The 2D Fighter Thread

ILLiterate

That would be totally sweet if you did.

A torrent of the original CD does not exist anywhere on the internet, hence my question.

I'm not well versed in the import shops, but the ones that I looked at had the thing going for close to $40. I like Melty Blood, but I'm not sure that I'm willing to shell out 40 bucks for it.

If you do find a reasonably priced copy, I've got paypal, but would be willing to try a different form of payment on your suggestion.

A torrent, no, but a rapidshare... somewhere. I can't tell you where. I'm sure the people at 4chan could....

Melty Blood: React? I have that. It is true that there aren't any torrents for it any more. But I'm not going to give it to you. Instead, I'll tell you where to get it for free. ;)

If you go to SRK (Shoryuken.com), they have a free FTP server filled with game related files and some non-game related stuff. If you have any FTP program (i.e. Flash FXP), you should be able to find the location and password for the server and just grab it off of there. Then from there, you need to burn it to a DVD and that's about it. At least, that's how I got it anyway. I'm sure you can just search the boards for a thread with the word FTP in it. Hopefully, it's still up.

It seems as though Art of Fighting Anthology has quickly and quietly leaped onto store shelves

http://games.ign.com/articles/788/788501p1.html

"It's great that PlayStation 2 system owners will be able to add the Art of Fighting Anthology to their game libraries at long last," said Ben Herman, president of SNK Playmore USA Corporation. "The Art of Fighting series holds a significant place in gaming history, being one of the first games to allow players to perform a 'super attack' during a match. It also is the first fighting game to introduce graphical scaling - as opponents move away from each other, the game's camera moves out to keep both players on the screen."

I didn't think SNK of USA would get it out this fast, but it's out. Most sources say the game is at $19.99 but I've heard $29.99. Either way, this package is well worth the purchase, containing all three Art of Fighting games. A welcome start to the wave of SNK 2D Fighters that will be blasting onto North America, get your Ryo Sakazaki and Robert Garcia on, not to mention Young Geese

Guilty Gear X2 and basically any other one after that in my case has got to be one of the most balanced 2D fighting games I've ever seen. That and the music isnt too bad either. Basically the fact that everyone there has something to do with something with rock, or is directly influenced off something makes it alot more interesting. Cant wait for Accent Core to come out for the Wii.

Me too. Guilty Gear Accent Core on Wii should be awsome. And, for those who are afraid of the control scheme, don't worry because it is confirmed that it will have the option of using the classic controller. Can't Wait!

So, does that mean we have factual evidence that the game will be coming out for the Wii? Last I heard, the only info we had about Accent Core on the Wii was some sketchy japanese website's blog or something.

Well, GameFAQs is usually pretty unreliable about these things, but there are some release dates up there:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/data/938149.html

I was never as much of a fan of the AoF games as KoF and the Fatal Fury/RBFF series, but these collections are so well done and such a great value that they really do warrant a purchase by any real 2D fighting fan.

I heard at the local Gamecrazy they're selling it for $14.99

What a bargan

Man, button mashing on GG is the way to go because everything you do seems to create a large splash of blood or giant explosion. My friends and I took some time away from our button mashing-fest to just watch me do every character's insta-kills.

Faust and Zappa's insta-kills are classic. Faust's was remeniscent of Smoke's "blow up the whole freaking world" fatality in UMK3.

Edit: found this on SRK as I was looking for good pad-hacking sites

They have your pad in here, Citris

Went to a Smash tournament/meet up. Whupped ass in friendlies but lost pretty quickly in tournament (1st match win, lost next two). At least they where good players

Today I found there is a Namco Amusement Center in the mall nearest to my cousins who live in Hayward. I walked in and they have SFAE (SF2 up to SFA3 in one cabinet), Tekken 5, SC1, SC3:TE, GGXX#reload and Garou:Mark of the Wolves, good times ahoy from that place, might want to learn GGXX now

Went to a Smash tournament/meet up. Whupped ass in friendlies but lost pretty quickly in tournament (1st match win, lost next two). At least they where good players

Today I found there is a Namco Amusement Center in the mall nearest to my cousins who live in Hayward. I walked in and they have SFAE (SF2 up to SFA3 in one cabinet), Tekken 5, SC1, SC3:TE, GGXX#reload and Garou:Mark of the Wolves, good times ahoy from that place, might want to learn GGXX now

And you wonder why I hate you....

I'm not a big fan of MUGEN myself, but have you guys played the 2ch mugen fighter? Personally I think it's too funny and weird to pass up. Some characters are obviously way better than others, but you guys really should try it. Probably the most fun I've had with a 2D fighter in a while. Pretty well put together, and you'll laugh a few times at least. There's an official download page somewhere, but for the time being this should work:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FB3DSTZ8

Be warned that there is a small amount of nudity within the game, so you might want to avoid playing it in front of your boss if you pick certain characters.

Here are some gameplay vids if you want to check it out:

Mods, I'm pretty sure all of the characters were made especially for this game, so there shouldn't be any copyright issues with posting this fan game, but delete if you don't feel that way.

LOL, thanks for that.