Tryanno Lair WIP

HoboKa

I'm working on Tyranno Lair, but I only have the intro part down. Unfortunately I'm only using the trial version of FL, so those of you who know what I'm talking about - it's a bitch.

Well, here we go http://media.putfile.com/hosting-assed-Tyranno-Lair-mix

Just put a waste bin next to your comp if you feel the need 2 barf...this is not my best mix (of the few I've tried so far)

I'm a big fan of this song too. ^_^ I don't know man. Is this the entire remix or the work-in-progress? I assume it's still in progress since it only covers the intro of the song. I'd like to think that anything that sticks this closely to the source would be enjoyable for me, but to be honest, I don't care for the type of sounds you chose to cover this with. If you want to use these sounds in a Tyranno Lair remix, then I would suggest changing up the melody a bit. Right now this is basically the exact same thing as the original but with different instruments and slower. Try altering a few pitches to throw it into a different kind of key or... something. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what the best course of action is, but I think the result you want is to rearrange that Tyranno theme with these sounds you've got so that it sounds like something that was written originally for the genre you're trying to put it in as opposed to a cover with different sounds, but at the same time make the listener say, "Oh yeah, I can hear the Tyranno Lair music in this." I hope that wasn't too complex. I wanna hear more after you've worked on it further.

I'm a big fan of this song too. ^_^ I don't know man. Is this the entire remix or the work-in-progress? I assume it's still in progress since it only covers the intro of the song. I'd like to think that anything that sticks this closely to the source would be enjoyable for me, but to be honest, I don't care for the type of sounds you chose to cover this with. If you want to use these sounds in a Tyranno Lair remix, then I would suggest changing up the melody a bit. Right now this is basically the exact same thing as the original but with different instruments and slower. Try altering a few pitches to throw it into a different kind of key or... something. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what the best course of action is, but I think the result you want is to rearrange that Tyranno theme with these sounds you've got so that it sounds like something that was written originally for the genre you're trying to put it in as opposed to a cover with different sounds, but at the same time make the listener say, "Oh yeah, I can hear the Tyranno Lair music in this." I hope that wasn't too complex. I wanna hear more after you've worked on it further.

Actually, that was just right, not complex at all, thx for the input. BUT unfortunately I can't save the file, so I have to start from scratch when I buy the full version of FruityLoops...the trial version only lets me export the songs into .WAV or MP3, I can't save them =/

It's good to know that I'm not inept though, lol

• 2 months later...

I don't think I'm familiar with the source so I'll have to appologise that I can't comment on how it compares with that. How far along with this are you, I'm kinda hoping your in the early stages since it is a little short ^^; I like the atmosphere of this though, could you point me in the direction of what it's an arrangment of?

//Xi

I don't think I'm familiar with the source so I'll have to appologise that I can't comment on how it compares with that. How far along with this are you, I'm kinda hoping your in the early stages since it is a little short ^^; I like the atmosphere of this though, could you point me in the direction of what it's an arrangment of?

Chrono Trigger, the Tyranno Lair "level/area" (it's the place where you fight the Reptites and their big T-Rex guy). I intend to make this song quite a bit longer, with a trancy-feel in the second half.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah what the heck, I'll do an in-depth commentary for ya.

0:00 - 1:23 Ah yes, the atmospheric intro is where it's at in the source-tune (IMO), so you should definitely capitalize on it. It's definitely evocative and atmospheric enough with the string pads and everything, but it's kind of incoherent, I think it needs a bit more structure

1:24 - 2:59 I think this whole part is very redundant, the whole soundscape seems to take a step back in comparison to the previous section. A 3-minute intro though? I know Trance is all about the build-up, but 3 minutes is way too long, IMO you could actually cut this whole part out.

3:01 - 4:15 Production-wise you're doing pretty good, and you've arranged the original quite skillfully, but it just doesn't work for me here. I admit, the source tune is hard to remix (speaking from experience here), but there's something in the chord progression that doesn't make it pleasant to listen to at all.

The lack of a real lead, and the presence of the choral pads doesn't do much for a forward drive that's often needed to keep a trance song interesting. It also suffers from too much repetition, but IMO that's not so much the problem as the previous issues.

