OCR01602 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'Back 2 Skala'

Liontamer

Remixers: ambient, Skrypnyk

Game Remixed: Chrono Trigger

Song Remixed: Schala's Theme

Hey guys!

I think it has been a while since my last submission, so here comes my latest collaboration with one of the most talented glitch percussion programmers out there. I started working on this remix about a year ago, and it has its own little story. One time when I was totally bored and hanging in #ocremix, Taucer and I thought of a name for a joke remix - Chrono Wigga. It was intended for OLR, and we planned to put some "white" rapper vocals and wah-wah guitars in there. I started laying down the groundwork, some beats and arrangement ideas using Schala's theme as the source. However, at the time I was listening to a lot of downtempo electronica, and shortly that influence took over the mix completely. One of the thing that remains from the original hip-hop idea is the sub-bass, which has now been toned down a lot. In the process of working on the mix, I couldn't make percussion I was 100% happy with, and that is when I listened to some of Skrypnyk's glitch tracks. He agreed to work on the drums for this remix and I gave him complete creative freedom. At this point, the track formed into more or less what it is today.

So, why Back 2 Skala? Well, when I first played Chrono Trigger, I assumed that Schala's name was pronounced "Skala", instead of "Shala". Now I know that the proper way of pronouncing it is most likely "Shala", since in the Japanese version of the game it was spelled "Sara". To me, though, it will always be "Skala" (you have to admit, it does sound better). Also, Back 2 Skala is a reference to a relatively new track by one of my favorite bands, which other fans will easily recognize.

This mix took a long time to complete and it could be my last remix. Or at least my last remix for a long while. There are

other priorities in my life right now, and hobbies tend to suffer first.

I want to thank Skrypnyk for his great work and dedication to the project. Skrypnyk had only one short message for the panel: "I like drums =)." And it shows. He really exceeded my expectations on the drums and did a great job mastering the track. It turned out to be a successful fusion of Reason and FL.

Special thanks goes to Zircon for giving me feedback regardless of how many times I bothered him. Could not have pulled it off without his advice.

I hope you guys like this one!

Dang. This rocks. The stutter drums are amazing. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but this is awesome stuff. Strings opening are cool. Pretty mellow interpretation--seems this mix basically picked up the Schala chord progression and ran with it off into a hybrid-ambient-trance-onica sunset. Really beautiful. Again for emphasis, the stutter drums are awesome. I also love the TLC given to the stereo spectrum.

Nice work, fellows.

ABSOFREAKINLUTELY

So good. I've been following this since its inception and it has progressed a LOT since it started, which really says something about ambient as a constantly improving mixer. Since I've been giving advice along the way I can't really say anything negative at this point. Production rules, from the sick bass drones to the deep pads and Skryp's AMAZING drum sequencing. The arrangement is also really creative and chill, and while some might say it's too liberal, I for one am glad it didn't focus on the source riffs like many Schala mixes do.

MAJOR props, great job guys.

YES

Great ambient stuff by ambient. Great drum programming by.. Skrypnyk? That came out of the blue! Way to go from zero to hero in 4 minutes and 20 seconds!

Great piece. It's different to what I'd normally expect from this sort of track. Experimental is the word that leaps to mind. The stutter goes a bit over the top for my tastes. But it sounds pretty cool and people will either love it or accept it like I do, because the track is just that good.

I also agree with zircon that it's refreshing to hear a take on Schala's Theme that isn't a near-cover. I wouldn't say it's too liberal. The theme is apparent right from beginning to end, the mixer(s) have simply reduced the reliance on a melodic lead and let the sad strings melody slowly work its way through. Very effective and enjoyable.

As a side note, from the title I was expecting this to be a Ska remix of the theme. I'm actually relieved that it wasn't.

YES

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Sara's Theme" (ct-3-06.spc)

Yeah, good stuff y'all. A bit too lo-fi for my tastes on those strings, but otherwise everything was cool. In terms of the treatment of "Schala", definitely a good move going for a conceptually subdued arrangement that didn't place all the emphasis on the melody, but instead move things along via the source's original chord progressions.

The drum programming is defintely ace stuff from Skrypnyk. You ever gonna get a solo mix up? Hopefully your individual skills are improving beyond just drums; still though, props for that singular level of improvement, both here and in your previous Bubble Bobble sub.

It's just one of many but I liked the subtle but noticeable dynamic shift at 2:20. I loved the adjustments made in the drum programming from section to section. Say what you will about the drums & other glitch SFX seeming crazy the whole time, but it was the programming sophistication there that really controlled the dynamic changes in the mix and made them work so effectively.

Good stuff boys. As they say in poker, take it down.

YES