MEETUP: Video Games Live, Washington, DC (6/29-6/30)

big giant circles

I know it's over a month away and people are still purchasing tickets, but does anyone have an idea/suggestion about what (if anything) we should do before the show? I know I'd like to bring my laptop and ask all sorts of mixing questions, but if we'd only be going out to eat, that obviously wouldn't be advisable. I know we have time to figure it out, just want to keep it on people's minds.

Are you staying for the overnight? I would think that'd be the perfect time to ask mixing questions.

An even better question is though, how many people can Dave hold overnight, and how many cars will we have around?

Well I certainly won't be going home (to NJ) after the show lets out. I do have a friend's place I can (hopefully) crash at, and then I can be around to hang out the next day before I leave.

If I do have to take the train, I guess I should schedule the departure for around 6 pm the next day so I have enough time to ask questions and do other stuff.

I move that people should post here if they are driving, how many seats the car has, how many are taken, and from where they are coming...

I'm driving from Pennsylvania and am most likely driving a '95 Ford Contour SE, 4 seats. 2 of which will be taken, one by myself and one by my girlfriend. Will be coming from Central Pennsylvania, 30 minutes outside of State College and an hour outside of Harrisburg.

I move that people should post here if they are driving, how many seats the car has, how many are taken, and from where they are coming...

I'm driving from Pennsylvania and am most likely driving a '95 Ford Contour SE, 4 seats. 2 of which will be taken, one by myself and one by my girlfriend. Will be coming from Central Pennsylvania, 30 minutes outside of State College and an hour outside of Harrisburg.

Would Philadelphia be too out of the way for you? zircon and I could really use a ride!

BTW, as soon as I can manage to work up some particular details from Dave and Larry, I'll be making an officially "Itinerary Thread" so that folks won't have to rummage through 20ish pages of stuff. Actually, I may go ahead and do that here in a few minutes.

That way we can have a new thread open for discussion with suggestions and ideas etc for how we're going to spend our time outside of the concert.

Alrighty, I'm game.

Will be driving down from northern Delaware in a 5-seater, with seemingly only 1 seat filled at the moment.

Our good fellow D-Lux doesn't seem to be too eager to come if it means sitting apart from the rest of the group, nor to stay for the Saturday concert, although I'm not honestly too sure if I'm doing the latter anymore. :(

Alrighty, I'm game.

Will be driving down from northern Delaware in a 5-seater, with seemingly only 1 seat filled at the moment.

Our good fellow D-Lux doesn't seem to be too eager to come if it means sitting apart from the rest of the group, nor to stay for the Saturday concert, although I'm not honestly too sure if I'm doing the latter anymore. :(

Half the experience (for me) would be chillin out with you guys, and since it's too late to get the group (and cheaper) buy, I'll have to pass. Plus, I can only stay for the one night because of work, and since Chris seemed to be all up ons the second one as well, I figured I'd let him indulge a bit. Perhaps I'll catch everyone at the next event.

28 tickets x $37.44 = $1048.32

Gonna head to the Kennedy Center shortly to make the final purchase. Thanks to everyone who ponied up the dough. Make sure you have OCR T-shirts to sport at the concert. If you DON'T have a t-shirt, djpretzel has a nice stash at his house. Holler at me, and I can find out if he has the size & color you're looking for. I don't believe we have new hoodies yet though. In any case, shirts will be at the special $10 price, since there's no shipping costs and y'all are right here in the DC area to represent.

At this point, we'll be...

1) Definitely figuring out who's game for Saturday night's concert (We probably won't be able to buy at a discount, but let's try to group together out seating!)

2) Doing some informal planning about how we're gonna be hanging out on VGL weekend

3) Coordinating rides

4) Promoting these upcoming DC concerts

In any case, shirts will be at the special $10 price, since there's no shipping costs and y'all are right here in the DC area to represent.

Wow! I didn't know they'd be that cheap... I'll get at least one... Anybody know how the sizes run?

3) Coordinating rides

I already started that...

28 tickets x $37.44 = $1048.32

Gonna head to the Kennedy Center shortly to make the final purchase. Thanks to everyone who ponied up the dough. Make sure you have OCR T-shirts to sport at the concert. If you DON'T have a t-shirt, djpretzel has a nice stash at his house. Holler at me, and I can find out if he has the size & color you're looking for. I don't believe we have new hoodies yet though. In any case, shirts will be at the special $10 price, since there's no shipping costs and y'all are right here in the DC area to represent.

