.

Actually, Leah, a recent frivolous lawsuit over sampling someone initiated against BT has left him almost broke. He's not wealthy in the least. Additionally, I would imagine that his custom patches, custom tuned instruments, presets, and recordings are NOT replaceable. They are by definition unique.

Yet timbaland goes free?

Haha, law.

Who said Timbaland is going free, or that BT is guilty? You are confusing the issues here. The court case against Timbaland is going forward as far as I know (or at least, the original artist's lawyers are working on the papers). But he has Geffen behind him. He has unlimited resources. BT does not. BT will undoubtedly win the case, but in his own words, it took $10,000 worth of expert testimony to determine that one thing he was accused of "stealing" was a pattern from page 1 of a basic percussion textbook.

The problem here has nothing to do with guilt or innocence, but legal fees.

• 1 month later...

You guys do realize, that most film scores would be labeled "Techno", at least as far as techno applied to this particular artist is concerned. Anyway, yeah, I read it on his myspace. He's trying to get some sort of non profit organization going, or something like that, to protect artists in the event their own stuff gets jacked.