Firewalls and Warcraft 3

Final_metroid

I have McAffe firewall (yes i know) and it doesn't block my acess to battlenet, however no one can join my custom games. I have tried allowing the network on mcaffe, as well as allowing port/ip that warcraft uses. however, it still isn't working. Any suggestions?

Also, since basically everyone here complains about how bad Mcaffe is when I bring it up, what is better? I know everyone recommends NOD 32, but how is Norton? I can get a free subscription but im not sure if I want to make the switch.

Its worth asking if you have a hardware firewall (usually a router), if so, you will have to open port 6112 (look that one up, its been a few years), other then that, if you are on a college network, there are often firewalls elsewhere that you will have no control over.

im not on a college network. And yes its a router, any specific suggestions/directions for how to make the change?

and also, I was thinking that was going to happen with norton.. (apparently several years of shittiness have done nothing to make it rectify itself), so, how is symantec then? and if thats also terrible, why does everyone love NOD 32?

I've had good luck with both AVG and Avira Antivir. Both have free flavors that work fine, and from the reviews I've seen are not the best, but still do very well in the ratings. They both are pretty lightweight when it comes to system resources, but the Avira update can be annoying; it leaves a pop-up box when it's done saying you should pay them money for the pro version.

Yeah, stay away from Norton. Symantec is the company that owns Norton (or something like that), so it's really the same product. Don't pay to renew McAffee. I haven't had bad experiences with it, but there is just as good software for free elsewhere.

No experience with NOD32, but I too have heard good things about it.

• 2 weeks later...