The 2D Fighter Thread

ILLiterate

Just learn how to do Ryu's crouch cancel and the rest of his V- combos. Or try V- Sakura :<

OR if you wanted to be a total turd, master A- Dalhsim.

I tried for a good 3 days to get the crouch cancel down with ryu, but I failed miserably. Plus, I'm sure the lag online would ruin any chances of me ever doing it in a match. I may try again someday, but I think I want a better controller first (ie. a stick.) My current pad likes to get stuck in down-back, so I look like I turtle all the time. So then people just go buck-wild and jump-in on my like crazy, and I get frustrated and lose.

Dalhsim seems like an interesting character to learn, but I don't think I want to put in the time required to learn him. If I'm going to play any moderately difficult character it would be Zangief, just because he's awesome and takes up like a quarter of the screen and his throws are ridiculous. Oh, and I have tried to start picking up Sakura (A-ism first) because I just like her attacks and speed, but again, my controller can't handle the rigors of decent competition, so I'm taking a break from that game for a while.

So I got my custom MAS arcade stick in the mail, and it's pretty bitchin. Sadly, it took over 2 months to get here, but I've heard if you live in LA you can pick it up at their shop in like 3 hours. It is a family business, run by pretty much family only, so I can forgive them, because the quality of the stick is OOZING out of it, I highly recommend it

So I got my custom MAS arcade stick in the mail, and it's pretty bitchin. Sadly, it took over 2 months to get here, but I've heard if you live in LA you can pick it up at their shop in like 3 hours. It is a family business, run by pretty much family only, so I can forgive them, because the quality of the stick is OOZING out of it, I highly recommend it

Pics plz.

And have any of you guys looked at the custom sticks (pictures) thread on SRK? Those things look amazing! Just thinking about the time and effort those guys put into their hardware makes it that much cooler.

Kind of reminds me of the first (and only) time I played on custom made, metal DDR pads.

I made a custom stick. It wasn't hard at all, and it's so awesome. Fits my hands perfectly, has a nice wide area to rest my forearms, and the hardware is all real arcade parts (no, I don't like convex buttons or Japanese style sticks). I wired it for PS1/2 and bought some adapters to use on my PC/Dreamcast, etc.

stick1jd0.th.jpg

Very nice, Evilhead. It doesn't have any graphics on it or anything, but it looks very functional and sturdy. I'll have to take a picture of my Pelican joystick sometime because it's actually pretty cool looking. I'm sure you could easily find a generic picture of it on the internet, though.

Apparently GGX2 Accent Core is coming out for Wii. It'll be interesting to try a fighting game with the Classic Controller (which I'm sure will be supported).

I also got the top score on a Marvel vs Capcom machine at a local arcade using one quarter. Bam.

Now if only I had enough money to get really good at MvC2...

Very nice, Evilhead. It doesn't have any graphics on it or anything, but it looks very functional and sturdy. I'll have to take a picture of my Pelican joystick sometime because it's actually pretty cool looking. I'm sure you could easily find a generic picture of it on the internet, though.

Yeah, I know a lot of people like to make custom graphics or cover their sticks with stickers and whatnot, but I always go for the "less is more" approach. I like simple designs, but in the end it's all about how the thing plays anyway.

I can't believe you lived in Japan for some time and didn't go to a single arcade!! Anyway, the competition is fierce. There are some mid-level players at some arcades, but most of the time they guys are just insanely good.

Don't get me wrong, I went to arcades (as I wrote in the post above, I watched some matches), but I never spent any money on 2D fighters, simply because I knew I would get my ass handed to me (although, this one time at the Taito Arcade in Shinjuku, the guy didn't seem that ultra-uber-good). I usually went for DDR/Taiko no tatsujin, Initial D, House of the Dead 4 and stuff like that. Also, 2D shmups.

Btw, Evilhead, I wonder how heavy your stick is. I have the Real Arcade Pro, and compared to, say, the NeoGeo stick, it's rather heavy.

Well, it's made of wood so it's not light. But it sits pretty comfortably on your lap, and since it's pretty tall (about 15-20cm?) it comes right up to where your arms are. Or it sits nicely on a table. Kind of a pain to lug to a friend's house though.

I have alwasy prefered the controller over a stick, I can't really explain why. It just feels better than a stick to me. However I am very picky about the controllers. As I said earlier, I dislike the xbox's controller for fighting games and the gamecube's isn't really that great either. So far the best D-pad for fighters to me in the Gameboy micro's D-pad. I know it sounds stupid but that d-pad is probably the most responsive d-pad I have ever used. Next would be the Wii's Classic controller (which is similar to the Mirco's D-pad) and then the good-old DualShock 2. I haven't tried the Six-axis so I can't say anything about it. The PSP's d-pad just plain sucked in my opinion.

Still my favorite pad:

11219wh3.jpg

But sticks will always win at fighting games for me. Yes, I I can pull off fireballs and dragon punches about 95% of the time with a decent pad, but for doing more complex inputs like some Guilty Gear finishing moves and other crazy KOF moves (like two halfcircles back, etc) the stick is just a lot more accurate for me.

Yeah, it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish for deciding wether to go with a pad or a stick. Let me reiterate how much easier and how much more fun it is to play Zangief on a stick than trying to use a pad.

I had a lot of trouble originally with shotos and others just trying to do basic jump-in combos. (on the stick that is) Using charge characters such as balrog and honda are about the same for me on both stick and pad, but I can play bison on anything; I just need to <-, ->, and a punch button, haha. I haven't gotten to play KOF on my stick yet, but I'm sure it'a much simpler

Slightly off topic, but I've found sticks to be way better suited for 3D fighting games. There're simply a lot of moves that require you to press two buttons with only a very short delay. And if those two buttons happen to be square and circle or triangle and X, you're pretty much fucked.

Actually, now that I think about it, Yun and Dudley have some combos that you can pull off with a stick much easier than with a pad.

I know. To lazy to DL the 600 meg game file tho. And my current stick doesn't work on my computer, so, meh. That's why I'm glad I found it for Xbox. I don't have live though, so I'll just be practicing against my brother and the computer for a while. At least until I find someone around here where I live that plays.