The 2D Fighter Thread

ILLiterate

Dreamcast has KoF 99 Dream Match (actually a better version of 98), arcade perfect MvC2 and better versions of some SNK games

Yeah, KoF Dream Match 1999 is so awesome. The title is misleading because most people probably think it's a port of that POS KoF99, whereas it's actually an awesomely enhanced version of the best KoF games made by SNK before they became SNK-Playmore.

I had heard something about KOF 99 dreammatch actually being an upgraded 98 but I wasn't to sure. If thats the case, I would certainly like to play it.

Anyway, about this getting Dreamcast games for free thing, how does it work and were can I get them. That might help me in deciding wether to get a Dreamcast or not. I don't particularly like pirating software, buying, or owning pirated software for that matter but the Dreamcast has been dead for awhile, so I doubt anyone cares anymore.

Google is your friend. Shouldn't be too difficult to find a good website for Dreamcast Emulation on there. You'd better have a lot of time on your hands and a big HD, though because I imagine DC games are friggin' huge downloads.

I'm emulating my old psx library right now and those games are pretty hefty (in size), in my opinion anyway.

I had heard something about KOF 99 dreammatch actually being an upgraded 98 but I wasn't to sure. If thats the case, I would certainly like to play it.

Anyway, about this getting Dreamcast games for free thing, how does it work and were can I get them. That might help me in deciding wether to get a Dreamcast or not. I don't particularly like pirating software, buying, or owning pirated software for that matter but the Dreamcast has been dead for awhile, so I doubt anyone cares anymore.

It's pretty damn easy. Download a Dreamcast ISO from your favorite torrent site, burn it to CDR with DiskSwapper, and pop it into your Dreamcast. Plays without any mods or disc swapping whatsoever.

Quick question:

Is it necessary to know the TOC of a game if you own the original?? One guy said it gives an idea of what games need to be rebuilt. The more I read about Swap Magic 3.6 and cogs and elfs the more I get confused.

Basically what Im interested in doing is putting in swap magic, pulling it out, sticking in said original japanese disc, and playing it. No back ups, nothing complicated.

Hey guys, mirror moon just finished their full English translation of Melty Blood.

Unfortunately (for me) I'm having trouble, uhh... acquiring the correct copy of the CD to work with the patch, so I figured I might as well obtain the game legally.

So... any suggestions on where to get the game from?

Thanks evilhead.

So now Ive finally got my fliptop on and Im playing massive quantities of Neo Geo Battle Coliseum and Garou :)

Question for people who own KoF Orochi Collection. Does the music in the game continually cut out. I heard that this was a problem on the original '96 but the music cuts out far too frequently on all three games '95, '96, and '97. Any known fixes??

About the whole "Dreamcast or Importing?" question I asked awhile back, I have finally made my decesion.

I am going to do both.

Because I have decided to go ahead and import as well is buy a Dreamcast, It is going to take awhile because I am going to have to save a lot of money. My PS2 just broke on me too and that doesn't help anything.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions and inputs guys. I appreciate it.

I'm not a big fan of MUGEN myself, but have you guys played the 2ch mugen fighter? Personally I think it's too funny and weird to pass up. Some characters are obviously way better than others, but you guys really should try it. Probably the most fun I've had with a 2D fighter in a while. Pretty well put together, and you'll laugh a few times at least. There's an official download page somewhere, but for the time being this should work:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FB3DSTZ8

Be warned that there is a small amount of nudity within the game, so you might want to avoid playing it in front of your boss if you pick certain characters.

Here are some gameplay vids if you want to check it out:

Mods, I'm pretty sure all of the characters were made especially for this game, so there shouldn't be any copyright issues with posting this fan game, but delete if you don't feel that way.

Yeah, Mugen is fun to tinker with. Eazy P hates it, though, haha.

I've always wanted to make a custom Juggernaut from "I'm the Juggernaut Bitch!" (complete with voice overs and x-men strikers) but I have no experience with creating my own characters.

I just download other creators' characters so, I'm what the Mugen community would call a leach or something along those lines.

If you stop by the bay area we could get some smashers from Smash Boards and have a local tournament, check if you are going through San Mateo or Hillsbourogh

That would be awesome, I'm not sure if we're passing through there yet or what our schedule's going to be like though, so i'll keep that in mind

Hey guys, mirror moon just finished their full English translation of Melty Blood.

Unfortunately (for me) I'm having trouble, uhh... acquiring the correct copy of the CD to work with the patch, so I figured I might as well obtain the game legally.

So... any suggestions on where to get the game from?

My question still stands.

Evilhead, any suggestions?

My question still stands.

Evilhead, any suggestions?

Hmm... you've checked all the import sites? I'm sure a torrent is available, but if you want to get the game legitimately it might be difficult to find a place that imports Japanese PC games. I can keep my eye out at the used game shops... It's probably pretty cheap by now.

That would be totally sweet if you did.

A torrent of the original CD does not exist anywhere on the internet, hence my question.

I'm not well versed in the import shops, but the ones that I looked at had the thing going for close to $40. I like Melty Blood, but I'm not sure that I'm willing to shell out 40 bucks for it.

If you do find a reasonably priced copy, I've got paypal, but would be willing to try a different form of payment on your suggestion.