Empire Arcadia Protest

Merk

This is the reverse of what people like Jack Thompson do. Jack Thompson uses tragedies to portray games as evil. These folks are using a tragedy to portray games as good. I personally don't see any difference. Using a tragedy for your agenda is using a tragedy for your agenda no matter how you look at it, especially since games haven't really been dragged into this thing, aside from that initial interview with Jack Thompson that no one outside of the game community cares about.

This is the reverse of what people like Jack Thompson do. Jack Thompson uses tragedies to portray games as evil. These folks are using a tragedy to portray games as good. I personally don't see any difference. Using a tragedy for your agenda is using a tragedy for your agenda no matter how you look at it, especially since games haven't really been dragged into this thing, aside from that initial interview with Jack Thompson that no one outside of the game community cares about.

I was sort of thinking that way too. Which is why my original post was "what do you think of this" and not "hey go do this".

My problem with that persepctive is that if people dont take a stand and just let people bash it stuff like the current ratings system happen. Games dont get made concepts never get completed. You know how close to the edge the gaming industry came in then 90's due to incidents like this guys. It may be using tragedy but if something isnt said then what?

If I could go to this, I'd SO be there in a heartbeat. I'm tired of people like Jack Thompson. People say to ignore him, but doing that won't make him go away. In fact, everyone should educate people on who he is. A lot of people, mainly adults, that have never played a video game in their life take in this crap. They're listening to someone who is portrayed as an "expert", so they're going to believe what he is saying.

Jack Thompson says the military trains their soldiers with games such as Counter-Strike. Wtf? I thought soldiers trained with real guns.

I like how he compares smoking to video games in this video. So if he ever gets violent video games banned, I guess cancer sticks will be banned as well.

My problem with that persepctive is that if people dont take a stand and just let people bash it stuff like the current ratings system happen. Games dont get made concepts never get completed. You know how close to the edge the gaming industry came in then 90's due to incidents like this guys. It may be using tragedy but if something isnt said then what?

Said about what? Games haven't been made a big deal in the shooting. Why bring them in? Anybody want to organize a protest against the VA tech shooting for chess fans? It'd make as much sense. I think it's kind of stupid to protest against something anyways that almost everyone with the exception of total nut jobs accepts as bad.

If this were like Columbine and everyone was screaming "DOOOOOOM!!! It's Doom's fault!!!" I could see it. Otherwise it's much ado about nothing.

Said about what? Games haven't been made a big deal in the shooting. Why bring them in? Anybody want to organize a protest against the VA tech shooting for chess fans? It'd make as much sense. I think it's kind of stupid to protest against something anyways that almost everyone with the exception of total nut jobs accepts as bad.

If this were like Columbine and everyone was screaming "DOOOOOOM!!! It's Doom's fault!!!" I could see it. Otherwise it's much ado about nothing.

In my opinion those comments are only a matter of time. I do not know who will be the first. But i am certain they will be made once enough time has passed. Once the shock of it all has faded from the minds of the public at large. Just watch it will happen.

I think this would be a good idea. Not just to fight Jack Tompson, but to mourn together, and gather as a collective community of gamers and have a public face.

Unfortunately, yes, they are in dire need of an editor. I read their articles fairly often, and I can't see how anyone just looking at this stuff from a neutral perspective could take the website seriously due to it's unfinished look and bad grammar/ spelling.

Empire Arcadia is (are?) the shit, but yeah, you guys pretty much summarized what's wrong here. This might be a good idea if JT or somebody tried to pin the shootings on games, but thus far noone's really made that the thrust of their argument. There's good cause for that, since dude was in fact not a gamer, and they found zero games in his dorm. Nonetheless, if somebody tried to pull some serious BS (and Mr. Thompson has done so before,) then a gamer-based demonstration of some sort might not be a terrible idea.

Empire Arcadia is (are?) the shit, but yeah, you guys pretty much summarized what's wrong here. This might be a good idea if JT or somebody tried to pin the shootings on games, but thus far noone's really made that the thrust of their argument. There's good cause for that, since dude was in fact not a gamer, and they found zero games in his dorm. Nonetheless, if somebody tried to pull some serious BS (and Mr. Thompson has done so before,) then a gamer-based demonstration of some sort might not be a terrible idea.

Yeah, I definitely can't go to youtube at school (or be banned from the labs here.) Anyway, if that's the interview with Jack where he mentions violent media then I'm familiar with it, but since then most of the focus has been on campus policies and so on as opposed to censorship and the like.

Oh the irony.

Spelling and grammar errors aside, it's an interesting idea... wait, nope. The spelling and grammar errors ruin it for me. That ad is horrible. Painful, almost. They're not doing "gamers" any favors here. It's pretty embarassing, really.

It was much better when they posted it on Shoryuken.com, a lot of people are interested. It might even do some good