Virginia Tech Shooting

!Nekko!

Can someone explain why the fuck he's being made into a celebrity by the news? Posting his essays, putting up his picture with the two guns? Doing exactly what he wanted, and getting a lot of unnecessary attention for himself even after death? If there's one thing the media has shown us it's that if you're a killer, and you send promotional material to them, they'll make you famous!

Can someone explain why the fuck he's being made into a celebrity by the news? Posting his essays, putting up his picture with the two guns? Doing exactly what he wanted, and getting a lot of unnecessary attention for himself even after death? If there's one thing the media has shown us it's that if you're a killer, and you send promotional material to them, they'll make you famous!

Is the concept of a commercially driven industry really that hard to grasp?

Well, just about every insane dictators or mass murderers in the history have shared the same spotlight. I really wonder if it's only the media as it is simply human nature. Yes, I feel it's a sad thing for the shooter to become a celebrity of sorts, but this whole scenario does raise a lot of questions much, much more serious than the Don Imus crap or the birth of a baby elephant or something to do with riding a taxi for 2000 miles. I swear those were the fluff news pieces I really heard over the last few days.

I do believe the media today tends to over-dramatize everything because really, there isn't anything worthy of reporting otherwise (Brittneyplease).

But if stuff sticks too long in the newspapers, people are gonna do crazy things.

The best example I can think of is the polarbear in Germany. This bear is so effing popular that he's been on the news for at least a month.

And now it's getting deaththreats??? It's a freaking polarbear, get over it!

I just think the media was very relieved to hear about this shooting. "Finally some good news!"

I won't be surprised if the NBC actually talked to the guy during the two hour break: "uhm, say can you go back and kill more people? And make videos too! We need more drama damnit!"

I know that probably sounds disrespectful, but seriously, I dunno what to believe anymore.

Well, just about every insane dictators or mass murderers in the history have shared the same spotlight. I really wonder if it's only the media as it is simply human nature. Yes, I feel it's a sad thing for the shooter to become a celebrity of sorts, but this whole scenario does raise a lot of questions much, much more serious than the Don Imus crap or the birth of a baby elephant or something to do with riding a taxi for 2000 miles. I swear those were the fluff news pieces I really heard over the last few days.

Look, it's one thing to put the spotlight on people who commit atrocious acts, because people want to know why they did. That's fine.

But he is being GLORIFIED. They are putting up fucking PROMOTIONAL PICTURES that HE SENT IN to be famous. There's a hueg difference.

Look, it's one thing to put the spotlight on people who commit atrocious acts, because people want to know why they did. That's fine.

But he is being GLORIFIED. They are putting up fucking PROMOTIONAL PICTURES that HE SENT IN to be famous. There's a hueg difference.

To be fair, Zircon... other than ratings, one of the chief questions that networks have been demanded to answer is *why* he went on this rampage. I imagine a fraction of the reason why they keep showing it all is an attempt to get people to understand just what kind of man this guy was. Clearly psychotic. It could be possible that they're also trying to show the scale of which he was mad and how far he had gone to plan this. I think you can look at this as a demonization of his character almost as much as it is a glorification.

Now I definitely see where you're coming from. And I think to some extent you're correct. However, I don't simply think it's as clear cut as that. I'm sure if the material had no real value into the mind of this guy, it probably wouldn't have been shown.

I think the ultimate question is... how much of showing this material is too much?

I knew this was going to be a friggin circus. There hasn't been any murders in forever, except Iraq, so every news company is jumping up and down. They've got Jack Thompson, they've got Charles Gibson down there doing interviews a day after the shooting, they've even got the guy's manifesto on live television.

That being said, I don't think they are purposfully glorifing what the guy did. He's obviously being made out to be a psycho, but unfortunatly other psychos are seeing all this fame as a positive, and now we've got copycats making threats. We had some nut out here making a threat, so they locked down all the K-12 schools in the area until he turned himself in. I just hope this goes away after a month. I mean I feel bad, but I really don't want them tapping this for all it's worth, which is probably what they'll do anyways. All it does is breed apathy.

Yeah, he'll probably be a hidden character now in the next Soul Calibur. New Challenger: Cho.