Metallica or Megadeth?

The combo package of Peace Sells, SFSGSW and Rust In Peace beats anything metallica did. The only two metallica albums I can listen to anymore are Puppets and Justice, but both of those are really wearing thin over the years.

I do like a lot of the songs on Load though, cause I don't view it as a metallica album. I see it as more of a side project and I enjoy the rock elements of it.

Metallica will try and sue anything that casts a shadow. I heard that they tried to sue some make up company that released a line of shiny metallic products called "Metallikka" or something. Lo and behold Lars and Hetfield go into a rage over it.

Personally I find most of their music dull and overrated. Don't even get me started on "Saint Anger." By default Megadeth win, never mind how good they are.

Yeah, it's pretty popular on the intarwebs to hate Metallica, and while they are totally assholes, I gotta go with them. Megadeth does really stomp faces, but once you get used to the drums, even St. Anger's a really good album in my opinion. A good friend of mine saw them during the Madly in Anger tour and got to hear most of that album with their regular drum set-up. Fucking lucky bastard.

I think St. Anger would have been enjoyable if the drums didn't sound like ass and they didn't cut out the solos (which I'm not sure of, but i've heard numerous times).

But, this is reality, and I just didn't dig it.

They never recorded solos.. Kirk was interviewed as saying they tried to go back and overdub solos into the songs, but they just didn't work with the way the songs were written.

As for the topic.. Metallica was one of the first bands I really got in to, so I would have to go with them. Megadeth definitely still rocks though.

They never recorded solos.. Kirk was interviewed as saying they tried to go back and overdub solos into the songs, but they just didn't work with the way the songs were written.

As for the topic.. Metallica was one of the first bands I really got in to, so I would have to go with them. Megadeth definitely still rocks though.

I honestly believe he just was not trying at all. He really could've taken his lead playing somewhere, but I guess he's stuck in a pentatonic wah ladden rut.

I've got a response especially for debates like this:

Megadeth was formed as a revenge project because Mustaine was always too drunk off his ass to perform with a level of sanity. At least, that's the Mew-abridged version. And for what started as a revenge project and turned into one of the best damn thrash metal bands ever, they're pretty damn good. Unlike Metallica, Megadeth's managed to maintain some semblance of something that vaguely sounds like thrash through their span. (Alliteration ahoy!) Metallica, back when they STILL did thrash, was pretty damn good. You just couldn't compete with their guitar skills. It was so raw, so powerful. Megadeth's always been more technical with their guitar skills, which is equally as cool. I've always liked Metallica's lyrical skills more, and it's the only thing they really have going for them right now (excluding St. Anger: the lyrics on that album sucked). I mean, Creeping Death, Fixxxer, Justice For All; I can go on. Frankly, I've never been very impressed with Megadeth's lyrics, but hey: Mustaine's a fucking genius with a guitar. Whereas Metallica's fate is really up in the air with me when it comes to their newest album, I'm eagerly anticipating Megadeth's United Abominations. Therefore, it's really a draw between the two, in my opinion.

That's why I enjoyed St. Anger

Yeah, I almost enjoyed it myself. I mean, there are some enjoyable songs on there, and it's a very different record - they were really hoping for originality. I think I would've really had respect for it if it wasn't under the name of "Metallica."

As far as the lyrical content, I loved it. If you listen to the words, you can tell that James was digging deep. Still, it wasn't what I was looking for.

What I really hated about St. Anger was how the media were just sucking Metallica's cock saying this is a return to the greatness of Master of Puppets and that this what it sounds like to be in a garage band. Bullshit. Master had some pretty damn good arrangements, memorable riffs and solos and great lyrics. St. Anger had watered down riffs which were no where near thrash and was made by a couple of over the hill guys who can't let go of the past even though they've obviously gone so far from it.

Oh yeah and it's just a plain shitty record. Period.

I'm not really all that big a fan of strait-up thrash metal (or most non-eclectic metal albums/bands for that matter...), but Megadeth seems to me, not so much lyrically but musically, to be the superior band.

What I really hated about St. Anger was how the media were just sucking Metallica's cock saying this is a return to the greatness of Master of Puppets and that this what it sounds like to be in a garage band. Bullshit. Master had some pretty damn good arrangements, memorable riffs and solos and great lyrics. St. Anger had watered down riffs which were no where near thrash and was made by a couple of over the hill guys who can't let go of the past even though they've obviously gone so far from it.

Oh yeah and it's just a plain shitty record. Period.

St. Anger is still to this day one of the only albums I have ever listened to where I literally couldn't enjoy any moment of it whatsoever. I've enjoyed some parts of boring, uninspired hard/metal-core and by-the-books "I love Satan" black metal songs before; however, no part of me could enjoy even a moment of "St. Anger."

I haven't listened to enough Megadeath to make a fair comparison, but I'm a pretty big Metallica fan.

Metallica's "S&M" album (live recording of Metallica and San Francisco Symphony Orchestra playing together) is one of my top 10 favorite albums.

I agree with most posts here regarding "St. Anger". I remember sampling it at a CD shop and being really disapointed. It was on sale for $10 and I still didn't pick it up.