N64 VST plugins

ReMiX

N64 didn't use midi. It was probably closer to a form of s3m or xm. I think there was a XM loader tool for developers but I'm not too sure about that one. Seems plausible though.

There wasn't really any standard "GM kit" developers had to use. Much like the SNES, they could load their own samples, within limits. For example, your samples on the SNES had to total 64k or less per song, and on the N64... well, I'm not sure about that one. Probably something much higher.

If you want samples that sound like they were used on a N64, just downsample them until they sound right. Probably 8-16 bit/22050 hz or thereabouts.

Wait wait wait.

Didn't Perfect Dark use MP3 music or something? Wouldn't that mean it could sample all the way up to 16/44.1? Hmmmm...

Aha! From Wikipedia:

The RSP, as said, also frequently performs audio functions (although the CPU can be tasked with this as well). It can playback virtually any type of audio (dependent on software codecs) including uncompressed PCM, MP3, MIDI, and tracker music. The RSP is capable of a maximum of 100 channels of PCM at a time, but this is with 100% system utilization for audio. It has a maximum sampling rate of 48 kHz with 16-bit audio. However, storage limitations caused by the cartridge format limited audio size (and thus quality).

So the 64 could do all sort of random shizz wih sound, if you weren't doing anything else. =/