OCR00111 - Super Mario Bros. "Da Pipes"

Super Mario Bros. 'Da Pipes'

Franz Keller gives us a slowed down dark rendition of the Super Mario Bros. trade mark tune. Instantly the drums (the claps of which are extremely wide might I add) remind me of some kind of hip-hop beat, like Nelly's stuff (but in a good way). An analogish bass synth with delay plays the main melody, often interrupted by a variety of vinyl, beep, voice and break samples which help the main beat do it's job. Sadly, nothing much changes in the mix apart from what's already stated. I think if this mix was extended and incorporated more elements it would have been a lot better. Still, it's very well mixed, and I do like the overall sound of things. Nice job.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I might be the only one thinkin this but, I don't like one bit. It hurtz mia ears too much for me to even listen to it in da first place. I liked the original way better then this thingy. Maybe cuz the original dosen't hurt me like the sound of bees stinging me in the ear over and over again. Dunno, not dissin the artist or anything. Just think that he coulda tried something less painful.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The underground theme has always been my favorite song from SMB. It's so catchy! 8) Anyway, I love that song, and I love hip-hop. This ReMix pulls them both off great. I really like that scratch at the beginning, too, it really sets the mood for the rest of the song. I'd give it a 9/10.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I understand what people are saying about the stabbing snare. Ouch. It's like each snare hit is bustin a cap in my ears. ;_; Either the rest of the track needs to come up, or it needs to come down. As far as the rest of the track, the synth is pretty cool and subterranean, but a little delay-heavy, and the B section has a cool changeup from the original. I think a non-delayed sub bass would help anchor the track a bit more, and something more going on in the high end besides some occasional chimes and that drive-by snare would fill things out. Another minute of some additional material would be nice as well.

• 2 years later...

Hard to believe this was made 9 years ago. Very simple mix that would work really well as the backing track for a hiphop/rap track. I didn't have a problem with the snare. The transition into the gentle four on the floor section was interesting. I didn't really like the abrupt ending and would have liked to have heard more happen and for a little more growth in the track, but on the whole, simple isn't a bad thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Two main factors make Da Pipes super-engaging:

1) Mostly due to the snap/clap snare, the whole thing plods along like a dude in baggy clothing carrying a stereo on his shoulder and taking loose but heavy steps to the beat. Which is hilarious in my mind.

2) Gargly startup sound, wahs on reverb, chewy/slimy lead... let's just say that most synths are processed so much like distorted human voices that you can almost imitate them using your own voice.

Additionally, the breathy winds and snare beat changeup nearly miss each other so often that I'm left smiling when they finally cross paths at 1:37.

Can't go wrong with this funky adaptation. :-D

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Gonna have to agree with anyone who said this would be a great fit for some old hip hop, especially for one of those folks who like to freestyle over beats. I've heard it done with much simpler stuff on youtube, so this would work for that. When looked at in that context, the age and length of the mix aren't the most damaging things to it. Think I would prefer this mix that way rather than on it's own. It's all in the perspective, but other than that, not bad.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00111 - Super Mario Bros. "Da Pipes"
  • 7 years later...