Miyamoto among the nominees for Time's 100 most influential people of the year

Broken

I just read about this today, and I'm really excited. I think this could not only be great recognition for Miyamato and his accomplishments, but also shed some positive light on the game industry.

I don't think I really need to say this, but go vote for him. Steve Colbert is currently the top ranked candidate.

link

Pretty awesome that Miyamoto is holding strong at #2. The other four twats in the top five are hilarious, though. When has Bono been culturally relevant in the last...uh, 15 years? Colbert, meh...his cultural impact is meager compared to most of the others near the top of that list. And Rowling? Her influence has been...to make kids buy and read Harry Potter books. NOT to read more in general. Not to revitalize the flaccid carcass of fantasy. Just to milk the cashcow. That philandering hack even denies being a "fantasy" author. What a joke. And who the hell is the hockey player. I am disgruntled. Go Miyamoto-san! Crush charlatans!

PRO: Most successful game designer, creator of Super Mario, Donkey Kong and The Legend of Zelda, whose new platform, the Wii, is currently the top-selling game console.

CON: His perfectionist tendencies often result in games being significantly delayed and, despite the Wii's gameplay innovation, its graphics are far behind the competition.

Haha, I'm pretty sure the PRO outwieghs the CON by at least 10 times.

100 for him and 1 for Colbert :D

EDIT: lol at #203

With the popularity of the Wii, it makes sense that he's high up there, I voted for him.

However, my obnoxious Harry Potter fandom has to interject...

And Rowling? Her influence has been...to make kids buy and read Harry Potter books. NOT to read more in general. Not to revitalize the flaccid carcass of fantasy. Just to milk the cashcow. That philandering hack even denies being a "fantasy" author. What a joke. And who the hell is the hockey player. I am disgruntled. Go Miyamoto-san! Crush charlatans!

I'd Say JK Rowling is pretty effing influential. All Miyamoto has done is gotten a bunch of video game nerds to play more video games... (Note the sarcasm) Rowling said she didn’t set out to write a fantasy novel, it just ended up being that way, she doesn’t deny that its fantasy. And the generalization that only kids read Harry Potter is so over used. Yes, I know the majority of fans are children, but for a children’s book, it has an awful lot of adult fans.

Wow, I'm actually surprised Crosby (of the Sidney variety :-P) is so high up there! Sure, he's garnered more media attention than any NHL player in a long time, but the NHL's influence isn't THAT far reaching (although I wish it was ;-)).

... go Canucks!

Wow, I'm actually surprised Crosby (of the Sidney variety :-P) is so high up there! Sure, he's garnered more media attention than any NHL player in a long time, but the NHL's influence isn't THAT far reaching (although I wish it was ;-)).

... go Canucks!

I really hadn't heard of him till this year either.

but Canucks??? naw.

Go Sabres!

Yeah, Rowling might have been a good choice when Sorcerer's Stone came out, but even then, whatever happened to that lawsuit for plagiarizing some lady's stuff? As for the others, Bono? What the hell has he done this year? Colbert? If anyone from that set, shouldn't it be Jon Stewart? You don't hear people shouting Colbert Stewart '08. Crosbey I can maybe understand; I don't keep up with hockey and I've heard something about how ridiculous this kid is supposed to be. Still, it is hockey. Not soccer, football, basketball, baseball, etc.

That having been said, go 'Canes.

I don't think any of you realize how many people tune in to the Colbert Report every night

here's a hint: it's a fucking lot

and the fact that so many people are willing to watch a show that clearly satirizes the extremist republican mindset, while still managing to be legitimately hilarious... at a time when at LEAST 50% of the country is against our current republican president

uh, yeah... not influential, my ass

I'll have them substitute you for that random Hockey player that I've never heard of who is # 3.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHO CROSBY IS!?!

Edit: and now I've read the rest of the replies and see that my post is rather redundant.

and I second the go canucks notion. Luongo rocks the socks. I'm a hometown fan though. DON'T BOMB THIS TIME SENS.

• 2 weeks later...