The 2D Fighter Thread

ILLiterate

Capcom just released the first Guile sprite art for SFIIT HD Remix on Friday. I must say I really like the way these sprites are turning out. Here's a link

http://blogs.capcomusa.com/blogs/digital.php/2007/06/15/first_guile_art

With good news also comes some not so good news. I just found out that the game is going have the exact same fps. I know it will keep the gameplay intact but I think the very low fps might make these sprites look crappy in motion. I am still very excited though.

http://udoncrew.deviantart.com/journal/13374449/#comments

With good news also comes some not so good news. I just found out that the game is going have the exact same fps. I know it will keep the gameplay intact but I think the very low fps might make these sprites look crappy in motion. I am still very excited though.

http://udoncrew.deviantart.com/journal/13374449/#comments

That's what I was afraid of from the very beginning. Good looking sprites, but crappy animations.

No thanks, I'd rather have some TS or MotW. The sprites may not be high-res, but at least the moves look smooth.

My biggest issue with SSF2THDR is the fact that they're just slapping on the new art and whatnot, while keeping everything exactly the same, which could be considered both a pro and a con. Sure, they do want the game to play the same, but keep in mind that most of the damage in the SF2 games was randomized, and you'll see where I worry.

But regardless, I'm pretty stoked for it. It's one of the reasons I'm picking up a 360.

I figured out a really easy way to take out Balrog on Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Just duck when he does his dash punch and use two weak kicks and then a strong kick (ducking).

So yeah, I've figured out that weak punches and kicks are great for setting up stronger attacks.

Is anybody good with Zangief? I love how he has so many throwing moves on the Turbo version.

By the way, Sagat is the easiest boss ever.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in an IRC room with Sirlin (helps run shoryuken.com, working on Udon with the art for the new SF2 on Xbox Live), he said that it's based off a manga, and in no way in hell it will be SF4. The SF4 part we all knew for sure but the manga part...not sure

He also threw out that, damn people pick up on the games art quickly. He's assured that even though the sprites will be redrawn, the animations will be as smooth as they where in Super Turbo. The most recent news from him is that he has rejected art on Sagat's Fierce kick, and they're working on the head size of T.Hawk, if this excites anyone. I tried to see if the voices will be redone or stay original but he wouldn't say D:

I got to try out Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (that's a mouthful) at Anime Expo on Saturday. There's a lot of small tweaks that make the game really different. Ky was one of my mains and now either he's terrible or he takes some getting used to. I didn't have enough time to get full impressions. Also, Bridget now seems to be a god.

I was in an IRC room with Sirlin (helps run shoryuken.com, working on Udon with the art for the new SF2 on Xbox Live), he said that it's based off a manga, and in no way in hell it will be SF4. The SF4 part we all knew for sure but the manga part...not sure

Damn that sucks. I was really hoping it would at least be something new, but a Manga 2d fighter. If this manga crap turns out to be true, this game is probably going to suck. I am losing more and more faith in capcom everyday.

EDIT: I don't think you could really consider the framerate in SSFII T smooth but thats just my opinion.

Damn that sucks. I was really hoping it would at least be something new, but a Manga 2d fighter. If this manga crap turns out to be true, this game is probably going to suck. I am losing more and more faith in capcom everyday.

EDIT: I don't think you could really consider the framerate in SSFII T smooth but thats just my opinion.

The framerate is smooth, the animations aren't, but a lot of people are saying the new graphics will make it look even worse, which it won't

Also a manga 2D fighter isn't bad. Capcom made JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and that is one of my favorite fighters of all time. Not to mention the Fist of the North Star arcade game by Arc Systems is pretty epic as well. Then there's all the doujin ones that have been pretty epic recently, like Melty Blood. All I want are more quality 2D fighters, and Capcom aims to deliver

The framerate is smooth, the animations aren't, but a lot of people are saying the new graphics will make it look even worse, which it won't

Also a manga 2D fighter isn't bad. Capcom made JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and that is one of my favorite fighters of all time. Not to mention the Fist of the North Star arcade game by Arc Systems is pretty epic as well. Then there's all the doujin ones that have been pretty epic recently, like Melty Blood. All I want are more quality 2D fighters, and Capcom aims to deliver

I guess it won't be horrible but I just never really liked licensed games and the fighters you mentioned I never really enjoyed playing but hopefully capcom can bounce back and make quality 2d fighter that looks pretty decent as well.

