Turntablism

Skrypnyk

*giggle*

This has to be one of the coolest things I've done. It's like Boards of Canada meets DJ Shadow meets ....me =) .

This originally started as a joke/test track. I wanted to do something like Kid Koala, but then I something happened and I changed my mind.

I'm curious though if you can detect which song I remixed, because it sorta sounds pretty distant from the original.

oh, and bonus points to the person who figures out what audio clip is scratch at 0:36ish .

Click me

Nice stuff dude, you've been gettin better and better.

The rythms are def sweet. When the melody comes in it feels like it has too much verb on it.

Lookin forward to hear more from this one.

Check. It's actually the release mixed with the delay that causes it to sounds like reverb. Turn it down a bit so it should sound cleaner.

Nice beats. The melody gets kinda lost in the mix near the end; try to bring it out more.

Not a whole lot to comment on here, good luck with it.

Check. Brought up the volume on it, should be more audible.

this is pretty cool except the scratching doesn't feel as cohesive as i think it could, and it stands out a bit too much...

i can't figure out what this is...i'm guessing mallow's sad song just because that's what the key sounds like?

I agree on some parts I go a little overboard with the scratching. I will probably re-do those section later on.

And you are right, it is mallow's sad song. Or suppose to be. I'll try and add more from the original to this.

Next update should be some time tomorrow, and thanks for all the comments :>

Oh man, this is awesome, I haven't heard much of your stuff, but it does seem like you're imptroving. IMO I don't think that the scratching should be toned down at all, the song wouldn't be the same without it.

I like the audio clip you put in at 0:37, it kinda reminds me of the "Get offa me!" voice clip in Sixtyten by Boards of Canada. It sounds vaguely familiar to me, I even put it through Adobe Audition and slowed it down and looped it for a few seconds and still had no luck in guessing what it was.

The bass and subtle strings at 0:55 are very nice as well, and I honestly don't think I have any real complaints with this one.

I'm looking forward to the next update!

A good intro, now put a real song behind it. You've got the melody there, but right now it's all background noise to me. Inspire me to listen closer, man. There's no... excitement isn't the right word... emotion in this mix, it feels bored.

It's ambient, it's suppose to be this way. Ambient really is a love/hate type of music.

A good intro, now put a real song behind it. You've got the melody there, but right now it's all background noise to me. Inspire me to listen closer, man. There's no... excitement isn't the right word... emotion in this mix, it feels bored.

It's ambient, it's suppose to be this way. Ambient really is a love/hate type of music.

Still, that's not a good enough excuse. Sure rap songs are repetitive and they might be missing something, but that doesn't mean that people can't change the genre and step it up a bit with something new

I know. But my point stands - ambient and background music is a different genre, but this song sounds like it wants to achieve more than that. You could use its genre as an excuse, but I don't think that quite works for this song.

I dunno, maybe it's my inexperience talking.

I know. But my point stands - ambient and background music is a different genre, but this song sounds like it wants to achieve more than that. You could use its genre as an excuse, but I don't think that quite works for this song.

I dunno, maybe it's my inexperience talking.

Nah dude u def got a point, I've made the exact same point about some of Skrypnyk's songs before. But he usually just keeps them the way they are. I could be wrong this time. That comment was just me "assuming" he was gonna keep it in the ambient style genre like he usually does with these type of mixes. I def like this song and have been listening to it.

Back on track, seriously dude when can we expect an update. :D

I had an idea, when u are about to introduce the melody you do some big scratches. If ur gonna have a more climatic part in this, right before the climax have the db levels of all the intruments linked to the peak of the scratch using the fruity send. Then the whole soundscape would flow right along with the scratch right before the climax. Just an idea though.

Pretty much what avaris said. I tend to keep my songs simple, perhaps a bit on the minimal side of things. Then just go nuts with the drums.

Because I like nuts on my drums.

Anyhoo, there is an update. Did what I said I would do earlier, and extended the song. I doubt very much that there will be a climax, and I think I for see a fade out in the end D=!! .

I'm not 100% sure where I'm going with this now. I want to add more scratching in this, and vocal samples, but right now I'm feeling really lazy (boooo).

