Virginia Tech Shooting

!Nekko!

Some jerkoff was filming the area of the shooting with his cell phone camera while shots were going off (as you've probably seen if you were watching the news). He was just standing there. Gunfire going off. (I don't think he even called for any help... just stood there FILMING until police tackled him)

But wait, upon interviewing the guy, it turns out he grew up in Palestine.

Now it all makes sense.

Just saw the story on the news. Friggin terrible.

Wow, really, already? I didn't realize this news would continue to grow past the national level, but that's just my naivety. This is the age of information. And this is a massive event.

Why do I have to automatically care any time something bad happens? To do so would be, at best, dishonest. As they are not family, friends, or known to me, to pretend to care is no better than lying.

Nobody has any right to ask you to care. For those of us who do care, we care because of an innate sense of connection to the rest of humanity (compounded by the fact that most of us can relate closely to the circumstances of the VT students - or even have friends among them) - if it honestly makes no difference to you, nobody can judge you for it.

Some jerkoff was filming the area of the shooting with his cell phone camera while shots were going off (as you've probably seen if you were watching the news). He was just standing there. Gunfire going off. (I don't think he even called for any help... just stood there FILMING until police tackled him)

But wait, upon interviewing the guy, it turns out he grew up in Palestine.

Now it all makes sense.

Growing up in Palestine has nothing to do with doing something stupid. I know plenty of Americans who'd do something that stupid too.

Y'know, I was actually up early today for obviously unrelated reasons. So, I was bored for a bit while waiting for someone, and I flipped to CNN. [this was around 9 CST]

BREAKING NEWS, SHOOTING ETC.

Oh, only one dead though. Not bad.

Look at it a few minutes later.

Oh, one dead and one wounded. 'Kay. Still pretty good for a shooting rampage type deal.

So I go about my business for the day.

Around 4 CST or so, I happen to flip to CNN again.

33 dead, gunman suicide at second shooting location.

Oh. Well..shit.

So it DID turn out to be really shitty.

Lame.

Y'know, I was actually up early today for obviously unrelated reasons. So, I was bored for a bit while waiting for someone, and I flipped to CNN. [this was around 9 CST]

Oh, one dead and one wounded. 'Kay. Still pretty good for a shooting rampage type deal.

Oh. Well..shit.

Lame.

Exact same thing here. I get up at 5:30 PST, turned on the news, saw the news on the shooting, went to PT, came back a 7 AM, and very quickly things spiraled out of control.

I'm still amazed that guy jsut stood there with his camara phone recording. What the hell was he filming before the gunshots went of?

In a related not, I didn't find out about it until 12, when they said there were thirty dead and they had no idea where the killer was, though they seemed to know he'd killed himself. My first thought was "I jsut know someone, somewhere in the media, is going to tie this to either videogames, or Columbine." Sure enough, Charles Gibbons was less than two minutes into the ABC special report when he brought up Columbine.

so damn sad. Can't even imagine what I'd do if something like that happened around where I live...

Edit: Does it strike anyone else as particularly retarded that Fox news interviewed Jack Thompson of all people about this? I mean, it's bad enough people lost their lives to this guy, but do we really need an extra dash of over the top sensationalistic media to make it worse? Personally, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

This is a tragedy in every sense of the word, and my thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by this terrible loss of life. The pain of a broken heart can be immense and therefore extremely influential in one’s decision-making process. Indeed, one’s very sanity may be at risk for an unstable individual, as we have unfortunately seen.

However, as great a power as that lust for vengeance may be – that force which motivates one to ‘destroy that which has destroyed me’ – can never justify the taking of another human soul. Thirty-two souls is simply appalling. I am convinced that it is in controlling this aspect of our humanity, and the degree to which We as humans are willing to choose peace over violence — life over death – which will determine the course of world events (think Iran, Iraq, North Korea) and indeed humanity itself. The ultimate Goal I suppose might resemble something akin to what we see in the Star Trek franchise – free of disease, hunger, and (until 1994 due to sagging DS9 ratings) widespread warfare.

*Ahem* When you consider the fact that this was clearly a premeditated act, with VT admin actively making the decision not to cancel classes after the loss of life…well, as I said, it’s a tragedy.

Having said that, consider the following:

With this and the Imus deal, I believe we're about to see a new age of censorship.

Fuck.

Oh my god... FOX is interviewing Jack Thompson about this! Of all people, HIM! And of course, he immediately spotlights "violent media." Is it right for me to start getting highly insulted by this and want to throttle the guy? I'm not saying that it shouldn't be taken into account, but damnit! Immediately jumping to conclusions about this tragedy is just wrong!

