Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

Evilhead

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/13/super-street-fighter-ii-turbo-hd-remix-for-xbla-announced/

What a mouthful of a title! But it seems that Capcom is releasing a completely redrawn HD version of SSF2T for XBL and PSN! Hopefully this will pave the way for a few other redrawn classics, but as it is this will be pretty awesome. Check out how it will look here:

http://www.gamekult.com/images/ME0000818216/

I'm sorry, but I just can't get excited about this. I've played SSF2T to the point of being damn near tired of it. Couple that with the fact that this 13 year old game has been ported over and over again, and it's feeling a lot like rehash city. Sure, it's a neat idea, and God knows it's about time Capcom gave it a whirl... but why not do it to something that hasn't already been re-re-re-re-re-re-re-released? Better still, why not put all that effort into something new... like Darkstalkers 4?

Cool. So how many SFII games are there now?

I think its 10

Off the top of my head...

Street Fighter II

Street Fighter II: Champion Edition

Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting

Super Street Fighter II

Super Street Fighter II Turbo

Super Street Fighter II X for Matching Service

Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

And that doesn't even get into all the ports of a number of these entries.

I'm sorry, but I just can't get excited about this. I've played SSF2T to the point of being damn near tired of it. Couple that with the fact that this 13 year old game has been ported over and over again, and it's feeling a lot like rehash city. Sure, it's a neat idea, and God knows it's about time Capcom gave it a whirl... but why not do it to something that hasn't already been re-re-re-re-re-re-re-released? Better still, why not put all that effort into something new... like Darkstalkers 4?

I'd be happy if they just updated the graphics for DS. I mean seriously that Morgan sprite has NEVER been re-done. She looks so fucking out of place in every fricken game...

Also: it's my estimation that Capcom won't do anything new without sticking Ryu and Ken in there. Look at Street Fighter III. Totally original characters, totally original music, artwork, desperately needed new mechanics, and plotline but...shit, we can't start a new franchise! Hell just stick some SF2 characters in there, and call it SF3. Gold!

I'd be happy if they just updated the graphics for DS. I mean seriously that Morgan sprite has NEVER been re-done. She looks so fucking out of place in every fricken game...

Also: it's my estimation that Capcom won't do anything new without sticking Ryu and Ken in there. Look at Street Fighter III. Totally original characters, totally original music, artwork, desperately needed new mechanics, and plotline but...shit, we can't start a new franchise! Hell just stick some SF2 characters in there, and call it SF3. Gold!

Well, that's overlooking all the Darkstalkers games, the fantastic Rival Schools/Project Justice series, Tech Romancer, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Red Earth, Cyberbots, the Power Stone series, Star Gladiator, Plasma Sword, the X-Men and Marvel fighters... There are plenty of non-SF Capcom fighters out there.

Also, wow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Street_Fighter_games

When's friggin' Morrigan gonna get a redraw? :(

Yeah, I thought they would redo her in CvS2, but apparently not. Her sprites are so out of place in that game especially.

As for new sprites? I thought that the Udon team was responsible for doing new art for the SS2T port to XBLA. That's going to be interesting. Though I do like Udon's art style, I don't know how well it will translate into game animations. I hope this will renew the SF competition though. Fighting games, though old, never really die unless people stop playing them.

I dont want a street fighter 4. All they can do is mess it up. And it will never live up to the expectations that people have for it.

There just isn't the fanbase for it. People complained about all the rehashes so Capcom up and made the best 2D fighter ever (SF3:TS), complete with an almost entirely new cast, great fighting system, some of the best 2D graphics ever, etc, and it... pretty much got ignored by most people. Then you have the nerve to ask for SF4!! Go rank in a SF3 tourny before you start complaining... A lot of people still play the game.

There just isn't the fanbase for it. People complained about all the rehashes so Capcom up and made the best 2D fighter ever (SF3:TS), complete with an almost entirely new cast, great fighting system, some of the best 2D graphics ever, etc, and it... pretty much got ignored by most people. Then you have the nerve to ask for SF4!! Go rank in a SF3 tourny before you start complaining... A lot of people still play the game.

I love 3rd Strike because it proves that the series could progress after II and Alpha. Plus it's a really fucking awesome game.

I want to see Capcom try more things. Bring back more II/Alpha characters, introduce new characters. Age some characters, progress the story. There's always somewhere to go with Street Fighter.

I'm kinda excited for this just because now I won't have to play the really terrible Hyper Fighting port on XBL, and now Bison will actually be good in some online version

But yeah, Capcom just needs to make Project Justice 2, and then I'll be happy

A new Rival Schools game would be awesome as a 3D cel-shaded fighter. That series always had some awesome presentation.