Or maybe it's because the project file is really disorganized....*shrugs*

Thanks for all the comments thus far :)

duhhhhh, sweet. Guess the only thing u could do is reintroduce the melody, and have it been less sin/tri wav based?

Main melody def sounds much better.

More scratching and vocals would be sick.

Really doing some hard panning left and right with some of the different rythm breakdowns would really add a nice dimension. You might already be doin this I can't tell prob bc I'm listening to it on speakers.

this isn't ambient argh i hate people misusing that word :x

and as for people saying that this lacks energy i completely disagree with that but i enjoy minimalist music so i guess i have a pretty high bar when it comes to "boring" music

this update is pretty awesome the drums are sooo nice i wish i had the patience to do drums like this. keep it up.

Awesome stuff here, man. I agree with about:black.. Go crazy with the scratching and percussion. Some additional crazy pan work on the drums would do wonders. There's tons of cool licks and fills, but most of the time all the action takes place in the center channel. Definitely on the minimalist side.. I could really go either way on that. The drums take the cake for the most part, kind of leaving a little to be desired as it really doesn't build up too much. Yes it's awesome, but due to the minimalism, it gets a little dry and repetitive.

the intro doesn't really work for me, i think the synth you're using is a beat too bright and sytrus-y sounding. maybe try something a bit mellower? also because the sample is so lo-fi i was expecting almost expecting a madlib beat.

and i would maybe make the main melody relate more to the source because right now i can only really hear it in the key.

the scratching and the drums are blended really well now though, good stuff.

Holy shit!

The voice samples that you've added to this are so awesome. It seems like you've added some more scratching too.

My only complaint is that I don't really like how it ends, but I'm still very happy listening to this, and I've had it looped for like 10 minutes, as a matter of fact I'm listening to it right now.

Good stuff.

the intro doesn't really work for me, i think the synth you're using is a beat too bright and sytrus-y sounding. maybe try something a bit mellower? also because the sample is so lo-fi i was expecting almost expecting a madlib beat.

and i would maybe make the main melody relate more to the source because right now i can only really hear it in the key.

the scratching and the drums are blended really well now though, good stuff.

Intro? Are you talking about the clip or the e-piano/rhode thing I'm using?

The sample clip in the beginning is only there because something has to go there...it can't start with just the piano. Plus I wanted to show F4T4L if he heard that before. Chances are, if I find something better to put there, then I'll put it there.

As for the melody, I have done a little something something. It's just a matter of find a fitting synth, and bring it in properly....which is becoming a bit of an issume.

Holy shit!

The voice samples that you've added to this are so awesome. It seems like you've added some more scratching too.

My only complaint is that I don't really like how it ends, but I'm still very happy listening to this, and I've had it looped for like 10 minutes, as a matter of fact I'm listening to it right now.

Good stuff.

I've indeed added several voice samples to this, with more to come (as soon as I find, rip, scratch, record, slice, and insert the clips). Bonus points to those who can get the origin of these clips.

Ending will change, of course. This song can/will go on for at least another minute.

and I'm glad people like the drummage, and don't think I'm going just a tad overboard.

and for those who think I am, stfu!!!1

Intro? Are you talking about the clip or the e-piano/rhode thing I'm using?

The sample clip in the beginning is only there because something has to go there...it can't start with just the piano. Plus I wanted to show F4T4L if he heard that before. Chances are, if I find something better to put there, then I'll put it there.

uhh the clip is fine but the change from such a low quality clip to the e-piano thing is too immediate i think, so i was just suggesting that you use a different sound instead of the e-piano you're using.

but, but, it isn't sytrus =(

I do believe I gave it more of a high end boost with the e-piano. I could always bring that down so it's more mellow and mid-range.

I'm also trying so very very hard to avoid using reaktor, or kontakt, as they will kill my CPU, and right now it's running pretty high.

Haha yeah the cpu hit always slows me down big time when making tunes. Of course pretty much anything from steampipe2 in Reaktor5 would easily fit with this mix. You could always compose with Reaktor5 in a different flp file and then just rip a wav andi import?

I def agree with you on the high end. Of course just for a lil variation in the freq range maybe giving some of the different sound clips ur using a high end boost could fix the dilemma.