Virginia Tech Shooting

!Nekko!

yeah, that statement is pretty much the most wrong thing you can say at this point, concerning asians (which, as said, shouldn't have any bearing on the matter). but i'm pretty sure there are way more other korean and korean american students out there that are fearful of anyone that actually thinks the way DragonFireKai is right now.

I uhh...I think it's a joke. One in absolutely bad taste, and possibly a reference to slanted statistical studies, but a joke nonetheless. Look at his post history; I doubt DragonFireKai is being serious here.

I agree with you on the actions of South Korea's Roh Moo-hyun. Such a political apology is only going to encourage suspicion, I think, since S. Korea is in no way responsible for this disaster and doesn't need to condemn/quell suspicion just yet. I'm not saying he needed to be heartless on the matter, but shouldering responsibility? The guy wasn't even raised there.

I'm not saying that his parents were the cause of his instability. However, it apparently was known that he was not... "right" in the head. I'm sure his parents knew it. It's not as if they couldn't have done anything to prevent this. Therapy stands out in my mind. Also, I'm sure that if a person is deemed a danger to themselves or others, a certain power over this person can be exerted.

That's a huge assumption really. Everybody has certain quirks and nobody can really distinguish mental illness by that alone. Also, we don't know if he was actually sane or not before going to college. Even his campus mates just thought he was just a gloomy loner.

I will agree that ultimately it is his fault and his fault alone (though looking back at my comment, I suppose it's pretty easy to interpret otherwise, sorry). I'm simply saying that it was preventable, had his parents been paying attention and taken care of this instability immediately, rather than let this man go out left to his own devices. That's all. It's bothersome that dangerously unstable people are being left to do as they please, especially when it results in 32 deaths of innocent students.

I'm not understanding the paradoxical stance you're taking on this. I think it's always easy to blame the parents, but I think in extreme cases like this, nobody could have led to believe that the guy would do something so brazen as he did. And if the parents had trepidation about Cho going to college, then I believe they would have stopped him. Also, what has actually allowed him to enroll in such a school is a mystery in itself including all the half hearted recommendation to therapy and counseling by those who picked up on his more radical behavior in the recent years. You can go on these tangents all you want, including the whole immigration thing, but that doesn't mean they're actually responsible for it.

Just a fun fact, South Koreans are now responsible for the deadliest civilian shooting in the US, and the deadliest civilian shooting worldwide.

Way to become the new Don Imus of OCR. Just a fun fact. Americans kill each other on a daily basis and in more horrific ways than even the VT shooting. haha. funny.

;261019']I agree with you on the actions of South Korea's Roh Moo-hyun. Such a political apology is only going to encourage suspicion' date=' I think, since S. Korea is in no way responsible for this disaster and doesn't need to condemn/quell suspicion just yet. I'm not saying he needed to be heartless on the matter, but shouldering responsibility? The guy wasn't even raised there.[/quote']

Offhanded apologies are pretty much the norm with these kinds of issues. Namely with first world nations such as South Korea is nowadays. Also, South Koreans typically strikes me as fiercely patriotic and I'm pretty certain that the vast majority of Asian Americans are suffering one way or the other by now. Korean or not.

Here's a video of Jack Thompson on MSNBC. Gotta love it when his claims get questions with logic instead of just agreeing with whatever he spews out.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/hardball/clip-jack-thompson-gets-hardballed-253501.php

Jack Thompson mentions this killing being a "body count game" and since this is related to counter-strike, a member on Kotaku pointed something out.

"If he played Counterstrike they should at least report his score as 31, not 33, that being 32 kills and -1 for suicide."

I know it's wrong, but i lol'd.

Seriously, how are this students actions related to video games? Yes, he kill people with guns lots of humans do. It doesn't mean he played Gears of War for 17 hours straight every day. God damn (sorry for the language) when will these "experts" learn that these people are sick and that anything could infulence them.

Alright... This has gone too far... I just saw on the news that the student victims, which means the dead ones, are getting posthumous degrees. I'm all for honoring the dead, but what is the fucking point of giving a dead person a degree? Better placement in the graveyard?

Alright... This has gone too far... I just saw on the news that the student victims, which means the dead ones, are getting posthumous degrees. I'm all for honoring the dead, but what is the fucking point of giving a dead person a degree? Better placement in the graveyard?

So all their work and studying within the university had not been in vain..? Best I can think of for now...

yeah i know what ur sayin. maybe make them honorary alumni or name something at the school after some of them. but i dont see the point with the degrees.

It's kinda pointless, but if it makes the survivors of the victims feel slightly better, it's worth it. No one's getting hurt by this.

Well, I've got an update for you guys, specifically regarding how the school is going to handle the rest of the semester:

Procedure for the Completion of the Spring 2007 Academic Semester

In short, students will be able to, on a class-by-class basis, either base their grade on what they have already submitted, base their grade on what's been submitted and any other work the student choses to submit, or base their grade on the material that would be submitted upon regular completion of the course.

