Chrono Trigger - Ocean Palace

Sole Signal

8O

Wow, has it really been three months?

Er, I really need to get to finishing this. I get a one-week break from my 55 hour work weeks before school starts up again; I'll see what I can do.

PS: Note the name change, too. No more Miszou. :razz:

Damn straight u better finish this. Dont leave this masterpeice unfinished like that dude who made an anwesome jazz mix for Frog's Theme but never completed it!! *cries!!*

Okay, I put some work into it this morning and afternoon and came up with this:

http://www.silverlinestudios.net/Mp3's/audix_oceanpalaceWIP.mp3

I realize it's a little crowded later on in the track and that the synth lead is a little piercing; I'll work on separating the sounds a bit better. Comments always welcome. :)

This rocks, may I ask what drum synthesizer do you use? The default drum generator for FL sucks...even after I downloaded all of its drum packs...

It's all about the processing you do to the drums. Let's see...the beat at :30 is constructed from parts of a free loop I found and several one shot samples layered for the snare and kick. 1:00 is an FPC groove with a number of amp, EQ, and compression effects added. 1:27 is again a constructed beat with a loop at the foundation and several one shots layered on top.

To sum up, gorgeous.

To be more specific:

Intro is lovely. Whatever the industrial sounding FX is that we first hear is nice. I wish you would extend it just a little bit more. It sounds really sexy.

The conversion from 3/4 (original) to 4/4 (yours) is done very well. It sounds wonderful.

The low end is very well developed in this track, so congrats on breaking that open! One suggestion, pull down the kick just a bit. When it gets going, it's really boomy. I feel like my sub is gonna break work my station from the rumble :).

The lead that comes in at :44 is beautiful. The backing chord stabs support the part well.

I was about to suggest that you add in a piano part an octave above where you're playing, but sure enough, it came in shortly after. The sample itself is wonderful. The delay is a very nice touch

Arrangement wise, I certainly hear the original amidst the 4/4 conversion. You've taken a farily simple source tune without much to it and have been able to expand on it.

The lead synth at 1:41 I'm not as crazy about. It doesn't pierce the soundscape as well as the first one did. Mainly because the attack on that synth is much more sluggish that the first one. I would suggest either strengthening the attack on it, or even better, double the synth with another one. Perhaps even the one you started with. That part is meant to be a bigger climax than the first time around (or that's how it sounds to me) so that might help make it bigger. Beware though, my suggestion just may cloud the soundscape, but it might work. Might be best to stay away from another sweeping lead and keep it to a more more basic/dry lead that will just help give it a little more punch.

And finally: ITZ 2 SHORT!!!!11!!1! Y IS IT ONRY 2 MINZ?!?!?! MAKE IT LONGR!!! ;)

Just kidding mate, but please do finish this bad boy, it sounds great so far!!

To sum up, gorgeous.

To be more specific:

Intro is lovely. Whatever the industrial sounding FX is that we first hear is nice. I wish you would extend it just a little bit more. It sounds really sexy.

The conversion from 3/4 (original) to 4/4 (yours) is done very well. It sounds wonderful.

The low end is very well developed in this track, so congrats on breaking that open! One suggestion, pull down the kick just a bit. When it gets going, it's really boomy. I feel like my sub is gonna break work my station from the rumble :).

The lead that comes in at :44 is beautiful. The backing chord stabs support the part well.

I was about to suggest that you add in a piano part an octave above where you're playing, but sure enough, it came in shortly after. The sample itself is wonderful. The delay is a very nice touch

Arrangement wise, I certainly hear the original amidst the 4/4 conversion. You've taken a farily simple source tune without much to it and have been able to expand on it.

The lead synth at 1:41 I'm not as crazy about. It doesn't pierce the soundscape as well as the first one did. Mainly because the attack on that synth is much more sluggish that the first one. I would suggest either strengthening the attack on it, or even better, double the synth with another one. Perhaps even the one you started with. That part is meant to be a bigger climax than the first time around (or that's how it sounds to me) so that might help make it bigger. Beware though, my suggestion just may cloud the soundscape, but it might work. Might be best to stay away from another sweeping lead and keep it to a more more basic/dry lead that will just help give it a little more punch.

And finally: ITZ 2 SHORT!!!!11!!1! Y IS IT ONRY 2 MINZ?!?!?! MAKE IT LONGR!!! ;)

Just kidding mate, but please do finish this bad boy, it sounds great so far!!

Thanks (as always) for the lengthly comments and inspiration. I made the comment in another one of my posts that my finished tracks tend to sound nothing like the WIPs, and this one will be no exception. Appreciate the thoughts. :-)

EDIT: fixd 1:41, better mastering, more epic, etc :P

Nice, another Chrono Trigger remix and it's of the ocean palace. Wee! Let's break it down:

I'm not very fond of the delayed crash cymbal at the beginning; it seems too abrupt, but I'm probably being too picky.

The intro is good, but maybe add some grit/crunch to the drums and do a few stutter edits, especially right before everything comes in full force at 0:30 to help let the listener gear up for what's next.

At 0:15 until the drums kick in, the strings really need to crescendo. The notes sound like a crescendo progression, but the velocities don't really change. Also, adjust the panning of the strings, such as violins panned left, cellos panned equally right and violas (if used) panned center-right. Fill the space up and let the strings shine before everything kicks in.

0:30 doesn't seem to climax like it should. Maybe because of the lack of dynamic change prior to this point.

At first I didn't like how the synth guitar only made a showing for eight measures when it first comes in, but am feeling better about it when it comes back later. When it comes back keep it in for sixteen measures, with the last eight measures rocking out a little harder. Now back to the first time the guitar plays. When you pitch bend out, try having everything else stop playing for about a measure and then bring in the parts. Try not bringing in the drums right off the bat, though. Again, let those strings shine and have some feeling.

1:27 is great, but maybe add some tremolo strings prior to it to help the transition. 1:27 has more of that uneasy feeling to it and I think the tremolo strings will help slide into it better. (The overall transition is on the sloppy side, in my opinion. I know you can do better. ;-))

Great staccato goodness going on at 1:57.

Looking forward to the finished product!