OCR01572 - Final Fantasy Adventure "Notes on a Revelation in a Public Place"

djpretzel

In Search of the Holy Sword is the best track from FFA. I've been waiting ages for a mix of it to hit OCR.

This is downright beautiful. Perhaps quite a bit more liberal than I'd like, since I love the melody of the original, but once I stopped trying to pick out every fragment of melody, the whole thing came together.

And that's when 3:27 hit. Easy connection with the source just came down like a hammer. Total love. <3

Awesome stuff dude, more FFA mixes is always a good thing. I actually really like the ending. I actually think the new age type of of feel this has goes very well with the FFA soundtrack. The various elements although individually might seem different work well together. I def think it ziwtra usual attention to detail and timing that pulls it through. Very calming yet upbeat at the same time. Haha the voices at 3:34 were a nice touch. Def a keeper.

This has a nice vibe, but it might a be a little far out for even me...I had a hard time even hearing a connection to the game at first, and I still can't identify any source material at all between 0:47 and 2:10. The partwriting for the accompaniment is also kind of weird and distracting at a few places.

But yeah, it's still pretty chill. Just not really for me, I guess.

And Reading Rainbow was awesome. :(

This took me several listens to completely grasp, since the structure seemed a bit strange to me, but there are plenty of immediate, smaller hooks that keep it interesting. The larger hooks begin to emerge after a few more listens, and I can start to get a feel for it as a whole, rather than several connected sections.

At first it seemed that the transitions aren't very strong, but once I had gotten a grasp of the mix as a single unit, their subtlety became less of a detriment. I still think that the fills could be a bit stronger between sections, but they are by no means weak transitions.

I think the best part of this mix is the evocative imagery that it (and most of Zwitra's work) brings up. I don't normally associate colors and music, but somehow when I listen to this, I get a really strong feeling of subtle blues and greens. Cool stuff, but it's kindof distracting, especially here at work. :P

Regardless of how crazy I am this morning, this is one you have to work for a little, but it really pays off.

Phenomenal work, and highly recommended.

This is one of the most liberal arrangements I've ever heard on this site. I didn't recognize the source in the first few minutes either, though it does seem like there are sketchy allusions to it. Agreed with CHz, trying to pick out the source isn't very fruitful; this mix seems better enjoyed as a mood/atmospheric piece. The last minute slapped a huge grin on my face. :D It does seem more "inspired by" than "remix of," though.

Welcome back Ziwtra,

Your Rain In Chicago (Blue Fields) mix is still one of my favorites here. This is no exception, the atmosphere and ambiance is relaxing and the production is bright and very tight. There's a lot of thought and creativity in the mix whilst maintaining a pseudo-minimalism. This actually sounds a lot like something outta the Square Enix Bootlegs they've been releasing, most of it being melodic electronic pieces.

Verdict: SEXCELLENT

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow, this one is, at least for me, easier to listen to than ziwtra's release from a few months ago, A dream is not a mission. The chill-out atmosphere is here throughout the whole song, and even the subway noises don't disturb it. Everything just works together very smoothly, and that's what makes a good song. Nice work.

• 8 months later...

Ive listened to OCR for years and one of the first remixers I found on the site about 5 years ago was Ziwtra's Downwind piece. He might just be my favorite remixer on the site. I really have enjoyed all of his songs for years and between listening to them in my car, or in my mp3 player while jogging or at home while doing various things; I would be willing to say he is someone that I would pay money to listen to his music.

I am very glad he came back because for awhile I was unsure if he had just disappeared on everyone. I hope he does continue to make music because he is so good at it.

As for this piece its very relaxing its almost something you should fall asleep to at night. The relatively uptempo part of this song starts at 2:46 and is definitely the best part. But really this song is one of his more mellow pieces in general. Its definitely easy listening and considering I haven't played FFA since I was a kid so I am not to familiar with the source off hand but I do recall Square making some memorable tunes on this limited hardware for both this game and FFLII for example.

The subway part of the song is a decent interlude and certainly sets it apart from most other remixes. Well thats enough of a novel from me, I hope ziwtra finds desire and opportunity to create more music for us.

• 2 years later...

Sweet mother of mercy, I LOVE these intros. Ziwtra continues to bring them to the table and this one is NO exception. Mr. Hahn creates tone and mood better than most anyone I've ever heard. The SFX of the subway station was an interesting and daring choice. If the SFX was a little better quality, I would have enjoyed it a bit more I think. I can certainly see the point in having it, but the execution of it was a little weak for my tastes. Afterward though, he brings it back with glitched out drums, glittery synths, and a great vibe. Excellent vibe, to be honest. I love the gated low synth/bass. Even though the guitar is sequenced, the addition of it was wonderful. Awesome AWESOME job here.

• 7 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01572 - Final Fantasy Adventure "Notes on a Revelation in a Public Place"
  • 2 years later...

This is a beautiful piece, but that sound effect of an old office phone ringing really took me out of it.  The muted walla works for the tone, but those "public place" sounds open with a very distracting phone ring that just takes me out of the groove.