OCR00709 - Sonic Adventure 2 "Chao Marathon"

Ginnsu

Sonic Adventure 2 'Chao Marathon'

A great technoish yet melodic piece here. Personally, I'm almost thinking that the beat and the melody have no place being in the same place, no matter how well they are in time. But then again, it is very nicely put together. The drums are a tad loud, and almost overpower the melody at some points. I would have liked to have heard more of the song drumless, for sure. Regardless, a great mix LeeBro.

I want to like this song. I really do. It's very well done, but I have a problem. Everytime I listen to it, the melody doesn't sound right to me...

In this mix, the melody goes E, C, A, G, A, B, C, but in SA2, the melody goes, E, C, G, E, F, G, C, if I'm not mistaken...

Other than that, the mix is very well done, with a nice techno sound to it. Good stuff, but I'm afraid I can't listen to it because the melody just doesn't sound right...

I want to like this song. I really do. It's very well done, but I have a problem. Everytime I listen to it, the melody doesn't sound right to me...

In this mix, the melody goes E, C, A, G, A, B, C, but in SA2, the melody goes, E, C, G, E, F, G, C, if I'm not mistaken...

Other than that, the mix is very well done, with a nice techno sound to it. Good stuff, but I'm afraid I can't listen to it because the melody just doesn't sound right...

This mix is exactly what DarkeSword said.... This would have been a keeper if you had got the melody right....:(. I would like it if you fixed that and put the corrected one on the message board. I know that i would keep it if you corrected it. Nice job though. Besides that, everything went real nice and smooth...

7/10

• 2 weeks later...

This mix is exactly what DarkeSword said.... This would have been a keeper if you had got the melody right..... I would like it if you fixed that and put the corrected one on the message board. I know that i would keep it if you corrected it. Nice job though. Besides that, everything went real nice and smooth...

Hate to point this out, but a ReMix means you can take parts of the original song and make it sound remixxed or different. If you wanted to listen to the Chao marathon turn on your SA2 and listen to that. This song is brillant and has a great beat to it, if you wanted original beat perhaps you should just go out and buy the SA2 soundtrack? :lol:

Hate to point this out, but a ReMix means you can take parts of the original song and make it sound remixxed or different. If you wanted to listen to the Chao marathon turn on your SA2 and listen to that. This song is brillant and has a great beat to it, if you wanted original beat perhaps you should just go out and buy the SA2 soundtrack? :lol:

I do, in fact, own a copy of the soundtrack to SA2. The Doki Doki Banana Chips Remix is a very nice work; I recommend it. ^_^

If you read closely, I was talking about the melody, not the style. I commented that the remix itself is very well done. LeeBro is an extremely talented ReMixer. What I take issue with is that the melody is not correctly transcribed into the mix.

Remixing does mean that you can take original parts of the song and change them up, including the melody, but in my opinion, the melody should only be changed if the song is being arranged in a different style.

Super Mario Bros. 'Jazz Plumber Trio' by DJ Pretzel is a great example of when to change the melody, because it really captures the flavor of a jazz combo playing a slick little blues tune.

Sonic Adventure 2 'Chao Marathon' pretty much keeps the same feel as the original. A 4/4, straight-eighths, bouncy techno song. The changed melody doesn't add anything to the style of the mix; in my opinion, it detracts, because it just doesn't sound right.

I don't know if LeeBro did it intentionally or not; my guess is that maybe he was doing it by ear and made a mistake. Regardless, the mix is very well done, except for my own minor gripe about the melody. If you're not too familiar with the song, then download this mix and enjoy it, because its a great piece.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I can't comment on the comparison of the remix to the original, because I've never heard the original. I'm taking the perspective that this is the first time I've ever heard the song, in any form. Overall I think it sounded quite nice. Very light, lots of reverb, nice drums which don't try to distract you from everything else and happy little instruments dancing around the place. A little repetitive I suppose (probably due to the original material), and I think Bro knew this and kept the mix short which was a good move. A lot different to Leeb's other stuff, but it still fits in there. I wouldn't say it's his best mix musically, but it definitely has it's place, especially in the technical field.

-Jive

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm not disturbed by the melody change, but that's probably because i've never heard it. :P

Ok, let's get down to busincess. It seems like Leebro here has some sort of close connection to Chaos (plural of Chao), since this is his second remix of those small and cuddly creatures. I can't really say that I'm a big fan of this remix, although that LeeBro so far has amazed me with his other contributions.

But for this one, there wasn't anthing that caught my attention or interest, it was a soft and mellow christmas like arrangement, but it sounded like it just kept going with the same style through the whole thing. The problem in question is not because I don't like calm remixes, I have plenty of those, and it cannot be the synth either since I bells. It sounded somewhat boring when every sample was playing on the same volume level, nothig stood out in the front and showed what it got.

• 10 months later...

I'm not familiar with the original, so i'm not sure what to think about the changed melody. It sounds good, so no worries.

I think that the tone color of the song was too consistent for the melodic structure. It was somewhat repetative, so keeping the same instruments for all the sections makes it even more so. Mixing up what instruments used would have improved it immensely, but as is, its still a pretty fun mix.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh god, I hate this source tune! :cry: Unfortunately, this mix doesn't really do anything to rectify that. The arrangement is generic to the nth degree and pretty repetitive to boot. In addition, it feels like there's way too much reverb slapped on a couple of elements in the song and I agree with Darkesword that the melody switch up was unnecessary.

I find that I like this best when some extra instrments come in (I think I heard a marimba somewhere toward the end?) but that happens so infrequently that I tend to just get bored with what's there.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00709 - Sonic Adventure 2 "Chao Marathon"