OCR00714 - MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries & MechWarrior 2 "Wawoow! Training Exercises"

Ginnsu

MechWarrior 2 'Wawoow! Training Exercises'

Just excellent. A small spooky tinge, very nice strings ('cept for the heavy distortion in that one part, but it's safe to assume that was intentional and in that case, nice effect) and a kick ass guitar. As far as I'm concerned, this mix is going to be my favorite new pick for probably a month unless of course McVaffe or djpretzel come out with something new and kick ass. Excellent work lasombra, and since this piece comes so close to my birthday (July 21st), I'll consider it a gift.

This whole piece has a "closing credits of a space action flick" feel to it. The voice samples do bring me back to the hours I spent making those Inner Sphere afterbirths eat hot LRM 20's from the next ridge over.

Very very professional. When the bass line kicks in at 1:52, I'm just nodding my head and driving my Mech again, because my I'm gonna kill for the honor of the Clans, baby. The voice samples/radio noises are extremely effective at drawing you in.

I really do like the "transmission breaking up/overdrive rock" around the 2:30 mark. That's a nice, nice touch, and it continues all the way to the end. You know a mix from the Clock is gold when it makes you want to play the game in question right the hell now.

A bunch of the stuff in the package, and it never gets away from him, because of the orchestral lead tying the thing together like a pretty ribbon. Well, actually a pretty grimy, 200 yard long ribbon tied around my Timber Wolf PPC variant. Have A Nice Day.

Now I want to go blow something up. Excellent work. "Now you wouldn't even think of upsetting me in my home, would you."

8.5/10.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

There are some great ideas in this mix, most notably the middle but the flow is really choppy, making it sound like two different songs, complete with actual breaks inbetween songs. I have to say I much prefered the second half with the rock and filtered strings over the voice samples in the first half.

interesting, but not my cuppa.

• 11 months later...

Wow, great style. Not much flow to speak of, but some very cool individual sections. The programming on that bass at 1:30 is insane, it sounds like it's leaving trails across the soundfield, burrowing into your ear. Cool drums, cool guitar, and all the static effects generate a lot of tension. It sounds like the full audio to some sci-fi action movie, not just the soundtrack.

• 8 months later...

Very atmospheric, which works well with the piece. Panning at 1:30 is very cool sounding. Around 2:30 sounds like you're about to fight some sort of boss, then cue rock.

At 3:00 everything sounds like it's faded in the background a bit too much for the strings to reenter. It's very sudden, I'm not crazy about it.

Overall, lots of good things going for it, but I couldn't keep focused. Worth a listen, and some nice work, just not a fan.

• 3 months later...

The guitar section could have used some leads, perhaps some chord changes too. It went a bit too static there. The whole piece is structured like a story, but when the action part starts you sort of have to imagine the action happening, instead of it happening in the music. Otherwise a fairly cool and good-sounding track. MW2: Mercs rocks!! :)

--Eino

• 1 month later...

wow. when listening to the voice clips at the beginning, thought the guy said "now you wouldn't think about setting me up the bomb, would you?" Pretty sure that's not what he said, but if it was then an internets to you, sir.

The string synths were pretty good throughout, and I liked how you used the bass to interrupt them and go on to the next segment. good mix, sir.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

It's quite an atmospheric source to go for, so I kind of expected something calm to go for here. What I wasn't expecting though was over a minute's worth of intro before going into any form of music, and even then it had its quirky moments with still being intersped with sound effects during the setting.

I admit the guitar entrance at 2:40 was pretty cool in concept - gives in a more determined edge towards the writing, though it seems as if the automation is all over the place in regards to the instrument presence (noted mostly when the strings came in).

All in all, it sounds like a cool concept, but has weak execution even when measured up to other mixes of its time. Still not too bad though considering the ideas thrown in :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00714 - MechWarrior 2 "Wawoow! Training Exercises"
  • 5 months later...

I don't think I've ever seen anyone break down the source usage, so I'll leave a note here. Anyone who picks out more than this should add their insight:

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries "Dawn Watch" - 1:08-2:12 (sounded like direct usage of the original audio)
MechWarrior 2 "Silent Thunder / Rust Heart" - 1:51-2:35, 3:02-3:24, 3:30-3:53, 3:58-4:07
MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries "Dragon's Teeth" - 2:36-3:51.5

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00714 - MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries & MechWarrior 2 "Wawoow! Training Exercises"
  • 1 year later...