New OCR Podcast - Possiblity?

retroactive

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing ocr for over a year now; listining to music and the podcast.

And when the latter ended, I was, like most people, sad that it had to end.

So I've been thinking about making a (unoffical) ocr podcast, but before I do, I just want to make sure that at least a few people would be interested.

Thanks for letting me know,

retroactive

I can't say I know completely what the policy will be about this, but one of the important roles of the person doing the podcast is that he/she has to already be a visible figure in the community - you should hang around the forums and/or IRC more in order to really be in a position to be considered for it IMO.

I forgot to mention that it would be *unoffical*.

Well, doing a podcast featuring OCR material is fine... being the official OCR podcast is something else, djpretzel is really the only person who can give the go-ahead for that. But in general getting active in the community is a good idea.

I am defintly going to get involved in the community first.

I can't say I know completely what the policy will be about this, but one of the important roles of the person doing the podcast is that he/she has to already be a visible figure in the community - you should hang around the forums and/or IRC more in order to really be in a position to be considered for it IMO.

Actually, I believe that's not really the case. The person doing the podcast (be it official or unofficial) should have a good personality to make the show at least semi-interesting when they talk, have knowledge about the remixes/games that are being featured, and basically just know how to use the needed equipment. You don't need to be an OCR regular to have those traits. So whether they're new to the site, or a regular of several years, as long as they know what they're doing, saying, and don't come off as a bumbling dolt, I see no reason to hold community visibility over someone's head as long as they can prove their abilities :smile:

Of course, since this guy's asking about doing an unofficial podcast, it's a bit irrelevant.

Actually, I believe that's not really the case. The person doing the podcast (be it official or unofficial) should have a good personality to make the show at least semi-interesting when they talk, have knowledge about the remixes/games that are being featured, and basically just know how the use the needed equipment. You don't need to be an OCR regular to have those traits. So whether they're new to the site, or a regular of several years, as long as they know what they're doing, saying, and don't come off an a bumbling dolt, I see no reason to hold community visibility over someone's head as long as they can prove their abilities :smile:

Of course, since this guy's asking about doing an unofficial podcast, it's a bit irrelevant.

Of course, but if it's official, the person/people running it would be considered a part of OCR staff, which means taking on the responsibilities of the staff as a representative - it'd do no good to pick any random person who fits general good podcast traits if he/she holds views antithetical to the purpose of the site.

Of course, but if it's official, the person/people running it would be considered a part of OCR staff, which means taking on the responsibilities of the staff as a representative - it'd do no good to pick any random person who fits general good podcast traits if he/she holds views antithetical to the purpose of the site.

I completly agree. Which is why it would be an unoffical one. Mabye eventualy it would become an offical one, but that's not really a main priority, since I just want to have some fun and entertain people along the way.

A new podcast would be cool, but I liked the old one so much, I'd miss all the old features, and you can't just rip them off. I guess theres no sense in moaning about it though. Maybe whoever picks up a new one will pull a stunner on us.

I guess the thing I liked about VGDJ was the chemistry between the hosts worked really well. As long as you have that (maybe not to the point of romance this time :P) then it'll be entertaining.

What responsibilities? It's not like they'd be touring the country in a bus with "OCRemix" on the side amidst constant live media coverage :lol:

But seriously, to my un-podcast-initiated mind, their responsibilities would be pimping the show in a positive light, pimping the site and all its remixes in a positive light, and running the podcast (requests, interviews, play lists, setting up and arranging any needed mirrors/threads/downloads, etc). What other duties am I missing?

To be perfectly honest, I think we've all learned from past events that not everyone who works for a given company or site is the best person to speak for all of it (or parts of it). Sometimes you have to step outside that so-called "circle of trust", and bring in a fresh perspective... someone who hasn't been in constant contact with everything OCR. And chances are, if someone's that interested in being a part of the OCR line up, they wouldn't have major issues with the site. After all, why do volunteer work for something you can't stand?

Besides... it wouldn't be hard to set up a few simple rules... like, "Don't trash talk the site or its staff on the air", right? :wink:

Anyway, that's my take on it. I can see where you're coming from Bahamut, and I understand the concerns behind your views. Hopefully my point comes across at least reasonably well.

I agree with Coop. I think that making your own podcast about OCR is a great way to start getting involved with the community in the first place, and a "fresh perspective" is definitely needed; a podcast about OCR should be accessible to people who don't frequent the site, and having a host who is discovering things about the community makes it that much more real.

Don't worry too much about getting involved with the "community" first. Just do it and keep doing it. If you do a good job and people like it, then all the better.

I agree with Coop and Atmuh especially, but I think that it's really key to distinguish between A SINGLE OCR PODCAST and a slough of other podcasts that beef up and feature OCR all the time. I have a video game music podcast (http://www.songofthefates.com) and while asking permission to play people's remixes, they're almost always OCR ones - OCR is like the Oxford or Cambridge of video game music and the remixers/composers/arrangers are the up-and-coming (if not already established) scholars in the field. Lots of video game music is considered art music and art music has been studied for centuries.

Another example is the Super Koopa Troopa Show, who often had OCR remixes on (especially when Chrono Symphonic was released). The podcast knew where game music is, where it's going and who to turn to for high-quality reinterpretations of music that VGM fans love. The answer: right here.

OCR has a big presence in VGM podcasts, but the problem is not the quantity of OCR on other podcasts, but just the small volume of VGM podcasts out there, with VGDJ being the top of the food chain until January.

I'd be totally up for listening to some new podcasts and to keep plugging OCR on mine, but yeah, the line between "a single OCR podcast" and "a podcast that plugs OCR" is a pretty important one.

Well, I am very serious about doing the podcast. In my mind, larry would probably be the best person to do it with. Two non remixers, yet who have been around for a while would be able to give a different feel than what we have had before compared to aurora/rayza and pixietricks/wangless/zircon.

It would be like a weird "FUBU" that felt more at home with those that aren't remixers, yet who come here anyways.

And ya, my quarrel with the site is pretty much gone, but I still dislike offtop. Not the people there, just the sub forum itself.