WIP Donkey Kong 64 - The Frantic Factor

Don't you have a sequencer? This is all very live keyboardy. Kinda chaos. I don't mind the string instrument despite it being very obviously fake. It feels very gamelike. But you need to get things on tempo and on beat.

Made the song with FL studio 7. And I'm sure I mentioned that it was kinda off beat at some points, but it doesn't really matter right now... I'm still working on it.

Um, yeah...the offbeat stuff makes it really hard to listen to. This is a case of too much humanization, which is rare, but possibly more detrimental than the opposite. :P

So how did you manage to get the kick offbeat anyway? Did you record it in by hand? o.O

I recorded the song first and then went back to it and added the kick in, so it didn't match.

Anyway, I removed the kick:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/view.php?id=1073928⊂=78999 :grin:

I actually think you need some type of kick/bass drum, or at least some it helps to fill out the soundscape quite a bit. Just make sure you quantize it. Its very rare that a kick should be humanized.

In another direction, you could turn this into a nice dark ambient piece......but depending on your musical experience, you may or may not wanna go in that direction.

If it were me, I'd stop trying to humanize those soundfonts/samples. They sound incredibly fake and the way they're played make them sound faker. Try putting it into a sequencer rather than recording them by hand for now.

Other than that, we have the fact that the arrangement aspect is minimal or nonexistent. It sounds just like the original except w/ guitars and bad soundfonts/samples.

There's also the fact that it's extremely empty and offbeat. And some of those bass notes are out of key. Still got a ways to go dude, but don't give up!

Although this is not entirely mine. I forgot a few parts and I couldn't play a few parts, so I used sections from a midi file by Dave Phaneuf.

This is supposed to sound electronic, so don't say it sounds too humanized.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/view.php?id=1073928⊂=79952

original

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/V1.1DK64_Frantic_Factory.mid

whoah, this sounds totally different. Doesn't even sound like the same wip anymrore.

That clicky kick is kind of annoying. Still sounds really empty. Fill it up more. Put in some lower background parts or something.

Yeah, it sounds better because it has rythm now, but my biggest beef is the fact that there's nothing but melody and there's no arrangement whatsoever here. It's just the original in different keys.

• 2 weeks later...