The 2D Fighter Thread

ILLiterate

The main reason I was bashing SVC is because one day, I was kind of intrigued by the game and youtub'ed it and I found
Needless to say, it lost my interest very quickly. And Guile's voice over is laughable.

Maybe I'm just dense, but why exactly did that battle turn you off from the game? Anyway, people's opinions differ, and it's true that a lot of people didn't like SVC Chaos. All I'm saying is that more people should actually PLAY it and give it a chance before passing judgement. I found it to be a fun game with an interesting roster and great artwork. It's easy enough to emulate, so why not give it a shot? Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Why do all fighters have really stupid sayings.

Such as " I done handcuffed lightning" Or "Go for broke"

What the heck do any of these mean?

"Go for broke" is an actual expression. It means to expend every resource you have in order to attain or accomplish something. In the context of Street Fighter Alpha 3, the announcer is essentially telling you to not hold back anything and give it your all. Triumph or die.

As far as "I done handcuffed lightning" goes, I have no idea where that's from, and I don't think it's an actual expression, but just think about the words. When you handcuff someone, you've caught them; you've stopped them from going anywhere and you're basically in control. Lightning is fast. Super-fast. If you manage to "handcuff," or catch, lightning, you've pretty much accomplished something that's impossible.

"You can't get it up! Triumph or Die!"

Or at least that's what I've always heard.

As far as announcers goes, the worst/best would probably have to be the guy from CvS2. The way he just keeps talking nonsense/bad Japenglish for minutes on end always makes me laugh.

Probably not the issue. SNK has always been bullied by SCEA because Sony just hates 2D graphics and doesn't think old games show off the power of their system. The only ways SNK could get games released would be at budget prices with multiple games in one disk, hurting them in business side of things. Now that the PS3 is out, Sony has lowered their standards and SNK is letting out their stuff. It looks like it will come out chronologically, so first we'll get Art of Fighting (FF prequel) then Fatal Fury, then King of Fighters, ect.

It'll probably be awhile for the new stuff to come out, but it might come out in a bundle, so just help them profit a bit and their stuff will come faster

Trust me, I know the story of SCEA screwing SNK/P over here.

I'll support them by buying SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters on DS. Comes out today (Wednesday). Is it really worth buying these collections tho'? I for one have those games (AoF's and FF's) emulated at least, and they weren't that attractive that much to begin with. Best have some specials to make it worth it...

Edit: Announcers.

"You can't give it up. Triumph or die!" Yeah, SFA3's guy was alright. I've heard speculations that Robert Garcia was the announcer in CvS2. I can see his face with that voice, but who knows if that's the case. As for which I favor, it'd probably be SF3:TS just because that guy sounds less ridiculous.

I found the CvSNK2 announcer a little annoying at times but I still think he probably has the most personality out of any fighting game annoucner. I didn't mind SFA3's announcer much. I think very similar in some ways.

By the way, who's getting SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters DS?

It looks cool but I have heard very little about it as of late.

So I've just recently started getting into SFIII: Third Strike and was wondering if anyone would mind mentioning who are considered the top tier characters and who should clearly be avoided. I'd look it up myself, but I'm terribly lazy and this seems like a good enough place as any.

At the moment I'm digging Ken, Yun, Yang, and Ibuki.

So I've just recently started getting into SFIII: Third Strike and was wondering if anyone would mind mentioning who are considered the top tier characters and who should clearly be avoided. I'd look it up myself, but I'm terribly lazy and this seems like a good enough place as any.

At the moment I'm digging Ken, Yun, Yang, and Ibuki.

Ken, Yun, and (to a lesser extent) Yang are very strong, but Ibuki is defintely not top tier. She takes a lot of damage and her godly super was nerfed from Second Impact. But honestly she is an awesome player to learn. I use her 90% of the time in fights. Why play all the same characters as everyone else? Isn't that incredibly boring to you? Play what you like. You'll get a lot more respect beating someone with Ibuki or Dudley then beating someone with Ken, Yun, or Chun (the godly three). Good luck!