4:16 - 5:10 This transition feels extremely awkward, and "un-trancish" (though I'm not a trance listener myself). You shouldn't suddenly let everything come to a full stop, but maybe opt for some subdued bass or drum pattern to connect the loose ends. The section itself is moderately interesting because of the odd drum-pattern and the sfx, but it still doesn't do a whole lot for me.

5:17- End

Seems basically like a copy+ paste of the third section, with maybe one additional drum pattern. It needs some lead or plucked arpeggio's or whatever, so you get that ultimate-conclusion-epic-feel where all instruments start playing together (or whatever =P) before the end of the track so you can get a suitable ending. Speaking of ending, this one really doesn't fit, it's way too sudden etc.

As a conclusion; you obviously know your way around synthesizers, sfx and the like, what I'd suggest you do is listen to a track similar to what you're aiming for, and try to implement the model (intro - build-up - main thingy - bridge - outro- etc.) to your mix. Basically you got the loose sections done, now you have to fit them together in a working formula.

Wow, thanks man, it's good to have some real input. Yeah I tried something different and messed up I guess, I'll cut down the intro and see if I can change up the lead synth. In my own head the trancy part sounded on key and pleasant, but I guess that's my own opinion lol. I'm new to FL, but I get better each day ;)

Well, honestly, if I were you, I'd cut out the entire first part of the song (up to around 1:30?) (with the heartbeat type things) and just start from the weird piano part instead... The intro is way too long... and I kinda feel that the heartbeat thing is a little corny, or just not executed like you may have originally been aiming for.

What you do with the source material is creative as far as trance may go, but I think much more can be done...The theme itself is very versatile to work with, so just experiment with the melody and countermelody and the chord progression some more, because I think you really need a more dynamic build as the song progresses.

Well, honestly, if I were you, I'd cut out the entire first part of the song (up to around 1:30?) (with the heartbeat type things) and just start from the weird piano part instead... The intro is way too long... and I kinda feel that the heartbeat thing is a little corny, or just not executed like you may have originally been aiming for.

What you do with the source material is creative as far as trance may go, but I think much more can be done...The theme itself is very versatile to work with, so just experiment with the melody and countermelody and the chord progression some more, because I think you really need a more dynamic build as the song progresses.

Oh dear...I wish you said that earlier. I cut out the part with the weird piano :S but I think I can do that over again.

BTW, what does "countermelody" and "chord progression" mean :S? I'm a newb to musical terminology and theory.

Well, I started over and retained some of the song. Keep in mind that it's even more "WIP-y" than the last song, therefore there's a few notes that are unpleasant to the ear and some of it is kinda loud...

-All I really need to know is this heading in the right direction?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HG9HTBFG Hope you like it.

• 1 month later...

That was an old pile of crap. Trust me, you don't want to hear it. But LagunaCloud and I are collaborating on the Tyrano Lair remix now, (plus he knows quite a bit more about tempo and melody than I so there's a good chance we'll hit pay dirt). Anywho, it's kinda boring but at least the melody is more or less correct.

http://media.putfile.com/new-idea2

productionwise, this is slowly getting there. However, in terms of arrangement, I think the intro is drawn out wayyyyyyy tooooo long, I would end it at 0:28. I can't say I like the fourth chord you're using in the intro either (0:07, 0:21), it's unexpected, and it doesn't work for me at all. When you get to the main melody I think you could make things pick up a bit more, add percussion, or at least SOMETHING that isn't playing long, drawn-out chords. The long slow passages work for half a minute at most, after that it really sounds like you're just noodling around. I know you're probably purposefully going for a dissonant approach, but the high violin is so dissonant it makes me cringe. The explosion at the end is totally out of place, it made me chuckle though =P

What you've got now is a half minute intro that's drawn out to two and a half minute, so I suggest you cut out about two minutes and start making a section where things really pick up.

Actually the introduction is 45 seconds long. The main melody is the piano and its support instruments ><. I was thinking of adding in a certain form of percussion but its hard to do so, without making it sound out of place. Laguna was thinking of maybe using a timpani and bongos, because rock drums just don't fit with it at all (as well as techno drums). We still intend to keep it dissonant though I'm sure that we can find ways to make not all of the instruments sound long and drawn out. Keep in mind, its not done yet, so when we do finish it, then we'll do some more heavy editting ^^ - we hadn't actually intended to submit this to the WIP forums until later, but eh shit happens.

Thanks for the tips Sensai-Tan.