SGX wip - dirty industrial trip-hippity-hop

sgx

http://www.sgxmusic.com/pwn.mp3

Spent about 4-5 hours on this tonight. Just a basic groove right now. Atmospheric stuff, plus HUGE beat and growl bass (I think I've been developing a somewhat signature bass synth style recently). Should I share my combinator bass secrets or be selfish with my patches? hmmmmmm

Beginning synth is String Theory. Drums and bass are 100% Reason. Wobbly synth at the end is Feldspar (I fuckin love this $18 synth!). Pads are Majken's Chimera. YuM!

I'm thinking this track will be track 1 on my next album. Intro is sexy and everyone remembers what the first few seconds of an album sounds like.

Nice phat beats dude. Maybe for a nice breakdown section you could take the hats/claps/clashes and do some serious time warping in Live. My only complaint about the song is in the intro(which is really good) is by :38 the plucked sound starts to become monotonous. If your in the right frame of mind to listen to the song it goes perfectly fine, but if your in another frame of mind it becomes monotonous IMO.

Feldspar is a friggin awesome synth. I like it's sounds for mellow leads, it beats anything from NI in that department. Also the fx plugin has the really nice trance gate feature you can throw over any sound.

Besides all that jazz this is def sweet, and will be even better once you add in all of your usual ear candy.

pretty much ambiental stuff with heavy drums... the kind of drums i love. The idea is developed very nicely, however, I think some sections of the song are way too long (the intro), and the mix lacks of variation. I don't mean "Hey dude, fuck it up and change it upside down each 10 seconds".. no, no way, I don't want to spoil the awesome feeling here :-D . But you should add noises and stuff at random places,.. dunno,, for example an opera-female-singer (what was the name for that , soprano?),... some metal noises...an indian flute (LOL)... whatever. Check this out, it will be good reference for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMq4akUZr8c

(Rob Dougan :-D)

For realz. Glad you guys are digging it.

Rob Dougan is cool and that's a classic track. I think I'm going to try to keep the orchestral sounds out of this one for the most part. A lot of my songs bust into orch-mode so I'm going to try to diversify my sounds a bit. You never know though. I find the orchestral stuff hard to resist :). If you remember my last WIP on here (beast.mp3), that was all synths and baddassery, but the final track (not for download yet) gets all epic orchestral. Couldn't help it!

Gripes about structure and all that will be addressed of course. This is just one night's work. I usually just start getting together loops/patterns/ideas and worry about structure later. This is just drums+bass+guitary synth+pads. If you know my music, I add quite a bit more than that once I'm done :). Current arrangement is just something I pooped together to make the mp3 demo.