OCR00718 - Final Fantasy VI "Oldschool Opening"

Ginnsu

Final Fantasy VI 'Oldschool Opening'

Ok, let's start off with the instrumentation: the bassline bugs me and the synth guitars are... well... way too synthetic. I can't say that I'm liking this mix at all. On the up side, those 'chip tune' style echoed bleeps are a really nice idea. The sound on them (especially compared to everything else) is amazing. The arrangement is nice as well, but from what I hear it doesn't stray much from the original anyways. Oh, and one more thing: this tune reminds me way to much of Zelda. Sorry, Nicholai, but this just won't be on my list of keepers.

SAWEET MERCIFUL BELGIUM!

Where were you keeping this?

This, this rules!

Such a brilliant idea, I'd like to hear more remixes done with SID.

The ending is a little abrupt but still........

I dont care! ITS A SID MIX

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well, either yer a fan of the SID or ya ain't.

Since I grew up on the C64, there's a spot in my heart for any SID remix on something that frankly has been done to death round here. You gotta admit, the whole point of the thing was "oldschool", even older than the original, and it works. It's not stupendous aural bliss overload or anything, but it's short, it's sweet, and ya know what, it's not bad, it does exactly what it sets out to do, a retro take on a tune that's been played around here several times.

6.5/10.

I recently registered in these forums, and thought i'd drop a line or two on your comments.

First of all, I loved the critics, both good and bad. It's always fun when I get a opinion of some work of mine :D

Ginnsu: I used no "guitars", and the tune was ment to sound synthetic. That was kinda the whole idea. Thanks for the criticism though! You go for more acoustic music eh?

The rest: Thank you very much for your positive response. It might help me doing more oldschool covers! :D

If I were to do more chipcovers, what would you like to hear a cover of?

Love / Nich

I recently registered in these forums, and thought i'd drop a line or two on your comments.

If I were to do more chipcovers, what would you like to hear a cover of?

Love / Nich

Welcome to the board, Nicholai :)

I really like chiptune remakes of music(not already chiptuned of course), but this was extra special. It wasn't all 8-bit flat-synth waves, but it had some synth bell sounds too, and the rhythm... OOOOhhhh, I'm in love ;)

If I were to choose one, I would want a pop song to be remixed into a chiptune(like virt's thong song remake) :P Well, since it is videogames, I would want something from Final Fantasy 10. Some users on this board and others say that music from newer games can't be re-arranged to anything new, because they're already as good as they could get. So I say "de"mix them as chiptunes, lol!

Also, I make original music on MIDI.... sorry, I've plugged this too much!

*If you want to chat with me more about this, send me a private message... I don't get that many :(

Yet another great Terra's Theme, and with that crazy GameBoy-esque sound. I find myself wishing it were longer.

Ooh, more in this style? Sounds good to me. I don't think anyone's done Tal Tal Heights from The Legend of Zelda IV: Link's Awakening - probably since it's so obscure - but hey, I'd like to hear it, certainly in this chiptune style. Good work here.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I was in a grumpy mood when I posted my thoughts on this mix. Good thing I did enjoy some of it. I must say, much respect for anybody who can take the critizism and turn it into inspiration. ;) Dispite my thoughts, you obviously have a an ability to please a majority. Keep remixing Nicholai.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
This isn't my favorite remix of the Tina theme, but definately original.

:caugh: Terra :hack:

Cool that at least one Terra remix has the melody when you walk that ice field to Narche. The synths, well, they weren´t professional, but Nicholai here still gave it a feel that somehow makes me like this mix. I don´t really get the deal with the title, what has this mix in common with a oldschool opening?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

A quick stroll down Terra lane. There's no big statement here that hasn't been stated plenty of times before, but I still find this to be a strong version of the source.

The chiptune approach sounds great to my ears; it's reminiscent of the flurry of retro chip-infused mainstream music these days, though not quite AS professional sounding. But in this mix's defense, it does have those Arkanoid samples.

This lacks really standout ideas, and I also wouldn't have minded a repeat of the main melody just to give it some staying power, but in all it serves me well enough. Nice job.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00718 - Final Fantasy VI "Oldschool Opening"