OCR00110 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Chemical Juice"

• 6 months later...

Blah... I listened to this on my IPod whilst playing Chemical Plant Zone, so that my parents wouldn't yell at me to turn the sound down. I have to say, while I like the original, I think the volumes and emphasis are just a tad off in this incarnation. I can't put my finger on it, but there is one instrument that just doesn't belong in this mix.

I like the bouncy feel of the original a bit more.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry but I just don't like this... It sounds like a midi was imported into FL Studio, using primarily 3xOSCs with default presets. Having said that, it also sounds like very little was done to consider it a 'remix.'

The bass needs to be boosted way up, I can barely hear it. I need to be able to feel it with my subwoofer. Need to rethink the hihats used, they overshadow everything but the main synth. Maybe use closed hats. And sounds like a Pilch bass preset on the bg synth. Ugh.

Two things, I believe I like in this track. One, the drums (outside of that hats). Two, it still has somewhat of a feel for the original.

Changing the end of the track doesn't make it a remix.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but it's my honest opinion on the matter.

I think that Jivemaster's more recent mixes - you know, the stuff he's done within the past six years - amply demonstrate that he's learned how to use a mixer. By all means, criticize the remix... but realize that the remixer has progressed considerably since then.

That said, I'm down with Chemical Juice. It's extremely reminiscent of the original, true, but that just ramps up the all-important nostalgia factor.

I'de have to agree with all of the bad reviews, especially azrane's. Its way too mutch like the origonal. Listen to other remixes and what they do, insted of having the origonal with different sounds, mix it up, add your own synth line or somthing and lern how to use a mixer.

Yeah, way to look at the date of creation. :lol:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I've been going through my OCR collection. While the complaints I had for this song were with just the main melody being that low pitch, I do understand that this song was created a long time ago, in Jive's early career.

This song was one of few that got me listening here on overclocked remix. For me, it is iconic. The percussion and the pace of this song hold legendary status in my memories and will for as long as I live.

Kudos, jivemaster.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty rocking for an older OCR track groovewise..at least at the beginning. By the end the loop wears a bit thin. I'm not sure what the melody is doing down in such a low octave; can't say that it's really being done any favors, and the arrangement is way conservative, but it's a cool time capsule, and the first Sonic 2 mix on the site deserves some recognition regardless.

• 4 years later...

Man, that drum beat sounds so retro....and I'm not even mad, I don't mind oldschool sounds at all. Granted, this is dated and has conservative elements out the wazoo, but for what it's worth, it's certainly not the worst Chemical Plant mix I've ever heard. Sometimes I'll take a mix that is close to the original and has minor changes to a mix that is too liberal, but that's just me. Jivemaster has done better, but this is a good place to see one of the earlier Jive works to compare and appreciate.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00110 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Chemical Juice"