OCR00110 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Chemical Juice"

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Chemical Juice'

Arrh, Chemical Juice - my (Jivemaster) first mix which consequently got me on OCR and started all this crazy sheeit. The mix starts out with some fast right panned high hats which I used to give the song more pace. Mainly synth orientated here, with a bass like synth replacing the main lead from the original song, a fairly low-profile bass backing everything up and a bunch of synth stacks and reverberating blippy synths accompanying the main melody. I didn't try to go very far away from the original song, mainly sticking to the original tune and adding in the occasional drum stop. Near the end I try to spice it up a bit by adding in a bit of an outro by using existing elements from the song. Overall the mix is not too long, and I think I stopped just in time to avoid it becoming boring. Quite minimal, but concerning the circumstances I think it turned out pretty ok.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ohhh yeah! This is the shiz-huh-ziz-nah-kuh-hitz. Did I add enough extra sylables to the word "shit" to adequately convey how impressed I am with this mix? No? Add a gah-hiz in there somewhere.

I like music that I could actually picture playing the original game to. Well, really this one made me think of Sonic Adventure, but that's still good enough. Gotta love the sets of "DAA DAA DA!" just before the song loops! That's some good sonic! :D

• 1 month later...

Jivemaster, YOU ARE THE BEST! This Sonic remix, is by far the greatest, and freaking rocks. I had to put this on a CD so i can thump it while driving to work to wake me up. It's impossible not to see the chemical plant and the bubbling chemicals when playing the tune.

It's by far the most awesome sonic remix out there. My only complaint is that it's just 2:48 long, not quite enough! Please make some more mixes from the sonic series. It's pretty much the only games I played on the Sega thanks to my cheap parents growning up, but i think they were the best made games out there anyway.

Some work I'd like to see you do is the 'boss music' 'green hill' 'ice cap' and pretty much anything with the little blue guy. Thanks for your great work, and i hope to see more of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Personally, although I like a lot of Jivemaster's tracks, I find this one to be fairly average. It sounds way too similar to the original, even in the instrument choice. I'm not saying it's a bad remix, I enjoy it quite a bit, but it stays way too close to the original for me to even notice many differences.

I'm actually surprised Jivemaster is the only one who touched Chemical Plant Zone, this is a great track from Sonic, yet all the love goes to Ice Cap Zone?

I like this remix, except by making the main riff so low and bassy (you can hardly hear it), you lose the natural progression of the tune, so it just sounds like the background beat and riff playing nonstop, which isn't very exciting. Why did you put the main riff so low end? It sounds awkward.

• 5 weeks later...

I really like the drums but has any one heard the original song? The original track was awesome to begin with. This version stripped out a lot of the melody that really should have been left in, in my honest opinion. Still the finished product is very good. However I maintain a sort of remix of your remix could make an already great song into something fantastic.

Well, this was the first Jive song I heard, so I didn't think it was too bad.

Repetetive? Perhaps, but with this song it didn't really bug me that much. I've been a big fan of Sonic 2 and crave more Sonic 2 remixes, so, for me, this was nice to see. I listen to it in the car every now and again with max bass, albeit the bass in that song isn't complicated.

I enjoy the song. Jive's best? No. But still worth a listen.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Chemical Plant's BGM is one I often hum to myself. I like the sawtooth chords bassline as they do better what the original did so well. I didn't like that the melody was stuck way at the bottom bands though; it gets lost in the fray, and I liked the sharp, up-front melody of the original. It really rocks, but its place is up top, not in the bass.

Is it just me, or does this track seem to be taken from an 80's workout video? But that's not a bad thing. I actually enjoyed this remix a lot. The only thing I can complain about its a little repetitive. But I guess that's half the point of techno music anyway.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't say I was really liking this mix the first time I listened to it....but then I listened to it again, and again, and once more for good measure. And lo, I discovered I did actually like it. And so now, whenever it pops up in my now playing section, I just up the volume.

Kudos to a fellow Australian.

I'm beginning to think that people on this board don't like saying anything bad.

I really enjoyed the original song. It was catchy, fun and always reminds me of doing

loop-dee-loops at a hundred miles an hour.

This mix: took a boring, predictable breakbeat and just looped it for the whole damn song.

Also: what's with this distorted bass synth instead of the wailing midi guitar? Ick, by the way.

So little care and effort went into this.

• 1 month later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there another Chemical Zone remix on this site at one time? I seem to remember it being my favorite remix on this site a while back, and I just recently went to download it again, and it wasn't there.

or maybe I'm thinking of a different remix? Any other old timers wanna help me out? I seem to remember it totally fricken rocking. Not this remix, that is. :)

Well Skunk Face and Wintermute, of course the mix is pretty crappy - it was mix 110, and my first remix after all! If you were actually here at OCR back in the day of the old, old, old, old forums and no judges, you'd realise that basically every mix released was not exactly the most exciting piece of music material on the planet.

See it in context people 8)

-Jive

• 1 month later...

I really liked the first bits of the song right up until it really got into it. Then I was a little disappointed. It's still pretty good, but my favorite parts of the original were kinda ruined. Then again I've never remixed a tune before, so I guess I can't say TOO much until I make one.

• 2 months later...

Anytime that someone turns a "Sonic" song into a dance anthem, it's worthy of undue praise -- and this is, most definetly, worthy of undue praise!

Excellent bassline, effective use of the original melody, while still being true to the derivative source-material

Very nice stuff!!

HOLY SHIT IT'S MY 100TH POST! WHOOOOOA!

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00110 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Chemical Juice"