Let's All Chant - Super Mario Bros. Mix

jmr

First of all, let me make this clear: I know I have a weird taste in music; there's no need to remind me. Got that?

Okay.

This is what you get when you toss 70's disco, Super Mario Bros., exam stress, boredom, and borderline insanity into a blender:

[edit: a few small updates]

For comparison purposes; a crappy encoding of the original (or, at least, the version I have on vinyl):

[MP3 - 2.0MB] Michael Zager Band - Let's All Chant

(attn mods: I'm not sure of any rules against posting this source material. Feel free to remove the link if required.)

Basically, all of the main elements of the song have been replaced with sound effects from the original NES Super Mario Bros. game. For example, the "Oi Oi"s have been replaced with the jump sound effect, the claps have been replaced with the pipe sound effect, and so on. The melodic elements of the original have been replaced with triangle and square wave synths (I never limited myself to what the NES could produce, though; I'm not that picky). I tossed in some random sound effects from the game to make things interesting. I also sampled and used a portion of the vocals from the original, but I couldn't filter out the other lyrics clear enough to make them usable.

There's very little arrangement in this piece. In fact, I deliberately stayed as close to the source as possible.

I didn't know the original, but I like this. Chiptune covers are always great, and this is a pretty original sort of chiptune cover.

I'll admit, though, I was skeptical at first - it sounded like it was just going to be chip drum + chip bass, which gets old quickly. You might want to actually turn the treble up a bit in the beginning, which is a funny thing to say, at a time when the most common complaint about this sort of thing is "lacks bass". :)

It's stuff like this that keeps me checking wip:other every once in a while.

• 1 month later...