OCR00716 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Lost Woods South Central"

orkybash

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Lost Woods South Central'

Very smooth and well-produced submission. Sample quality's good, arrangement's a tad repetitive but otherwise well done, and the drum work really shines. My only real complaint is that I'm not sure the choirs that come in around 2:00 really work well on their own - they seemed a tad out of place to me. Once they get combined with the background strings they work well, though. Well worth a download, IMHO.

Thats a nice Reason Dr.Rex loop, isnt it.

The song sounds ok, but its really carried by that one drumloop. Its really more respectable for one to make their own beats, but thats just my opinion. Taken as a whole, the song is relaxing and brings me back to memories of my endless wandering through the LostWoods lookin for that damned sword...

-Pro

Rhythm was cool but the zelda song sounded out of place. Maybe it the zelda theme was taken down and octive or changed the key, or the instrument used entirely to something with more low end or more midrange but otherwise I thought this was pretty good.

Gotta go with orky on this one, choir needs to come in MUCH earlier or not at all, but at 2:14 when the strings come in along with the choir, it works very well.

Overall this track is silky, and the drum loop works well with both the lead trumpet and the elec piano/bass, the lead in "Lost Woods" has driven me NUTS for almost 10 years, and this frankly is the best reconciliation of it I've heard in a long time. Nice perspective work, stays in theme, low-key all the way across. It's a little overly loopy and doesn't click until the last :30 with the choir, but I'll tell ya what, skillz are possessed. They may not be mad level yet, but they are there.

For a first submission, this ain't bad atall. The Weeble wants more.

7.5/10

i really like the idea... and the overall sound is great

there are just some things....

- i think the drum panning would be better in the center, especially when it's so important in this track

- bass could be turned up. dope beatz have dope bass lines to go with them.. otherwise it just ain't dope

- i feel like there's too many snare hits... it takes away from the track's "bump" and "groove" factor

... anyways... good job on this remix. it's always good to see some hip hop stuffs

In all honesty, I didn't really enjoy this ReMix. Personally, I thought it was too repetitive, and didn't capture the Lost Woods theme entirely well.

On the plus side, however, the mix sounded great, and it was well-constructed. I just felt as if it was missing... something.

I thought this was an excellent remix. Simple and well organized. I like your use of instruments (e.g. the horn/trumpet thingy), as it kept the original feel, but jazzed it up. Most of all, I liked the main "SouthCentral" melody you used; it was tizight! If anyone says it's repetative, it's not your fault as the original song (one verse) is only about 20 sec. long anyway. Nice work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

8O I don't know what some of u people are thinking. 8O This song is a great ass one. Hands down to the creator with thought of makin a nice hip hop feel out of this song. I've heard many other hip hopish songs that people have tried to do on this site and hasn't cut it. This one........hands down i wanna hear more!!!!!

GOOD STUFF MAN!!!!! :D:D:D

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Dude, the trumpet just rocks. The song is great, but that first time the trumpet kicks in after the pause.... total nostalgia.

Lovin' it. Thx!

totally agree. that pause, and then the trumpet. COOL!! I love this song, really. it perfectly embodies the lost woods spirit and adds some triphoppy percusions to the mix!! the vinyl static is cool touch too, overall, heavy laid back stuff in here. I even like the choirs. like a good lock to all the song. awesome.

Cano

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

As of lately this has been my favorite song for quite some time. I know the first few posts were years ago but I don't know what some of those people are thinking...

Anyhow, I downloaded this song a while ago. When I first listened to it, it didn't appeal to me much even though I am very familiar with the lost woods melody in Zelda; I don't know why but a month later when I played thru the entire song I have just been lovin it. Being that I am a 7year trumpet player, the trumpet melody is very aspiring. The drums is very hip and makes you wanna bop your head sometimes. I do bump this song from time to time in my car while I'm cruising. Great work, would love to hear more if you're still around Ben.

and to the person who compared this song with city skyscrapers, that's a really good analogy.

• 5 months later...

So as soon as this song started, I was like "Man, I hope the rest of this song lives up to its intro...". One thing I've found about listening to songs of this ilk (not the OCR kind, but the actual original-music genre of...hip-hop I guess. There're just too many divisions of Hiphop and...ugh. Anyways.) Is that they quite often will have a backbeat that's a really good one, but will end up fouling it up by doing something that sounds totally opposite the sound of the music. This mix is seriously sweet. There's enough consistancy and enough variation in the drums making it a song I could listen to even without the melody. But then, I'm a percussive kind of guy. All in all, a REALLY well put together mix, and something I wouldn't be surprised to hear sampled in a single at some point in time. This shizzle is izzle mah nizzle. Now on loop 14, and still lovin' it. Good times.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This remix goes perfectly with hyrulecastledarkworld. They seem to have a similar sound, and both are very good. Both are some of the very first I listened to, and they're still a couple of the best in my opinion. Download these now, and you won't regret it.

• 3 weeks later...

Love this one (yeah, this one to.)

Nice lil' arrangement wich gives a real dub-hiphop-street-ish sound mixed with the loveable theme from Link to the past.

And man, the drums get me going!

I sat in like an hour trying to play the whole loop at my drumset at home (It was hard but I could do the most things except the cool-ish hi-hat-abusing)

Anyways, I love the drums and it really gives a wonderful character to the song and gives you something to relate to even though the mix get a little bit to repetitive.

Still, good mix!

keep it up Ben

• 3 months later...

Hi! I'm pretty new here.. ( well. new being registred) and listening to some mixes I stopped on this one.. Great! I like the original one.. and I was pretty curious about this mix.. Maybe i'm not a pro, and cannot say.. about the drums, the bass... and stuff. (well.. the trumpets. sweet!) but I really like the style! good work Ben!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00716 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Lost Woods South Central"