Metallica or Megadeth?

I haven't listened to enough Megadeath to make a fair comparison, but I'm a pretty big Metallica fan.

Metallica's "S&M" album (live recording of Metallica and San Francisco Symphony Orchestra playing together) is one of my top 10 favorite albums.

I agree with most posts here regarding "St. Anger". I remember sampling it at a CD shop and being really disapointed. It was on sale for $10 and I still didn't pick it up.

What? That S&M album is horrible - the orchestra & Metallica both don't seem to be working together well at all.

I still haven't heard St. Anger to this day though...I've only found a few Metallica songs really enjoyable, so I always get this chilling feeling I'd probably not enjoy St. Anger one bit...is that sentiment reasonable?

I still haven't heard St. Anger to this day though...I've only found a few Metallica songs really enjoyable, so I always get this chilling feeling I'd probably not enjoy St. Anger one bit...is that sentiment reasonable?

Very, very reasonable. If you don't like much of Metallica's past efforts save for a couple of songs, I can't imagine you liking St. Anger.

Of course, I'm no expert on your personal musical tastes, so if you want to hear it and decide for yourself, and if spending money on it or getting sued by Lars and gang for downloading it doesn't sound like fun to you, you can preview all of the songs legally at http://www.mp3.com/albums/577734/summary.html

What? That S&M album is horrible - the orchestra & Metallica both don't seem to be working together well at all.

I wouldn't say the album is horrible. I like most of it, especially No Leaf Clover. But the covers of their classic songs just doesn't do them justice. The raw energy from the studio albums was missing, even with the throngs of fans singing along. And down tuning all the guitars a half step just made everything sound odd, even if it was done for practical reasons. Not bad, but certainly not up to par.

I haven't given Megadeth its fair share of my listening attention, so I won't comment. As for Metallica, my favorite albums are MoP, Justice, and the black album -- yes, it is completely different and isn't thrash, but is still loaded with quality tracks.

St. Anger is almost completely unlistenable. Some Kind of Monster has a kickass start and is decent overall, but drags on for way too long and the chorus sung by James ("we the people") is horrendous. Forget about the rest of the album.

I did my Metallica binge only 2 years ago, so I didn't have the privilege (or burden) of seeing the group fall from their former glory. I have no expectations for their next album. If it's great, awesome. If not, I don't give a shit, I still have their classics.

Holy shit the upcoming song from that Youtube link is fucking horrible. James still sounds like crap and Kirk's solo is completely devoid of melody or creativity. What the hell happened to the kickass solos from MoP and Justice? Where are the memorable melodies from the black album? This isn't even music anymore, it's 4 guys playing horribly loudly.

The combo of Gears of War and Washington is Next destroys anything Metallica has done since Load.

Agreed. Though, I did like a few songs from Load and Reload...maybe like 3.

Maybe if they stopped being dumbasses and play like OLD Metallica they'll actually sell records and be liked again. That, and get back Jason Newstead...but that's impossible.

I've got to agree with you. Although, to be honest, I'm not really into Metallica OR Megadeth. I've never heard Gears of War or Washington is Next but, in my case, ever since I found out what Europe has to offer, I've never wanted to listen to a Metallica song. Even Master of Puppets and stuff isn't all that interesting to me anymore. Without a doubt, the standards for everything are changing these days and metal is no exception.

Megadeath's Dave Mustane's Last Words

A born again Christian carrying a colorful career marked by conflicts with band mates, other bands, record companies, and a host of personal demons, reveals to Revolver the inspiration for Megadeth's new album United Abominations. He talks politics to Revolver revealing his discontent with the United Nations, "I got saved a few years ago, and I believe what the bible says, that the U.N.'s gonna fall. Mustane doesn't hold back with Revolver on what his motivation was to disband Megadeath, pursue his solo career and how he found himself enjoying the band's latest lineup, "If this is a new beginning for Megadeath, then so be it. If this is the end, so was it."

www.revolvermag.com