This is exactly the type of fuel the mass media loves to utilize in an attempt to spin the story in a particular light (take it from a reporter who’s spent too many hours reading through crappy leads). The goal at the “top” (CNN, NBC, NY Times, etc.) is often to present the story in such a way that says, “Ok, this is good, and this is bad.” It really is that simple. They feign neutrality while subtly attempting to influence thought patterns. FOX News’ “Fair and Balanced” and “We Report. You Decide.” Ha. Not in this lifetime.

Exhibit A:

I found the dumb questions the CNN reporter asked to the girl much more annoying. She basically kept asking till the girl started crying and then the reporter was like "I can hear this is hard on you..."

T__T No shit, Einstein!

[quote name=''[\(-_-)/];259632']...I hate modern news media. They do EVERYTHING for the ratings.

CNN did the same thing. They could have interviewed a cop at the scene or something' date=' but intead they choose to interview a obviously traumitized girl. She was obviously not ready to be interviewed. And for what reason? People like to see that. They like to say "Look at that poor girl and how she is crying too bad for her.[/quote']

The effect is often very subtle but very real. But why bother? Why not “just the facts, ma’m” as that dude on Dragnet always said? Obviously there’s a goal to influencing thought, and censorship is the first step in really skirting individual liberty. But it’s only the first step. The world stage is already set for some pretty crazy shit to go down, and increased censorship facilitates it all. This could be an event which fundamentally alters the way we perceive freedom in this country – much like 9/11 did for our “perception” of Arab terrorists and the resulting wars (See: Loose Change, 9.11 Mysteries).

this just gets worse and worse as the day goes by and it's sinking it. and then 5 more U.S. troops died in Iraq today. i'm so sick of this kind of stuff. once again, God bless the families of the victims.

However, this sort of change can only occur if the media “embraces” this tragedy, and apparently, they are. Think London in V for Vendetta. I believe one of the three targets was a school, correct? Fear = Control. Once they've got you living in a culture of fear they've got you by the balls. (Thanks, Jack Thompson!) I’ve got a lot of theories floating around in my sick mind but I hope we’re not witnessing the end of freedom thanks to our pals Cheney, Wolfowitz, and “Scooter” Libby (how retarded a name is “Scooter” anyway?) Oh, and give the assist to Rupert Murdoch.

NWO +1!!!1!eleven

Oh. Well..shit.

Lame.

The one wounded from the first shooting later died (a 19 year old freshman girl). That's why they went from 32 to 33. :(

I think the coverage for this particular shooting is understandable. Because it is a big deal and raises a lot of genuine questions about school security, police action (or inaction), communication problems and the relevance of gun laws.

Compare this to the last week's Imus fiasco, and all those people who raised a huge stink about a lousily executed joke should be ashamed of themselves.

I caught a few seconds of it on TV during lunch today. Apparently after he killed the first two, he left a note? Something about hate towards the rich and dabauchery? I can't remember.

I heard it was just a note saying ''You made me do this''. Of course, that may not be true, its just what I heard.

I'm still amazed that guy jsut stood there with his camara phone recording. What the hell was he filming before the gunshots went of?

In a related not, I didn't find out about it until 12, when they said there were thirty dead and they had no idea where the killer was, though they seemed to know he'd killed himself. My first thought was "I jsut know someone, somewhere in the media, is going to tie this to either videogames, or Columbine." Sure enough, Charles Gibbons was less than two minutes into the ABC special report when he brought up Columbine.

so damn sad. Can't even imagine what I'd do if something like that happened around where I live...

Edit: Does it strike anyone else as particularly retarded that Fox news interviewed Jack Thompson of all people about this? I mean, it's bad enough people lost their lives to this guy, but do we really need an extra dash of over the top sensationalistic media to make it worse? Personally, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

Here's a thought.

You have a camera. Some guy is going around shooting people - you don't know but you might be next. There isn't much you can do - or you are already hiding (you can tell from the video that the guy was hiding around a corner.) You might as well catch a few images of the assailant before he kills you or kills others.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266511,00.html

"One student with whom Faith spoke mentioned video game violence as a possible culprit, if not a symptom of a greater societal ill.

“We’re training people to think life is like a video game, and a violent video game. So is it any surprise to find that people act as they are trained?” Faith said."

its at the bottom of that article...I knew something like that would come out...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266511,00.html

"One student with whom Faith spoke mentioned video game violence as a possible culprit, if not a symptom of a greater societal ill.

“We’re training people to think life is like a video game, and a violent video game. So is it any surprise to find that people act as they are trained?” Faith said."

its at the bottom of that article...I knew something like that would come out...

Jeez, will it ever end?

Jeez, will it ever end?

Nope. Media will blame games, TV, and music. The internet will retaliate and blame parents for not doing a good job. The blame game will be played for weeks, months, maybe even years.

Eventually everyone will forget to blame the one person who actually deserves it: the guy who decided to pick up the gun and kill 33 people.