Makoto is fourth just so you know. A lot of people are bored with Yun despite being considered top. Not saying people don't use him, but I don't find a majority of people playing as him. Ken is fairly easy to pick up which is why I think there are a lot of Ken players. As for Chun Li players, I think you have to be very self-conscious of throwing out whiffs and baiting. (Everyone does c.MK into super.) As for Makoto, the one move that makes her a huge threat is her grab/choke move. It takes off a bit of damage, and you can get off an extra hit right after too. This follow up hit takes off a lot more than you'd think. For extremely awesome videos of Makoto, hit up youtube and search for a Japanese Makoto player named J.

I offer this good vid. Also because I hate Hugo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiJhHMgLRK8

Since no one uses Muay Thai in Third Strike, I went with my second discipline of choice and chose the boxer. Dudley is the man with his easy link combos (not sure if that's the right phrase) and some good spacing tools. I Don't know where he is on the teir list, but I love his code of honor. "Let's fight like gentlemen."

Love his sense of style too. Suspenders are so in these days.

I've recently started playing Dudley, and I know what you mean. Excellent boxer; way more elegant than Balrog ever was.

I'd love to see them go head to head.

comme voulez-vous

This is a pretty cool dream match. You might not like the outcome, however. The Dudley was being pretty brain dead.

Edit:

is better except for the funny glitch at around 3:00.

Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 (NeoGeo)

Now available on PS2 as well; Fatal Fury Battle Archives 2.

Capcom Fighting Jam (PS2)

No. Just...no.

Talking about Dudley: I love to pull off his d+HK into hcf+MK. Helluva damage.

Soul Calibur: I need to get part 3, so I can form my own opinion on it. SC1 was great, SC2 a major letdown.

Haha, "I've done handcuffed lightning" was a strange change from "I'm faster than lightning", I must say. Still better than Lau coughing through everything he says, though...

As for Card Fighters, if its even CLOSE to the NGPC original, im definately buying it.

Now available on PS2 as well; Fatal Fury Battle Archives 2.

Whoa, thanks for the heads up! Getting this one right now. The Real Bout series is one of the most underrated fighters of all time, especially RBFF2. What an awesome game.

As far as Capcom Fighting Jam goes, I didn't get into it myself, but a lot of people seem to like it. Just trying to fill out the list. But I still think it's one of those games like SVC Chaos that gets a lot of bad hype and a lot of people don't even really try it. And you wonder why no one bothers to make 2D fighters anymore! Everything gets compared to SFA3, SF3TS, Guilty Gear, etc. Not every game can be as good as some of the classics we have around, but that doesn't mean they aren't worth playing.

And if you didn't like SC2 don't even bother with 3. I had some fun with it but overall it didn't get a lot of play from me. The custom character creation bit was fun for a while, but the fact that you have to play some really boring strategy game to get parts was annoying.

Has anyone else heard this rumor that Famitsu has the scoope on Guilty Gear Accent Core for Wii. If this is true then the Wii will be getting it first real worth while fighting game (at least in my opinion). I wonder if it will support Wi-Fi play. Anyway you can find some stories about it over at IGN,

http://wii.ign.com/articles/783/783358p1.html

1up has a story up too.

Concerning this SF:TS characters talk. I personally prefer using Akuma. I know he's cheap but I don't really use him in that manner. I never teleport nor use the air fireball. I just use him because I love his personality and I just think he's badass. I am that kind of guy that plays a character just because I like their style rather than if they are any good or not. From a stragetic point (other than hes cheap) he is a good character to use because has the best of both worlds (Ken and Ryu). He is faster than Ryu but stronger than Ken. Not to mention he has 3 super-arts avialable form the start. However, he lacks EX moves and takes a crap load of damage.

As far as Capcom Fighting Jam goes, I didn't get into it myself, but a lot of people seem to like it. Just trying to fill out the list. But I still think it's one of those games like SVC Chaos that gets a lot of bad hype and a lot of people don't even really try it. And you wonder why no one bothers to make 2D fighters anymore!
No, wrong. I bought the game, and I felt so bad that I just gave it away. It's amazingly terrible. You take characters from different fighters, and do NOTHING to balance, NOTHING to change the sprites (SF3 Ryu has CvS2 sprites wtf), the backgrounds are TERRIBLE AND AWFUL TO LOOK AT, the characters made for the game SUCK, you can't tag team which is stupid since you're forced to pick two people, it's just a really really bad experience