Forest Requiem

Dr. Rod

This is a WIP I've just recently started based on the Pokemon Tower theme from Pokemon R/B/Y (the area with all the ghosts for anyone who played the game). I wanted to keep this very mellow, serene, and ambient, giving the feel of a tranquil forest. Despite the title, this is more peaceful than it is sad......anyway I need some advice as to how to improve this, maybe some sounds that would be good to add, etc.

Heres the song: http://lightningrt.googlepages.com/ForestRequiem0.0.mp3

Any and all comments are definitely appreciated : )

First off, I really like the fact that your doing some bright ambient stuff here. Almost every mix Ive heard on here is techno/rock, with a few orchestral pieces, so thumbs up for trying something a bit more unique.

Now I get that u wanna go the serene route, but I think this may be too serene. You need more instruments to pick this up. The piece really doesn't catch my interest until about halfway through when you bring the strings in. Also the harp towards the end, during the slow-down, is way too loud, u need to EQ than down some. Your arrangement is very nice and soothing IMO, I think ur just having trouble walking the fine line between relaxing and boring at some points. Keep this up Doc!

Thanks, I was worried I would really get any comments on this because the style is so different from most of the stuff on here. Im still new to ambience too, so Im not sure exactly where to go with this. What kind of stuff would help to bring the interest factor up?

ugh. ambient is a blanket description that is thrown around all too often especially around here. seems like you have confused "ambient" with "minimalist orchestral" which i'd say is probably the sound you are going for. i think the atmosphere you are going for is similar to l'après-midi d'un faune by debussy and that's the kind of arrangement i'd work towards if it was me.

not a bad start.

This song is pure atmosphere greatness. I really enjoyed the atmosphere here!. although the instruments here aren't that good. You should look for new samples (there's edirol super quartet, garritan personal orchestra, EWQL symphonic blah blah... and so... and if those are too big, try to find some soundfonts). Apart from that, try working on a more complete orchestration, and this is nice to go.

Once again, congratulations about the atmosphere you've built here, it's awesome! :-D

Thanks for your comments, uve all given me a lot of ideas as to how to improve this mix.......I listened to l'après-midi d'un faune, and hb, ur right in that thats the kind of style Im leaning towards. I want to incorporate some ambient elements though (bird sounds, winds), I feel it helps to add to the feel of the song. And Prometheus, I definitely am lookin into some new samples. Right now Im stuck between this mix and another one Im working on (which should be posted in a few days), so Im not sure when I'll have an update ready, but you can bet I will : )