At this point, we'll be...

1) Definitely figuring out who's game for Saturday night's concert (We probably won't be able to buy at a discount, but let's try to group together out seating!)

2) Doing some informal planning about how we're gonna be hanging out on VGL weekend

3) Coordinating rides

4) Promoting these upcoming DC concerts

Wait...OCR shirts and not suits? Hmm...I was going to actually dress up.

And I have a potential unexpected hitch in my plans - I may be getting an internship, and that could potentially lead me to not being able to come. Hopefully nothing bad happens, but I'll probably see in the next two weeks.

So are we going to have a BBQ the day after? And a game of ultimate? I don't really know DC that well other than some of the typical tourist attractions, so anyone want to come up with suggestions?

Hell, I'd be up for ultimate! :-D

Right there on the mall! ...Or wherever.

Edit: And also, will there be the traditional console-gaming session at some point? What kind of a setup does DJP have?

Hell, I'd be up for ultimate! :-D

Right there on the mall! ...Or wherever.

Edit: And also, will there be the traditional console-gaming session at some point? What kind of a setup does DJP have?

Ultimate Frisbee is fun, especially when I haven't done it for a couple of years and remember how out of shape I am, but yet how exhilarated I feel at the same time.

As far as a setup is concerned, I'm sure most of us can bring our own consoles. I can bring my PS2 (it's all I have) as well as a set-top box in order to send the typical RCA outputs to a Windows Media Center computer (including my laptop).

Bahamut; me and my friend I'm bringing are totally down for some ultimate/tossing. The mall probably wouldn't be viable, though it would be awesome. Too crowded. Should I bring cones, guys? Also, as for dressing up, I'm very meh about that, but if so, I say we dress up AND wear OCR shirts. It'd be like tux t-shirts; they're formal, but at the same time, you came to party.

BGC; I don't have the interwebs up at my house, so I'm going to just PM you my digits, and you can give me a call whenever. I'd probably need to do that later, anyway, like for when we meet up.

BGC; I don't have the interwebs up at my house, so I'm going to just PM you my digits, and you can give me a call whenever. I'd probably need to do that later, anyway, like for when we meet up.

A compiled contact list would also be a good idea for initial meeting.

update - 6/12

MAP

FRIDAY - we are meeting at the Washington monument at NOON. Here is a map.

DCmeetupmapjpg.jpg

More details to follow soon.

==================================================================================

Alright, this is the thread where we hammer out details (the other thread has become kind of long, and it mostly deals with the details of the concert itself.)

Before you up and respond to this thread, take a second to look over the specific topics for discussion. There are some things we need to know. Specifically:

Where are you traveling from?

How will you be arriving? (car? plane? train?)

What are your (estimated) travel costs?

When will you be arriving?

Are you planning on attending BOTH concerts (Fri + Sat)?

How long are you staying?

These are all just things for us to all take into consideration when drawing up the actual itinerary. Now then, since the event is still a month away, there are naturally some details that are yet to be finalized. We'll let everyone know for sure as soon as we know.

Here is what we do know for sure.

-Dave has offered space at his house for a few people to stay. Due to spacial limitations, he cannot accommodate the entire group. At this point, those people will most likely be Pixie, Zircon, Wingless, Taucer, Escariot, and his g/f.

-There will more than likely have to be additional lodging arrangements made. This includes the possibility that some of you may have to look into getting a hotel room for a night or two. I encourage everyone who's planning on spending the night in (or near) DC to start working that out now, so no one's left sleeping in their car. If any of you have friends/relatives in or near there, now would be the time to call them.

-Friday during the day is a gray area. That's why we need to find out when people are arriving. Me personally, I'll more than likely be there all or most of the day Friday, and I'd be fine just bumming around DC and seeing the sights until the show (which is at 8pm, for those who still don't know). Are enough people going to be there that this could be a group activity?

-Saturday morning/afternoon, it has been proposed that we gather in a (currently undecided) location for food, games, etc. The current leading candidate is Burke Lake Park, where they have pavilions, frisbee golf, boat rentals, swimming, etc. How many people would be up for this? Also, it should be understood that if we do such an activity, we'll probably require that everyone who attends contribute some amount towards such. It won't be much, and the money will go toward things like parking and the cost of the food. (No one's trying to turn a profit or anything, rest assured).

So there you have it. Answer questions, and discuss. Go.