The 2D Fighter Thread

ILLiterate

There are just some games that kind of irk me, like Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct. They're fun, but not too deep. The major selling point was either the graphics, violence or huge combos that you can make. I get bored with them pretty easily. I will have to agree that UMK3 is no where near as good as MK Trilogy. My friend bought UMK3 for Xbox 360 and the number of characters you can pick feels very limited, probably around 20 or so? The whole roster from the series is huge though . Cyborg Sub-Zero is much better than the human version.

Maybe you should ask about this in the Nintendo DS thread. I'm sure you'll probably get more specific responses from there.

This is relevant to my interests. Hope to hell I can get in on that. I'll get my ass handed to me, I'm more than certain, but what the hell, gotta have fun somehow.

Word life, Oswald is one of my favorite characters in a long long time, not to mention Duck King and Mr. Big are back, just beautiful

Man, I got KoF 11 for months now, but i haven't play it thoroughly. I used to play it on my girlfriend's PS2, but shortly after that, we broke up. So i can't really play it anymore.

I need a PS3....

Anyone played on GGPO besides me, yet? When it's working, it's beautiful. There are many good players and there's so little unnecessary shit talking; it's jut gg's of SFA2 or MVC if that's your thing.

Not too bad for an Alpha build.

I play on GGPO. Same name as on OCRemix. I will agree that it's good and there are good players in general. But the person I played made me kind of sour. He was a whiny punk who just kept on falling for air throws all the time. I'll just stay away from him from now on.

Game: Guilty Gear XX Accent Core

Platform: PS2

If you live in NY/NJ/MA/CT, you must come to this so that I can meet you and probably lose to you.

I don't play any GG. Sorry.

I play on GGPO. Same name as on OCRemix. I will agree that it's good and there are good players in general. But the person I played made me kind of sour. He was a whiny punk who just kept on falling for air throws all the time. I'll just stay away from him from now on.

I mean in comparison to killiera and other more establisehd net battle places. However, it may only be a matter of time until GGPO turns into something like that; even more reason to play now while it's still fun and people don't have to resort to insulting you in order to get their kicks.

I've been playing KOF XI too a lot. Its really fun and easily my favorite of the Kof series. For some reason, everything about it justs seems much better than all the other games. The gameplay is tighter, the music is cool, the graphics look much cleaner, and the animation is great.

Now all I want is a U.S. version of Garou for PS2.

Edit: Also, did anyone see the Street Fighter IV Trailer analysis on Gamtrailers? Its pretty interesting. They caught a lot of things I never did.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28231.html

I just got XI today and I must say, I'm impressed. I'm working on clearing challenge mode to get me my unlockable characters (which bastard thought it was a good idea to make Mai an unlockable and to completely remove Leona? I hope he got fired for that one. Or at least a pay cut) and it can get to be genuinely, well, challenging. Overall I rate it a 9/10. The graphics, while great KOF 2D style (which I LOVE btw) come off as looking way too blurry as far as the sprites go, and I think that is easily avoidable; and a lack of online play, while understandable, is a tad disappointing, since ain't no one in my area who plays KOF. But all in all, an excellent game, really, very exciting and fast-paced, moreso than other KOF's that I've played. Oh, and it's tough to beat that price, so I'm not complaining :D

I mean in comparison to killiera and other more establisehd net battle places. However, it may only be a matter of time until GGPO turns into something like that; even more reason to play now while it's still fun and people don't have to resort to insulting you in order to get their kicks.

Definitely agreed. It has some promo stuff on Shoryuken, so people that go to that site usually have a good idea of how to play, if not honestly learning how to. Do you want to set up a match so I can beat you up?? Just kidding. :)

The graphics, while great KOF 2D style (which I LOVE btw) come off as looking way too blurry as far as the sprites go

You can disable the filtering on the sprites to make them less blurry in the options menu. If memory serves, there's 6 different levels of sprite filtering, with the lowest making the filter nonexistent (or at least close to it)

According to Screwattack, Street Fighter 3 Third Strike is a yet another 'best fighting game ever'.

I keep wondering about that because I agree SF3 needs more respect as a game in itself, SF2 was just too good for the first mainstream fighting game since it still holds up so well and I really haven't played anything quite as comprehensive as SFA3 in the Street Fighter canon.

blarg, SF3 is about as overrated as a 2d fighting game can get. I've seen good players in person (like Justin Wong) and I still can't see why people still play it seriously. The game is about Ken, Yun, and Chun and the wonders of standing across the screen whiffing attacks until they gain a super.

Not really a big SFA3 fan either, but I don't really have anything personal against it, I just don't like any custom combo based games.

Barring top competitions, most people never really use the custom combos in SFA anyway. Besides, it can be a bit cheap.

Oh RLY!?

If you don't like CCs stay the hell away from SFA2. And that's a legit warning. I'm not just trying to be mean.

And yeah, Katsu, we'll have to play sometime. My GGPO tag is TheGeneral. I'm usually free on Friday and Saturday nights/ evenings.

blarg, SF3 is about as overrated as a 2d fighting game can get. I've seen good players in person (like Justin Wong) and I still can't see why people still play it seriously. The game is about Ken, Yun, and Chun and the wonders of standing across the screen whiffing attacks until they gain a super.

Why does everyone think a fighting game has to be balanced to be good. SF3 might not be the most balanced but its still a good fighter, and its far from being broken like other fighters. I don't think its fair to base whether the game is good off how balanced it is. If that was the case, many fighters would be considered bad. And, most importantly, its just fun.

Why does everyone think a fighting game has to be balanced to be good. SF3 might not be the most balanced but its still a good fighter, and its far from being broken like other fighters. I don't think its fair to base whether the game is good off how balanced it is. If that was the case, many fighters would be considered bad. And, most importantly, its just fun.

I couldn't get into SF3. I was told by numerous people that I should move on from SFA3 (my favorite 2d fighter hands down), but Third Strike just doesn't have the magic that SSF2T and SFA3 do for some reason.

I admit that part of it may have to do with my resistance to an almost completely new roster, but I don't think that's clouding my judgement too much.

SF3 is definitely not the most balanced game. I think that the most balanced SF game would have to be SF2: Hyper Fighting. But what's great about SF3 is the parrying system and unique normals everyone has. It just gives you a lot to play around with. In contrast to SFA, it's really a return to the classic SF game and focuses in on mind games rather than huge combos.

As for SFA, SFA2 is probably the most balanced out of all of them. I've had a lot of fun playing both SFA2 and SFA3 though. It should be noted that A3 has an emphasis on air combos or juggling and custom combos. The CC's in the game really make the game unbalanced. Some CC's can even take away about 80% of your opponent's health, which is absolutely ridiculous. In addition, air combos really aren't characteristic of Street Fighter games in general. A3 kind of sticks out in that way. Custom combos in A2, while important, aren't really the key to winning. Most custom combos are easily blocked (as long as you block low). Stubborn or even new players will just build their meter to level 2 or even level 1 and constantly activate their cc. Chip damage is insignificant. Think of it as an all or nothing type of deal. It's not reliable, so you really have to pick and choose when you use it. I've always felt that A2 was a bit weird. Maybe it's the placement of the hitboxes or something like that. But there are some moves that should combo into each other, but they don't. It took me a while to get somewhat comfortable with the mechanics of the game.

Despite its misgivings, I've probably had the most fun with A3. That's just me though.