OCR00712 - Phantasy Star II "Mamabrain"

Ginnsu

Phantasy Star II 'Mamabrain'

An Interesting piece of music that Quinn Fox has put out here, no denying that. But, although the effects on the drums are very cool, I think they might be a tad over flanged. Another point is the volume "jumps" that I hear really throw me off. I do like the piano, and the way the atmosphere flows. The drum rhythm itself is actually really intense as well, which is a plus. Over all, a nice mix Quinn Fox.

I'm still trying to figure out where people are hearing piano, since I didn't use any semblance of the instrument in the entire remix...maybe people are thinking of those high pitched harps....

Anyway, thanks for listening, glad you liked it! :)

~Quinn

P.S. C'monn, ONE listener? Maybe I should do more Squaresoft/Sony remixes if I want ears.....

I enjoyed this mix, especially all of the pianos! It's like one big piano solo! Just kidding, but I did enjoy the mix. I agree that it was a bit odd when the volume suddenly changed for a bit, but it is not jarring enough to badmouth the song. It's just a bit of dynamic range. Regardless, I enjoyed the song and it's always great to hear Phantasy Star music. I hope the original Phantasy Star is the next game to get Konega's/Quinn's treatment.

I'm sure you've had more than one/two listeners. But only one review before mine? Yeah, Phantasy Star gets waaay overlooked. I mostly ReMix older Sega brand games myself and rarely do I see feedback. I listen to every ReMix posted regardless of if I've heard of the game or not. You never know what you could be missing!

I usually dont post much (or on this site, at all until now :D), but this ReMix compelled me to. I've never played Phantasy Star, but I like to make a habit of checking out a couple remixes of songs I'm not necessarily familiar with every now and again. I don't remix myself, nor do I even know how, so please excuse my uneducated opinion. i just know what I like. :wink:

At first, I was "ehh" about this one, so I went back to random websurfing. Lo' and behold, 30 minutes later I stopped and noticed that I was still listening to this song looping, and bobbing my head to the music. I just chucked one of my MP3 CDs, so I could make a new one with this tune included on it. I love it.

Two thumbs up from a layman, if that counts for anything. Oh, and the pianos rock. :wink:

Wow, its about time someone did a remix of that music, I remember booting up Genecyst just to hear that music and someone has finally made it sound much smoother! Now if someone can do a Mystery(Ps2) remix I could probably die happy :)

This is one of those remixes that grew on me quickly. I'm not a musician, so I won't try to put into words all that I enjoy about it. I'll just say that it evoked the spirit of the original game. I always found that music to be sad in a way, and this mix picks up on that.

And after listening to this for an evening I started work on a Mother Brain Kisekae doll. That's kind of embarassing - but I'm having fun, so I'll keep at it.

• 3 weeks later...

I mentioned earlier that I was working on a Mother Brain kisekae doll. Well, Here 'tis. It comes complete with The Death Place music (Mother Brain's theme) - but only in MIDI form. The "Mamabrain" Remix has spoiled me; the MIDI now seems so rinky-dinky. :lol:

Anyway, I doubt that people here are really interested in KiSS dolls; my point really is that this remix really stuck with me, got me thinking about the game again, and inspired me to do a work of my own. So, once again, Quinn, good work!

• 2 weeks later...

:D This makes me glad. :) The Phantasy Star series are terribly overlooked, there are TONS of powerful tunes to remix in there! As this one. Although there some large volume ramps in this remix, it is true to the original melody and keeps the sweepy FM sound feel while it adds powerful drums and bass.. this is just wonderful..

I want more PS remixes! :twisted:

• 2 months later...

Quinn, simply put, you are the man!

As usual, a totally awsome mix, and great song selection....

PLEASE do more! "Pressure" and "My Home" remixes would be so awsome...... along w/ any other song from any Phantasy Star game.

Anyway, keep up the good work! You have fans!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Im a long time lurker of this site, coming on infrequently and listening to stuff every once and a while but it was this remix (and 'burntmota' =djpretzel=) that first grabbed my attention. Since finding these two pieces i've downloaded and listend to alot of remixs on this site, and am overall very impressed. This particular song is one of my favorites from phantasy star 2, the battle with mother brain. This remix does it justice in every way i can think of, and my only complaint is that i have to turn the speakers way up just to hear it.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Another one from Fox is coming right up! It picks up the rhytm fast, nothing wrong on the drums of what I can hear. When the synths starts to play the remix relocates to space, since they give off a very alien feel if you could say. I didn't hear any pianos in it, more like an organ-like synth. The bells are my favorite part, they have that certain sound that makes me smile. Overall is this a groovy remix, and isn't really annoying in any way. Nice work Quinn.

• 1 year later...

Absolutely loved this one back when it first came out. It solidified Quinn as one I'd watch after I first heard Phantasy Star Online "Lobby Static." A really engaging, laid-back, beautiful mix, it really does a lot to take the original and make it more melodic and palatable to the ear. Definitely an overlooked gem if you want something chill.

• 1 year later...

Chill without being dull, this is a laid back track with a lot of great layers, and some really nice synth subtleties. The way the layers were added and each layer seemed to stack new frequencies up was pretty cool, and the mod and pitch bends of that backing pad were awesome, it has great serene feel.

This is definitely recommended, really nice stuff.

• 11 months later...

Right off the bat, I'm a huge fan of the brief organ section. Very few mixes make use of the gorgeous instrument! The synth choices are, like your previous mix, retro in nature, but boy do they work. This is another gentle, lush piece. Very chilled and relaxed! There are more layers in this piece than your first mix and it shows how much polish you added to this track. The drums are a little repetitive, but with the introduction of so many different layers and elements, it's not quite as noticeable! Excellent work!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00712 - Phantasy Star II "Mamabrain"