Super Paper Mario!

SwordBreaker

I got an advanced copy from Nintendo of America a week ago since I'm part of their Sage program. I was surprised to get a title as big as this, actually. They usually send out typical handheld titles. Thank God for Nintendo!

Anyway, I've gotten into playing it recently. Guys, if you've been avoiding the Paper Mario series because it's RPG-based, then this is the game for you! Also, despite the radical change from an RPG to a platformer/puzzler/'lite' RPG, Paper Mario fans will still dig this game. Dialogue's hilarious as usual. Lots of references and jabs at Nintendo and the hardcore internet community in general, you could say it seems like 'nerd-related' humor. I noticed a really funny Zelda II reference to "I AM ERROR".

Gameplay is so freakin' unique. I've never played a game like this before. Basically, it has a 2D platformer backbone. However, you get to switch to 3D point of view and man...you'll realize how smart the puzzles are once you see the 2D-to-3D switch in action. The RPG elements feel weird in a 2D platformer, but it works nonetheless. It almost feels like a real-time battle system integrated into a 2D perspective. Stomp on a Goomba, deal MASSIVE damage, gain EXP, status alignments, etc. Most of the stuff you know is there.

This game is so worth your money. Plus, it serves as a nice wait for Super Mario Galaxy.

I didn't get the game early, but I just finished it, and I have to say... wow. Just wow. The Paper Mario series has always been amazing, but this game sets a new standard.

The mesh of platforming and RPG is masterful, and it rarely if ever feels unevolving. The balance is great, the dynamic is great... everything just feels so fluid and natural. The 2D and 3D elements blend surprisingly nicely; the only caveat I had in this aspect was that the 3D level design, at least early on, was a bit lacking. Once in 3D, most times the player could simply walk / jump past all of the intended obstacles, as 3D rarely gave new ones in their place. Collision with enemies in 3D could have been a little looser, as well, as many times you would jump either just past or just short of an enemy because of Mario's altered (and admittedly very slow) movement speed, and would be a sitting duck.

Just as in previous PM games, the story is superb. I'll admit, I called the main (I think) plot twist pretty early on, but the story really didn't suffer from it; the writing was witty and funny, as always, and the ending is really quite worth it.

All in all, a wonderful game. If you haven't bought it already, do so now.

--Jack Kieser

I haven't played since yesterday, but 3-4 is the funniest thing I have seen in a game in forever.

Man...I just entered 3-4. I have a feeling that it'll make me laugh like a fish out of water. The whole chapter is so freggin' hilarious. Man...that showdown with Bowser. Classic, priceless, and REALLY funny!!! "I'm AAA final boss material!" LOL

Bought it first day. Funny story kind of.

I went to EB and I remembered that something new was supposed to come out, so I ask the guy "Whats supposed to be coming out for the wii soon" and he is like "Super paper mario" so I was just like "I'll take it!". Spur of the moment purchase XD.

Anyway, I loved it. Beat it in like 3 days (like 10 hours I think). Great game I must say. digibutter.nerrr!!

Chapter 3-4 boss is epic.

Rest of the game is pretty good too, except for chapters 4-1 through 4-3, which just annoyed the hell out of me. Chapter 4-4 made it worth it, though.

LOL @ 3-4's boss. I'll have to play that multiple times to see the various replies.

Yeah...that space chapter is also annoying the hell out of me...still at 4-1.

It starts getting quite difficult around the crag world.

I have some complaints!

[spoiler?]

-Often times, the game will make you waste a lot of time doing nothing fun or productive .. examples:

--In the Mansion working off enough debt to learn the codes

--In the Crag world, saying please a ton of times, and writing down that long sequence of what block to hit

--In the Asian-styled world, doing the 25 gates, then running across nothingness

--In the Underwhere, Being sent back every time you talk to a hag

[/spoiler?]

I find the dialog delightful, however. The amount of times the fourth wall is broken is awesome.

And video game soundtracks *ARE* High-technicaaaaaaaal!

It starts getting quite difficult around the crag world.

I have some complaints!

[spoiler?]

-Often times, the game will make you waste a lot of time doing nothing fun or productive .. examples:

--In the Mansion working off enough debt to learn the codes

--In the Crag world, saying please a ton of times, and writing down that long sequence of what block to hit

--In the Asian-styled world, doing the 25 gates, then running across nothingness

--In the Underwhere, Being sent back every time you talk to a hag

[/spoiler?]

I find the dialog delightful, however. The amount of times the fourth wall is broken is awesome.

And video game soundtracks *ARE* High-technicaaaaaaaal!

I'd say those parts are a little Earthbound-esque. Earthbound had all sorts of weird things like that, like waiting for 3 full minutes in front of a waterfall to open the secret path forward. It's likely a nod to the series.