I know some of you will probably feel this is a cheap way of letting students off the hook, but you have to consider how hard this has hit so much of the campus. In my case, even though I didn't lose anyone I knew in the shootings, and even though I have a sort of emotional wall I've built up over the years that's keeping me from feeling too much directly, I still have not been able to do any of the work I've been needing to do since the incident. I just can't concentrate anymore. My mind keeps going back to Monday. I can hardly fathom how hard it must be on those that did lose friends and/or family...

Dude, that sounds totally reasonable to me. Hell,I am still feeling impacted by this *watching the bullshit by the media doesn't help much*.

This isn't a cheap way for students to get good grades at all. It is totally understandable for a student to not be able to concentrate after what happened.

That was my point.

In any case, I'm going to talk to my professors individually and see where I stand in each of my classes. I know that I'm doing fairly well right now in three of my classes, two are up in the air, and one is borderline failing (well, not failing, but later courses require a C- or better and I believe I'm right below that cutoff mark). If I'm right about that, I'm going to keep going to all of my classes for the rest of the semester (so I can still learn the stuff) but only continue submitting assignments to the classes I need to do better in (so I can focus what little concentration capacity I still have on those classes). For that last class I'm borderline in, I'm just going to pull myself above the cutoff mark and then stop; I don't want to screw it up afterwards, which I very well could in the final for that class.

Nothing wrong with an honorary degree. It's not like they're going to use it, and it's one of the ways that the university can honor the students. I'm sure there will be memorials as well, but the funding for that will probably come from a private contribution.

In any case, it's totally senseless, and I can also understand how students would not be able to concentrate at this point. If it had happened here, I'm pretty sure the rest of my semester would be up in flames.

I'm also sure that some people may use this as a gun control platform, but one has to think that they'd have had a better chance had one of them been armed. And I have a feeling that as deranged as this guy was, he would have obtained a gun even if they were all illegal. Perhaps better information integration about past history would help, although that's not an easy fix, either.

That was my point.

In any case, I'm going to talk to my professors individually and see where I stand in each of my classes. I know that I'm doing fairly well right now in three of my classes, two are up in the air, and one is borderline failing (well, not failing, but later courses require a C- or better and I believe I'm right below that cutoff mark). If I'm right about that, I'm going to keep going to all of my classes for the rest of the semester (so I can still learn the stuff) but only continue submitting assignments to the classes I need to do better in (so I can focus what little concentration capacity I still have on those classes). For that last class I'm borderline in, I'm just going to pull myself above the cutoff mark and then stop; I don't want to screw it up afterwards, which I very well could in the final for that class.

My advice would be to accept everything but the bad class, then focus on trying to actually complete the work in just one class. The lighter workload would make it easier to complete, and you'd be surprised how much accomplishing something this semester will help your psyche, even if it's just one class.

Oh, and Arek, stop watching the media. If you want to know more, read AP stories in newspapers or something, but for God's sake, quit watching TV! Those guys are idiots trying to fill 24 hours of news for ratings. Oh yeah, and you should still watch "Bang Bang You're Dead."

Well, I've got an update for you guys, specifically regarding how the school is going to handle the rest of the semester:

Procedure for the Completion of the Spring 2007 Academic Semester

In short, students will be able to, on a class-by-class basis, either base their grade on what they have already submitted, base their grade on what's been submitted and any other work the student choses to submit, or base their grade on the material that would be submitted upon regular completion of the course.

I know some of you will probably feel this is a cheap way of letting students off the hook, but you have to consider how hard this has hit so much of the campus. In my case, even though I didn't lose anyone I knew in the shootings, and even though I have a sort of emotional wall I've built up over the years that's keeping me from feeling too much directly, I still have not been able to do any of the work I've been needing to do since the incident. I just can't concentrate anymore. My mind keeps going back to Monday. I can hardly fathom how hard it must be on those that did lose friends and/or family...

just posting that comment to say i wasnt one of those people

no shit about that being your point cause i kinda FIGURED

It may have been said already but this should be in PPR.

My sympathees go out to the 25-30 dead on Monday. I don't know why these things happen. I don't know why people would rather take lives instead of live to re-program the sodomy that surrounds humanity.

I really think we need to stop and think about the way and the reason why we live and feed this creature called the American dream. It can sometimes cost more lives than ensure prosperity. I'm not saying anyone's to blame besides the killer, but random school shootings won't stop unless something in our way of living and thinking changes. I shamefully have to give this discovery. It's my purpose on this planet. Seriously.

I know it's a little late, and probably opening still healing wounds, but I just can't get over how brutal this incident was. I'm just reading over various reports and accounts, and the survivors' stories about the incident are just beyond tragic. The videos of this madman that were sent to NBC display just how long his hatred had be festering. In the last one, he looks both angry, regretful, and exillerated. Crazy doesn't really begin to describe his state of mind.

I'm sorry to bring this up at this point, but I really can't seem to concentrate on anything else right now. I think that my coping mechanism is just to understand as much of what happened as possible. It may not be of much condolence for anyone else, but I think it helps to talk it out.