Well, considering how well their last anime/manga-based fighter (Shijô saikyô no deshi Ken'ichi, 3D fighter with some 2D mechanics) turned out, I'm looking forward to the new game. Here's to hope that the manga it'll be based on isn't complete crap.

The game's going to suck, because it's based on a manga. Because you know, the Street Fighter series doesn't have any of the visual style of manga or anime.

Right. :roll:

You shouldn't really hate on a fighter just because it's based on a manga. Many fighting games have RIDICULOUS character designs that are HEAVILY influenced by anime/manga, and Capcom series are prime examples. Street Fighter, Rival Schools, Dark Stalkers, etc.

Don't lose faith. When Capcom makes a brand-new fighter, they do a pretty good job.

The game's going to suck, because it's based on a manga. Because you know, the Street Fighter series doesn't have any of the visual style of manga or anime.

You shouldn't really hate on a fighter just because it's based on a manga. Many fighting games have RIDICULOUS character designs that are HEAVILY influenced by anime/manga, and Capcom series are prime examples. Street Fighter, Rival Schools, Dark Stalkers, etc.

Don't lose faith. When Capcom makes a brand-new fighter, they do a pretty good job.

It has nothing to do with art style. I am actually a fan of manga and anime and the art style they present. The reason why I don't have much high hopes is because licensed games usually aren't that great and as I mentioned before, I am not a huge fan of some of the 2d fighters based on manga out right now. I'll keep faith but I am also not going to keep my hopes up.

You pretty much missed the point. This isn't about character design etc. Just as dsx said, it's about the fact that it's a licensed game.

If a company produces an absolutely new game/franchise, they have to put great effort into it, since they need to attract as many people to it as possible. However, if they produce a game based on an anime/manga/movie/whatever, they can slack off and will still sell heaps of copies to the fans (as long as the game isn't a complete pile of crap).

You pretty much missed the point. This isn't about character design etc. Just as dsx said, it's about the fact that it's a licensed game.

If a company produces an absolutely new game/franchise, they have to put great effort into it, since they need to attract as many people to it as possible. However, if they produce a game based on an anime/manga/movie/whatever, they can slack off and will still sell heaps of copies to the fans (as long as the game isn't a complete pile of crap).

See "Naruto: Ultimate Ninja" series.

also see "DBZ: Boudakai/ Tenkaichi" series.

Budokai is a good game to play with people who dont really play fighters, cos they can still pick it up.

But I'm sure Capcom have something good lined up... their misses in the fighting genre are few and far between.

• 3 weeks later...

Guilty Gear.

GUILTY GEAR.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Kwonho

and the official website

Kwonho is basically an mmorpg 3D fighting game. Basically the kind of thing I've always dreamed of but fread would never work. I'm going to try it out for myself soon, but I was just wondering if anyone else uses it and could comment on it.

Wow, thats interesting but I have never heard of it until now. Looks very interesting.

Just in case you don't know, that new Manga based 2D fighter from Capcom is called Sengoku Basara X and it is based off the the Sengoku Basara manga and anime series or Devil Kings as it is known in North America. Here are some screens.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0707/game070726b.shtml

This game looks very similar to Guilty Gear. I have also never heard of this series and from what I have seen, it doesn't interest me much. Still hoping it could turn out to be a good game.

Edit: It turns out Capcom is just publishing the game. Arc Systems, makers of Guilty Gear, is developing the game. This makes me even less excited.

Hey the manga thing was right

Looks like a less crazy version of Guilty Gear, think the Fist of the North Star game, but they gave them their weapons

I like the asist system, I'm wondering what the Lv. means, it looks pretty slick, hopefully it'll be good

EDIT: http://www.arcaderenaissance.blogspot.com/2007/07/sengoku-basara-x-images.html

Working images

• 1 month later...

I hereby ressurect this thread to

GET HYPE!

Evo world's are over, and I can't wait until there is some footage available. Apparently it was one of the best in recent history. New games were introduced (see: SSBM,) Crazy MM's ensued (Wong Vs. Choi, I belive,) and then there were of cousre upsets all over the place.

So, I suggest stopping by shoryuken.com for more info.

And for those of you who are too lazy to visit the page and find it for yoursleves: The Next Evo Moment

Anyone on the forums go? CatPhysician, I'm looking at you.