New To Making Music; Critiques?

I'm new to creating my own music, so I wanted to know if I could post up some little samples I have on here. I use FL5.0 for my production, and I have yet to buy a MIDI controller. Basically, I'm definitely going to be lacking somewhere, be it depth of the music, variation, or what have you.

Hopefully I can post some .mp3 files on a free file host (if this is allowed), and you guys can help me figure out what my songs are missing, or give me any advice to make my music more professional.

Oh, I am for a type of darker goa trance. Think Dark Soho, Infected Mushroom, DJ Demonshaker, etc.

So, give me the okay and I'll post some up. :)

The progession of the song is good, you definitely have some talents in trance composition. You should work more on filling out the soundscape thoug, right now its still very empty. Make some more pronounced drum loops, and some stronger synths. Good start though : )

The progession of the song is good, you definitely have some talents in trance composition. You should work more on filling out the soundscape thoug, right now its still very empty. Make some more pronounced drum loops, and some stronger synths. Good start though : )

Whoo! Alright, cool, that's motivating. Yeah, I figured it lacks a bit of depth. I need more sounds thrown in there just to make it sound richer. At least, that's what I think you mean.

its pretty good quality, although im not that good at rating the quality of trance or instruments like that. its very repetive, it would be a pretty good loop, or more accurately a few good loops, but there is no substance to the song, it has no main goal, no developing creation at all. it doesnt work as a song in itself, but you could use it as a loop in a different song. good job for a first time though!

its pretty good quality, although im not that good at rating the quality of trance or instruments like that. its very repetive, it would be a pretty good loop, or more accurately a few good loops, but there is no substance to the song, it has no main goal, no developing creation at all. it doesnt work as a song in itself, but you could use it as a loop in a different song. good job for a first time though!

Well I actually had the idea of a longer progressing trance song in mind, which is why it starts to change, but I stopped it there. I planned for it to span 7-8 minutes or so.

How would you guys recommend I fill out the soundscape? I can't find anything else to fit in well to the little sequence I have running along with the bass. They kind've overpower anything else I put in, and I can't think of what else to do.

Do I try to have another sound effect carry the song with those, or do I add in stuff that comes in every, say, 8th beat or such?

It's definitely too repetitive imo, at least that pulsing synth on the 1 and 3 (which kinda reminds me of the "your car door is open" or "your seatbelt is unfastened" warning beep in most cars :P). But overall it's not bad as a start. Like The Lone Ranger said, it needs some structure and direction. This is where a little bit of music theory knowledge will help!

You could start by figuring out what key you're in, defining a chord progression, and writing some melodies that harmonize with it. Listen to your bassline and play melodies on top of it. You could have some pads or other sustained sounds follow the bassline to strengthen it and fill out the soundscape. Throw in some arpeggios or brief sequences of melody here and there that harmonize with the chords to fill out the landscape. Use your ears! The bass tends to be the backbone of the song in EDM. YMMV but I find it easier to define the bassline and basic chord progression before I start adding supplementing stuff; that way I know my foundation is solid.

Someone with real knowledge of theory could be more specific. I'm just offering my viewpoint as someone who only knows the basics and also writes EDM. :D

And hey, a lot of us also use FL, so feel free to post your FLP if you want some detailed help.

HTH.

If you want to give your bass more presence, which will help to thicken the low end of your soundscape, layer up multiple samples. For example, your current kick sounds very sharp and stacatto...layer than with a rounder kick to help balance it out, and alter thier volume and delay until you find a very balanced sound.

As for treble, I suggest working with more effects on your synths, like delay and reverb. In fact, those two effects are crucial for creating the phantasmic atmposphere associated with trance. Flanging and phasing can be good too, though its way too easy to go overboard with them , so be careful.